Ricki - Ready to be seen

How much food is "normal"?

Hey guys,

I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and started mushies as instructed at the 2wk mark.

The dietician said to do 1/2 cup portions...... well i'm here to tell ya I can hardly fit in 1/4 cup or 100ml !!

I'm concerned I'm not getting enough protein as I'm feeling really tired all the time. I've read other posted were people are managing whole cups in the mushie phase..... I can't even do a full protein shake!!!

Is it possible that my sleeve is too small do you think or am I just being paranoid?

Ricki

I have found that the longer i've been on mushies the more i can fit in. Initially i was lucky to get in a third of a cup, now i can fit in a half cup, i'm two weeks into my mushies, that said some days i can't get the half cup in.

Don't stress, you'll still have some swelling happening that reduces how much you can fit in, just keep going with what you can fit and maybe try adding in an extra meal to increase your calories/protein.

• Like 1

Am just going in to week 4 and still finding it had to get a cup (250ml) of food in I can drink that in tea ,coffee and a cuper soup but normal food is still very hard am only getting around 500 calories a day and my weight loss has stop because am knot eating. I am drinking ok but sometime it's easy to drink than eat.

Maybe try liquids for another week and then try mushies again. Maybe the swelling hasn't gone down fully yet.

When I started on mushies I was lucky to get 1/3 a cup in-you have to wait for the swelling to go down a bit more-drink your optifast shakes or equivalent and that should help-this is the time to really start training your brain to agree with your stomach that it is getting full-at his stage I ate every 3 hours or so to one get protein in and also train my brain-also unflavoured protein can help boost your protein intake and put it in everything it helps heaps

100ml/100gm is all I can manage and I am starting to feel lethargic as a result. I am hopeful that things will improve in due course because there is a long list right now of things I cannot tolerate or keep down. Multivitamin is one of them. We just need time to heal I think. :)

Don't stress darling. I spoke to my dietician about this the other day... Preparing for mushies, she said just go a teaspoon to 2 teaspoons to start and gradually move up but slow and steady wins the race. It's just like the fluids (well it was for me)... I couldn't do much at all but gradually I found I could have a little more each time and finally managed 150mls. It just took a little while.

On the protein side, I have the same worry and my dietician told me to get some BeneProtein to put into my food...it's tasteless and will help get protein into you which is why you'll be tired etc. it's all about trying to get all the good stuff into you :-)

I'm also going to give those musashi drinks a go which was another recommendation by the dietician.

Just gotta find what works for you and give your tummy time to settle xo

Where do you get beneprotein from? I'm trying to find ways of increasing my protein and think this would help, i'm feeling ok but know i'm not eating enough, i reckon i'm lucky to get 500 calories a day and probably getting around 40g of protein a day

Where do you get beneprotein from? I'm trying to find ways of increasing my protein and think this would help, i'm feeling ok but know i'm not eating enough, i reckon i'm lucky to get 500 calories a day and probably getting around 40g of protein a day

I had a bit of trouble finding it.. Looks like its a Nestlé brand I think. Only place i could find it was online at www.pharmacyonline.com.au.

It took me a good long while to get up to 1/2 a cup!  I was lucky if i got 3 spoons of mushies - ie i could not finish a small p&g from kfc, i would share it with my toddler.  Take your time, eat comfortably, as you heal you will do better

• Like 1