amyg1988

SBS Tonight - A negative bandit :(

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone had seen this today?

Looks like this woman is out on a rampage against the lap band!!!

She's written this article and is featured on tonight's Insight on SBS One at 8.30pm.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/health-and-fitness/dl-wellbeing/is-lapband-surgery-worse-than-obesity-20130527-2n6qm.html

Hmmmm....I found this so unmotivating!

reading that all i can see is that she expected the band to do all the hard work and jumped into it without knowing much about it, everything i read told me about the complications especially erosion. i dont think mentally she was ready for band, but thats only going on what i read. to tell the doctor give me the band or i am going to kill myself should have been a big red flag for the GP.

• Like 5

I saw it too. I thought all her follow up care must not have been ideal. It's a shame that the negative stories get the most attention. 

• Like 2

meh. I have no opinion one way or the other.

she is probably taking things too far, but she's doing what anybody with any experience does.

all the people with bad experiences want to share and warn people.

all the people with good experiences want to share and encourage people.

unfortunately its the bad stories that get the media attention.

its not for us to judge whether or not she was ready for it or whether or not she did everything to work with the band. some people are just unlucky and complications CAN occur. roll of the dice of life, i'm afraid.

• Like 9

There are always going to be negative and positive experiences and feedback, its life. I have plenty of bad things to say about the band as well. It hasn't been the most perfect thing but it has changed my life as well. And yeah she is probably exaggerating a lot of it and if she isn't she has had a lot of back luck! I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

• Like 1

I have to say that she sounded mentally unfit and her head problems were never fixed first which is a big thing my surgery practise focus on. saying she might as well be dead if she's fat is alarming. 

And she wasn't taking vitamins. I get regular blood tests to test my levels and I'm on a good quality vitamin because of that! I know they small amount of lap band food cannot sustain people over a long period of time and wonder why her dietician never bothered to question this?

Unfortunately a band erosion sucks but she could be in a far worse situation if she never had lapband, she could be even heavier with other major problems or in her own words ' dead'

Not trying to be too judging,  taking to yourself with a scalpel? That's a terrible place to be in and I really hope she gets the help she needs so she can love again. 

i think it is really important to have positives and negatives talked about so people can make a fully informed decision that is right for them as an individual.

I was concerned as it stated in an article in the Melbourne Age, that it was 2 weeks between Dr's referral and surgery. I find that quite negligent by all involved, including the patient.

Lap Band is not a 'miracle cure'. Personally I would rather go with this option now and work WITH it, than look at a future of possible life threatening health risks e.g. diabetes, cholesterol medications, heart attack.

I'm mid-way through skimming this article...can someone explain how she could have got 15kg of skin removed after losing only 50kgs???? I've lost nearly 70kgs and the surgeons estimate I may have 2-4kgs of excess skin removed. When I was assessed last year and 30kgs heavier than I am now, the surgeon estimated 5-7kgs as lipo would have sucked that extra fat out. (But now I don't need lipo...yay!!!) So how the hell could she have had 15kgs removed??? Makes no sense.

• Like 1

Watching this show now and feeling the bitterness from this lady. She is very angry with herself and the entire world. We are all informed and we each sought our surgery. Complications are part of the package and individually we must weigh those up. In the end we make personal choices for our own reasons and must be at peace with that. I suppose it is almost a new blame game for being unhappy in our own skin whether that be big skin or small. I was miserable fat not just because I was fat, but for other reasons too. Moving the fat will help me feel better, but not cure my discontent.

Personal opinion here and trying to stay non judgemental.

• Like 3

She made me really angry with some of her comments. I'm sorry but you still have to take ownership and be accountable for your own decisions. There's countless articles and published papers all about risks and complications about these surgeries...you can't honestly sit there and say... "You surgeons are selling a product to us fatties and taking advantage of our vulnerability".

Don't get me wrong, it's a very sad state of affairs, but I get angry when someone tries to pass the buck...you are responsible for your decisions.

When I went for my first appt, one of the Pre-requisites was getting the psychologists clearance... I really think this lady would have benefited from something like that (assuming she didn't Pre-surgery)

I just wish there would have been a spokesperson for the positive to rebut or at least comment on her comments.

Such a loaded discussion.

• Like 4

I'm mid-way through skimming this article...can someone explain how she could have got 15kg of skin removed after losing only 50kgs???? I've lost nearly 70kgs and the surgeons estimate I may have 2-4kgs of excess skin removed. When I was assessed last year and 30kgs heavier than I am now, the surgeon estimated 5-7kgs as lipo would have sucked that extra fat out. (But now I don't need lipo...yay!!!) So how the hell could she have had 15kgs removed??? Makes no sense.

Hey missy_belle - she commented on the show that she lost 90kgs before her band eroded.

• Like 1

All in all that show just made me incredibly depressed.  Between that and The Biggest Loser I just feel like sometimes we are dammed if we do and dammed if we don't.  The lady that was the personal trainer kind of made me mad also.

Like many of us I have yo yo dieted.  I had diabetes long before I was morbidly overweight.  Now I just want to do all I can to be here for as long as I can, which is why I came on this site to arm myself with as much information as I could.

• Like 3

Yes it doesn't add up does it?

She made me really angry with some of her comments. I'm sorry but you still have to take ownership and be accountable for your own decisions. There's countless articles and published papers all about risks and complications about these surgeries...you can't honestly sit there and say... "You surgeons are selling a product to us fatties and taking advantage of our vulnerability".

i agree. its like people suing mcdonalds because it "made them fat". well sorry, but they didnt gt your big butt into the car, drive down there and order a big mac, then force it down your throat. I do my best to take responsibilities for my actions and my weight, and whilst I would love to be able to say that it was my fault, or my own doing....it was. being morbidly over-weight was because of my bad choices and lazy behaviour.

• Like 1

What i found interesting were the large lady at the back and the one at the front who both claimed to very happy with themselves despite their weight but who both became extremely defensive when anything was said to them about their weight, eating habits or exercise habits. I'm sorry but those two things are just not congruent, if they were completely happy they wouldn't be so defensive.

• Like 12

I have never been able to relate to the "fat is beautiful" people. I have always hated being fat. I always wonder whether these people who claim they love their fat bodies are just lying to themselves as I just can't not relate to them at all. I will always have to battle to not be fat. In way, I wish I could be like these fatties that are happy the way they are but I know that I will never feel that way. Interestingly I can see that other people are attractive when they are above their ideal weight, I just don't think that way about myself.

Lady in pink at the back....of course you are fat because of what you eat....and no one believes you don't eat any carbs and live on salads...you are not fooling anyone.

Very interesting show. Honestly quite a few people got me angry from all sides of the room.

• Like 7

Well I didn't read the article but just finished watching Insight.  I really felt for Kate Finlay.  She was very honest and I think she is justified in saying everything that she said.  She is right to an extent about being uninformed.  Sure they tell you about band erosion, slips, flipped ports etc but do they really tell you how prevalent it is and what the long term affects of this are?  After watching Insight, I read a study that showed that 1 in 3 people have band erosion.  If people knew that would they really opt for bands?  Also, if they really knew what a struggle it still is to lose weight, get the band right etc. would they still choose a band?  I am seriously considering having a revision from band to bypass.  I want to reach my goal weight and not accept only losing 60% of my excess weight.  I want to be able to not have to use willpower and constant dieting to prevent weight gain.  Right now that's what's happening and it's only a matter of time before before I pack on the kg's.  Sure, I could get my band tightened but then I'm back to just maintaining and eating a diet of soft food and sliders.  Gastric bypass is looking really good right now...

• Like 2

Well I didn't read the article but just finished watching Insight.  I really felt for Kate Finlay.  She was very honest and I think she is justified in saying everything that she said.  She is right to an extent about being uninformed.  Sure they tell you about band erosion, slips, flipped ports etc but do they really tell you how prevalent it is and what the long term affects of this are?  After watching Insight, I read a study that showed that 1 in 3 people have band erosion.  If people knew that would they really opt for bands?  Also, if they really knew what a struggle it still is to lose weight, get the band right etc. would they still choose a band?  I am seriously considering having a revision from band to bypass.  I want to reach my goal weight and not accept only losing 60% of my excess weight.  I want to be able to not have to use willpower and constant dieting to prevent weight gain.  Right now that's what's happening and it's only a matter of time before before I pack on the kg's.  Sure, I could get my band tightened but then I'm back to just maintaining and eating a diet of soft food and sliders.  Gastric bypass is looking really good right now...

Surely band erosion can not be as high as 1 in 3 or we would have many threads in here devoted to discussing this issue.

Since I'm no poster child for being successful with the band (took me almost 13 years to get to my current weight), my view is that no WLS is going to magically transform you from a morbidly obese person into someone who will maintain a healthy weight for the rest of their lives. As I understand all of the WLS have a fairly average outcome after a number of years. Just look up Carnie Wilson as she was successful with gastric bypass and then put the weight back on only to change over to lapband. Of course there are stories of people going the other way as well. Lapband's problem is that there are sliders (my particular problem) so you can still consume massive amounts of calories. Bypass and sleeve have higher weight loss initially after surgery but the stomach can be stretched back again over time. 

• Like 1

I think more depressing than her rant is some of the comments below the artical, by many who obviously never have had a band and seem to think its the easy way out.  Lap band has its ups and downs and no-one said it was going to solve everything, but Id rather take the lapband that being as heavy as I got to.  just wish the weight loss was a little faster but theres no way Im going to deprive my body of vitamins and starve it

• Like 1

the "larger" quite defensive lady up the back claims to eat very healthily... she says she doesn't eat carbs because they don't agree with her !!!............ can you really have a weight problem if you don't eat carbs ???

• Like 2

I was told when I went to see the doctor that band erosion only happens in about 2% of patients.

Also the guy that pissed me off the most was the dark haired Aussie guy in the white shirt up the back!! His comments made me yell at the TV at him!! Urgh skinny people who think they have all the answers and think they are always right!!

• Like 3

Oh dear this lady really has. Lots of problems and not just with begging over weight

The lap band surgeon Did not take the time to really Review this lady. Condition.

This show the need for really good follow up and after care

I watched this program last night and must admit it has made me think twice. I am due to be banded on the 12th June and am now feeling more anxious. I have an appointment today with the dietician & psychologist so hopefully that will help me.

• Like 1

I met a man at a BBQ a few months ago who was planning on being banded. He had already seen the surgeon and was waiting to see the dietitian and the psych.

I heard just recently that after chatting to me about my experience with it, he opted to not have the procedure.

I was told that although he was given literature to take home and read and was told by the surgeon that complicatios could arise, he didn't realise it was so common. I suggested he frequent this forum and read the posts of the people that are living with it.

Also, he was under the impression that it was pretty much a permanent solution.

So yes Suzie, you're right, people are not as well informed by their surgeons as they should be.

• Like 2