FreshStart2

deleting posts and accounts

Hi,

Just thought I would make the request here after seeing it mentioned in the rules thread.

Would it be possible to have the option somewhere to delete our own accounts and other posts? Mostly to prevent accidental posts...

• Like 2

Maybe I am missing something. I don't get why anyone would want to delete their (entire) account. Just don't come back.

Agree that deleting posts would be good, especially if you post by accident.

• Like 1

Yeah I dunno either. But I guess its one less place on the internet that you have personal details, I dunno. I dont think it hurts to have it as an option for those that want it though.

• Like 2

Mmm...you may gain weight and need the support again. It can happen very easily if you're not careful, as we all know this is not a miracle cure for life.

Yeah. But I just believe in having choices. If you want to create an account, you can. If people want to delete their account, they should be able to. If they then decide they still need the support...thats their problem and they have to create another another account.

I, myself, have no intention of leaving this community, whether I reach goal or not. I've made friends here and get good advice.

• Like 3

Hi FreshStart2,

I do get the odd request for this from time to time and I am always happy to do it manually. I do not want to give users the ability to delete their own posts. If you are unhappy with content, you can edit it and make it empty, but not delete it. 

Dave

If someone quoted the post in a reply on editing the original post, I do not believe it updates the quote retrospectively in responses? That is the only flaw with simply editing the post and making it empty. The responses (containing quotes) would still  be there.

I've done that too and noticed the same.

I am willing to volunteer time to edit threads/posts to "e-clean up" the place if Mods are too busy.

• Like 1

I think it's just the nature of the beast. People will come and go, sometimes over a period of time, sometimes only once. I don't think it would be fair (or effective) to follow up inactive accounts. IMO just leave them be, it's not really hurting anyone having their accounts/posts lying around.

• Like 5

I think it's just the nature of the beast. People will come and go, sometimes over a period of time, sometimes only once. I don't think it would be fair (or effective_ to follow up inactive accounts. IMO just leave them be, it's not really hurting anyone having their accounts/posts lying around.

Good point penny......

Hi FreshStart2,

I do get the odd request for this from time to time and I am always happy to do it manually. I do not want to give users the ability to delete their own posts. If you are unhappy with content, you can edit it and make it empty, but not delete it. 

Dave

I would love to be able to tag a user so they are notified if a post mentions them - like in Facebook. Sometimes I write a response to someone and it's only if they are actively following the thread that they know there has been a response at all.

• Like 7