Sign in to follow this  
annielolo3

A little advice - family negativity

Hi all,

I need a little help, if possible, it took me almost 2 years to make this decision and when it was made I only told my parents and my fav aunt.

When I finally felt comfortable enough to tell other I got lots of support, my baby brother was so happy for me. Unfortunately my mother blurted to my older brother, my biggest support normally, and he was instantly negative and angry at my decision.

I need help in making him understand why this is good for me and my only option.

Has anybody else been faced with this??

You cannot make him understand, but you can ask him to support and respect your decisions about your health, your body and your life. Try approaching him from this angle and I dare say you will at least make him understand that in the end it is your decision alone to make. Your success is buoyed by support and ths is where you need him.

Hope this helps and as long as you made your decision informed and without duress all is good. Regardless you will still love your brother and he will always love his sister:)

• Like 1

You cannot make him understand, but you can ask him to support and respect your decisions about your health, your body and your life. Try approaching him from this angle and I dare say you will at least make him understand that in the end it is your decision alone to make. Your success is buoyed by support and ths is where you need him.

Hope this helps and as long as you made your decision informed and without duress all is good. Regardless you will still love your brother and he will always love his sister:)

I was going to say exactly the sane thing. U can't make him understand but ask him to respect your decision and support u. There is no point wasting your energy on other ppls negativity, use ur energy to lose weight and he will understand in time as he sees u get healthier.

• Like 1

Thank you both, I just couldn't figure out how to approach the situation

i agree. Its hard for some people to "understand" especially if they have never had weight problems. All you can do is ask him to support you as a brother, while you go through this. After the op, once he sees how much you change, more internally than externally (in my case) only then will he be able to understand why you had to do it for yourself.

• Like 1

I'm really hoping that he will see how much happier this makes me, it's just hard when the one person you always rely on is saying your just taking th way way out and not trying hard enough.

Thanks you guys, you have been helpful ☺

One of my friends had said I too had taken the easy way out. She also struggled with her weight. My best friend went in and battled for me as she had seen just how hard I had worked and how much time I spent in the toilet lol. This friend now has a band herself and has since apologised! She calls me 3 times a week for hours at a time for advise and support. My advice is to get support wherever you can and those who aren't just gives you motivation to prove them wrong. Best of luck xoxo

• Like 2

nil illegetimi carborumdum
roughly translated as "never let the bastards wear u down"

• Like 4