aimee123

Which surgeon?

Hi all, I'm trying to research which surgeon to go through. I live on the Sunshine Coast but am willing to travel to Brisbane or somewhere a similar distance. I've read some people say their surgery was $18,000 and some say $13,000. I am hoping to be approved for super funding but I only have about 10K in super so will need to fun the rest myself. Could anyone tell me some prices of doctors in Queensland? Thank you

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

I went with Dr Blair Bowden at the Wesley hospital in Brisbane back in 2011. Brilliant surgeon and I 100% recommend him. I had private health insurance so I am not sure what the self funded option cost but I think it was about $16K? If you call his office, Lara (practice manager) will send you a heap of information via email (I was also an out of town patient).

I don't know your circumstances but is waiting the 12 month waiting period to get private health insurance an option? I know personally I would worry about draining my entire super account if something unforeseeable happened - but I am a worry wart!

Good luck with your research and operation! :)

• Like 1

I'm going to Dr Reza Adib he's at the Wesley, Greenslopes or Sunnybank, It's costing me around $17,300,  I Accessed my Super

Thank you both for your replies! I was looking at Dr Blair Bowden. I saw that he offers treating as private in a public hospital which is a bit cheaper than having it done at the wesley. The public hospital being the royal brisbane and womens hospital. Do you know if this is much cheaper? I sent the practice an email on the weekend but havent heard back so will give them a call today. Are you able to tell me if the price includes dietician appts etc? Just wondering whether I should up my private health insurance extras to cover some of the cost if i have to pay for it myself

Yeah, I saw that too but I am not sure what it costs. I only have the 2011 pricing for private health insurance patients sorry. No, the price didn't include the dietitian or psychologist but it did cover follow up appointments but if you have an adjustment, there is $10 needle fee.

Hi amiee123,

I went with Blair Bowden too. Endured the 12 mo wait period with HCF and am now almost 3 weeks post-op. Definitely worth the wait. 

It can be frustrating trying to do cost comparisons online. I recommend calling each and asking directly. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies :) I have just had my first consult with dr William braun. I'm having a sleeve done on November 22. Im going to redcliffe public, as a private patient. In total it's going to be around $11,000 which I'm really happy about.

• Like 2

My daughter had hers done on the Gold Coast, her total cost was $14000. That was last January 2012. I had mine done here in Mackay with Dr Copp from Ipswich. With health fund my out of pocket has been around $5700. That was for surgery including the Anethesist bill. In a private hospital,

Hi 

I'm booked in with Reza Adib in November with PHI I will be out of pocket 5k. My surgery is at the Wesley. 

I did a bit of internetting before deciding on Dr Adib, but the reason I went to see him is that my GP recommended him and she said he had performed surgery on her. He seems to have a good rap if you search his name - at least I haven't seen anything bad about him. Agree with some other posters that he doesn't have a super warm bedside manner - I felt a little bit rushed in our last appointment but at the end of the day I don't care about a surgeon's personality, it's their competence you pay for!

• Like 1

I posted this over a year ago lol. I ended up having gastric sleeve surgery in August last year with dr William braun, he was amazing and it was the best decision I've ever made!!

Hello Aimee , have an Appointment with Dr Braun 07/04/15 self funding , private in a public hospital .....Stories are so inspiring How is everything going now ? 

• Like 1

I used Reza Adib for band in Aug11 & again for my radical abdominal plasty Feb15. Could not be happier. Out of pocket was around $7k or $8k for both added together.

My daughter had hers done on the Gold Coast, her total cost was $14000. That was last January 2012. I had mine done here in Mackay with Dr Copp from Ipswich. With health fund my out of pocket has been around $5700. That was for surgery including the Anethesist bill. In a private hospital,

Can I ask the name of your Daughters Surgeon ?

Hi Di! Dr Braun is great, I'm only 3kg from my goal weight. I had my op in August 2013 and even had a baby since then (3 months ago). Best decision I ever made. You won't regret it. I paid using my super. Do you have a pension of some sort with Centrelink at all? If so you don't pay the hospital fees, only dr braun's fees. If not it'll be around 10k. His office and him provide heaps of support.

Has anyone used Dr Braun in here recently (2015). I'm looking at going through him and can't figure out his costs. I think I'm going to need wither the sleeve or bypass and don't have adequate health insurance. I tried reading his pricelist on the website but can't figure it out. Do you think if I call their reception that they'll be able to list all the costs to me over the phone or will I have to actually have a consult. Thanks :-)