sleepy_monkey

What do you people eat!!?!!

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster! So, hello there!

Let me start off by saying thank you to all of you for being so open and forthcoming with information! You have really helped me get through quite a lot of the ups and downs that you go through when having this procedure done, and I am very thankful that there is a site like this that offers such great support!

Now, I know this is probably everywhere in this forum somewhere, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get some meal plan examples of what you guys eat for meals? I am talking more after the post op "building up" phase, so pretty much when the stomach is healed and you are left to your own devices.

Reason being is I am a bit concerned that I am not getting enough protein in my diet, and that the "plateau" that I have been experiencing recently is due to this very reason. I know that there are all sorts of reasons why the weight loss would slow down, but I just want to see how far off par I am with what other people are eating in terms of protein amounts etc.

Thanks!

sleepy_monkey

I am 5 weeks out from the sleeve and I am still battling to get myself into a routine and a regular diet. I really don't know why except that I no longer like or can keep down the things I was eating and was preparing to use in the early days.

Today I have had two warm mugs of lemon water with stevia, a piece of steamed fish and 6 macadamias that I chewed till the cows came home. I am not hungry at all.

Hi Sleepy Monkey,

Im a vegetarian so my diet is different, and im banded not sleeved, however in a nutshell:

Breakfast: 1.5 weetbix with low fat milk

Lunch: My carb meal usually a pasta or risotto or the like. 

Dinner: Try to have protein so I might have vegetable frittata (eggs) or tacos (refried beans) or stuffed tomatoes or even old plain eggs! 

Snacks: Nuts or a smoothie (with protein powder)

• Like 1

I'm 7 weeks post op and only been on soft/normal food just over a week, my surgeon does 2 weeks fluids, 4 weeks puree then soft to normal food as tolerated.

I'm having trouble getting in enough protein still, sposed to be aiming for around 60g but very rarely getting there.

Today i had:

Breakfast: hot milo, half skim milk, half water ( i find solids difficult in the morning)

Lunch: vitaweat sandwich cracker with cheese and beef slices

Snack: banana

Dinner: honey soy chicken stirfry, half a cup

I may or may not have something else later, maybe some custard or yoghurt, will see how late i am up and if i feel like eating.

I don't really get hungry, but i do find my stomach being empty too long makes my reflux worse, so in the morning its at its worst, hence the milo in the morning.

A typical day for me:

Breakfast: Coffee + a very small bowl of Just Right cereal with lite milk and 4 slices of tinned peaches, or 2 slices of raisin toast with the merest scraping of Nuttelex lite. On Sundays I have a treat breakfast of a slice of pumpkin seed toast with 1 slice of short bacon, 1 fried egg & a fried tomato. (Fried in 1/2 tsp of olive oil.)

Lunch: 100g Salmon coated in salt, pepper and green tea, with skin, fried in 1/2 tsp of olive oil with a chickpea salad. (chick peas, corn, red onion, tomato, baby spinach with a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar and a smidge of sugar.), or an omelette (2 eggs with a filling of mushrooms, red onion, spinach, tomato and a very little bit of lite cheese, cooked in 1/2 tsp olive oil.)

Dinner: Stirfry, thick hearty homemade soup, spag bolognese, chow mein. (1/4 cup carbs, 1/4 cup protein, 1/4-1/2 cup veges).

I also have more coffee or hot chocolate throughout the day (Jarrah 98% fat free), plus diet cordial. If I'm still hungry after dinner I'll have low fat yogurt with peaches or a tin of smoked mussells on crackers.

I have been banded for two years, my typical day will be...

Breakfast - 1/2 weetbix with skim milk or 1/2 packet oats with skim milk or an optifast

Lunch - small green salad or 1/2 cup homemade veggie soup

Dinner - whatever goes, small serve, though not too much protein it gets stuck

A couple of coffees during the day, and maybe a little chocolate in the evening...cause life is no fun without it

You should be doing your optifast in the early days-that helps with the protein intake heaps

Howdy doody

I'm almost 8 weeks post op and I have the following:

Breakfast: 1/2 a weetbix with 200ml pauls skinny milk

Morning tea:  coffee made on water (instant style) - if i feel like it and I need warm my hands 'cause it's so freaking cold

Lunch: 2 cruskits with some philly cheese, avocado, a thin slice of ham and a teeny bit of tomato chutney (YUM)

Afternoon tea: nothing.

Dinner: 1/4 cup of mince and 1/4-1/2 cup veggies - usually zucchini, pumpkin, cauliflower.

:-)

I've started having a low carb celebrity slim shake for breakfast, just couldn't stomach the opti anymore, and the have a whopping 25g of protein, plus being the low carb ones they have less sugar than the opti shakes

• Like 1

I'm 6 months post op, dietician said i'm not getting enough protein so now i have to have a sustagen+protein powder+milk everyday to get it up there.

As you move out to the 3 to 4 month mark I highly suggest running your daily intake through Myfitnesspal-it will give you an idea of where your calorie and protein intake sits and if it is in healthy range-I don't do it everyday but about once very 2 weeks-I dare say that if some of you ran it through you would be no where near the 800 cal a day you need to be at-and in the first 6 months there is no way that just 3 meals a day will have you hitting your target-it just is not physically possible-that is my main complaint with dieticians when they say 3 meals a day with no snacking-and there are plenty out there that do give that advice

We all have to find our own way but I live by the rules of

1. 2 to 3 ltrs a day

2. 60 to 70 grams of protein

3. 800-1000 cals per day (any less and you will not loss instead stall)

4. 30 minutes of exercise per day

5. Haven't' pooped in 3 days then taking some coloxyl with senna

6. Start retraining your brain to only eat when you are hungry

In my humble opinion the 6 rules to live by if you are a sleever

• Like 2

For the record, I don't believe in this hypnosis that you need to eat at least a certain number of calories or you will not lose weight. I have never experienced my weight loss "stalling" because my calories are too low. To me, if this theory was correct then people in concentration camps and anorexics would never get below a healthy weight range because their weight loss would "stall" from consuming too few calories. I use to feel differently when I was first banded, but now I wonder whether it was really my mind trying to trick me to eating more calories. I think what is most important is finding a way to eat day in and day out that works for each person.

• Like 2

For the record, I don't believe in this hypnosis that you need to eat at least a certain number of calories or you will not lose weight. I have never experienced my weight loss "stalling" because my calories are too low. To me, if this theory was correct then people in concentration camps and anorexics would never get below a healthy weight range because their weight loss would "stall" from consuming too few calories. I use to feel differently when I was first banded, but now I wonder whether it was really my mind trying to trick me to eating more calories. I think what is most important is finding a way to eat day in and day out that works for each person.

Very wise missy, I do believe you are right

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a stalker, Missy, you're the best!

We're so lucky to have you, with all your years of experience and wealth of knowledge.

I love reading your posts, and how you write them in such a matter of fact, no nonsense manner, seriously, its great and I've learned heaps from you. So thankyou!

Just thought I'd spit that out - I did put the stalker warning at the top....

• Like 2

Missy it is not a hypothesis but a proven scientific fact that you need to keep your caloroie intake at a certain level to be healthy and still lose weight. The 2 examples that you use (anorexics and concentration camp people) are extreme in the least. Surely our goal is not to look or feel anything like either one of those scenarios. The point of maintaining a certain calorie intake is to ensure that you burn fat and not muscle, that has been proven through years of research. To propose that you cut your calories to a level that is dangerous and unhealthy is something that no Dr or nutritionist would recommend.

I get what you are saying about your 2 examples but you must realize these are people that are on deaths doorstep and I certainly have no intention of being anything like that when my weight loss hits a healthy range. The starvation mode that your body goes into from eating so few calories only last for a certain period and then your body literally starts eating itself, leading to muscle wasting, liver failure, kidney and heart failure, lethargy. Not my idea of a healthy reduction in weight.

There are many people who do stall because of low calorie intake, and talk about it regularly on here. It's happened to me and many others. Please don't under value anyone's opinion on here just because you personally haven't experienced it. When it's all said and done we all want to come out of our weight loss saga happy, healthy, and of sound mind and body

• Like 2

At the risk of sounding like a stalker, Missy, you're the best!

We're so lucky to have you, with all your years of experience and wealth of knowledge.

I love reading your posts, and how you write them in such a matter of fact, no nonsense manner, seriously, its great and I've learned heaps from you. So thankyou!

Just thought I'd spit that out - I did put the stalker warning at the top....

Thanks, don't think I've had a stalker before. lol... I have years of "failing" with the band worth of knowledge. I am very stubborn and always think I know everything, and this has worked against my weight loss efforts. I fought against the idea that to lose weight you have to cut your calories significantly and for a very long time to go from morbidly obese to healthy weight range. For me the faster I can get the weight off the better, because to drag it out just means staying below your BMR for a longer period of time. Once I get these last few kilos off then I will turn my attention to maintenance and I am definitely not thinking that maintenance of a 50% weight loss is going to be smooth sailing. My main problem is that I want to eat even when I am not physically hungry, so this is going to be a life-long battle that "normal" weight people don't have and no WLS can fix this type of problem.

• Like 1

Missy it is not a hypothesis but a proven scientific fact that you need to keep your caloroie intake at a certain level to be healthy and still lose weight. The 2 examples that you use (anorexics and concentration camp people) are extreme in the least. Surely our goal is not to look or feel anything like either one of those scenarios. The point of maintaining a certain calorie intake is to ensure that you burn fat and not muscle, that has been proven through years of research. To propose that you cut your calories to a level that is dangerous and unhealthy is something that no Dr or nutritionist would recommend.

I get what you are saying about your 2 examples but you must realize these are people that are on deaths doorstep and I certainly have no intention of being anything like that when my weight loss hits a healthy range. The starvation mode that your body goes into from eating so few calories only last for a certain period and then your body literally starts eating itself, leading to muscle wasting, liver failure, kidney and heart failure, lethargy. Not my idea of a healthy reduction in weight.

There are many people who do stall because of low calorie intake, and talk about it regularly on here. It's happened to me and many others. Please don't under value anyone's opinion on here just because you personally haven't experienced it. When it's all said and done we all want to come out of our weight loss saga happy, healthy, and of sound mind and body

I think you missed my point. I wasn't advocating starvation. I was merely illustrating extreme examples that contradict that hypothesis. From what I understand the metabolism does slightly slow down when calories are reduced but the body will also slightly increase metabolism when calories are increased. But even if the metabolism does slight decrease when calories are reduced this does not mean that someone will stop losing weight altogether. This was my original point.

I think when you lose some weight and then you stall for a little while it is very easy to think I must up my calories, because that is a natural tendency to want to eat more (otherwise we wouldn't have needed WLS in the first place). But the body is always going to stall now and then and this is natural, but I just can't see how weight loss stalling could mean to increase calories. Everyone is entitled to their on view and needs to find what works best for them. All I know is if something isn't working for me then I need to change something.

Hi, I am 3 weeks post op sleeve and my dietician has put me on mushie food now. I was previously worried about how much liquids/ custard/ shakes etc i could manage. i thought that i was able to consume more then i should. however now that i am on mushies i understand how little my new stomach can cope with. I can only have 2 to 3 spoons full and then i am full. This new stomach is going to take alot of getting use to by trial and error.

The main thing in the beginning is to just keep at it, it will get easier. Even almost 5 months out I find myself on some days struggling to eat my calories and protein for the day.

To give you a specific menue example, I will show an average day for me, 9 months post op. I have been told im slightly off the norm for sleevers as i eat the most in the morning and little at night, opposite to most sleevers who have trouble in the morning.  not sure if thats correct.

Breakfast - 1/2 slice toast 1 egg and 1 slice bacon OR 1/2 tub chobani yogurt and 30g protein first cereal.

Lunch - 100g protein. migght be a home made rissole, spagetti sauce or today its chicken and salad with cheese. Lunch for me is normally dinner leftovers.

Dinner - 50-80g protein and occasionally veg, but that would be 2 slices of carrot and 1 broccoli flower. I find dinner a struggle

Snacks - 1/2 an apple, 1/2 a yogurt, popcorn, 1 hot chocolate a day

I dont drink enough but im trying to increase.

I have trouble in the mornings, solids just don't agree with me most mornings, so i have a low carb elebrity slim shake instead, i can eat more and tolerate more things later in te day, though discovered the other day that soft bread is not good! Had a egg and lettuce sandwich bought from a cafe for dinner, indigestion a plenty!

i eat anything and only when i am hungry 

I refuse to be on a "diet" but i make sure that say 95% of the time i remember to eat my protein first 

my day would go

breakfast milk or skim latte or half a piece of toast with nut butter

lunch protein first then carbs if they fit , say wrap with chicken i eat the chicken first 

dinner whatever my family is having so if its spag bol ill eat my meat first then maybe 2-4 bits of pasta

i do not really snack but occasionally will , yesterday i had half a cookie oatmeal and raisin

the rest of the day seems like a race to try and get in enough fluid 

the rest of my calories i would say come from drinking , but hoping that i can tolerate water more and more 

cannot tolerate protein shakes at the moment , but i found a great recipe for protein balls using protein powder so i will make some and see what happens 

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/03/28/dark-chocolate-cherry-energy-bites-a-book-review/ I don't like cherries :)

you can also make variations by using your protein powder to flavor it instead and you can use nut butters instead of the ground nuts

I have some cacao nibs to flavor It instead :)

I love she glows it has some awesome high protein ideas

• Like 1