Kiwizoo

Banded 24-Hours Ago

Hi everyone - was banded yesterday at the SAN @ 9am by Dr Craig Taylor from the OClinic in North Sydney. Thought I'd put down some thoughts now that I'm back home. Overall, it was a wonderful experience - the staff are great and I was well looked after. I was nervous going in, as I was on my own, but they put me at ease. I waited in the waiting area, then someone at reception double checked my paperwork and asked me to sit down again. 10 minutes later, I was called to the Day Surgery preperation ward, where you basically strip down and get the (very fetching) one piece gown to wear (wether you are a man or a woman, I'm a man!)

After 30 minutes, a nurse came in and read me the same questions everyone asked, 'name, DOB, what you in for etc.' they do this to ensure you are you at every stage of the operation, right up until surgery. Another nurse shaved my tummy - and I was good to go. A porter then wheeled me up to the theatre waiting area. I waited here, dozing on and off, for about 30 minutes. I was then wheeled into the pre-op room to meet Mr Kumar the anaesthetist. They put a needle in my arm (missed the first time, OUCH! How come the rest of me is so fat and yet I have thin veins!) but once it settled the second time, no issues. 

Dr Taylor came bounding through and remarked that I had a big smile on my face - I told him that this was like Christmas for me and after a lot of personal pain and depression around body size, this was he beginning of my new life. He gave me a high five and ten minutes later I was wheeled in to surgery.

I have never been for an operation before, so I was fascinated. The team relaxed me and Mr Kumar told me that once he'd fastened me up to all sorts of tubes and wires, I was getting something to make me sleep. And...3 seconds later - although it was actually 40 -  I woke up in surgery and the lap band was DONE and the operation a success. They then quickly took me to the recovery room.

I had a little tightening across the tummy when I woke - I could tell someone had been down there - but nothing SERIOUS in terms of pain. You are pretty drowsy by this stage. but in a nice way - it's a sort of twilight zone and you can sleep pretty peacefully. However they did give me some pain relief which was nice. After an hour, they were ready to transfer me to my room. I met the physio and he walked me up and down the corridor a couple of times and I felt really good about how easy it was to move.

At 2pm I was pretty much wide awake and bursting for a pee, so the nurse gave me a bottle. Phew! That felt GOOD. I was surprised that I felt quite hungry too! Not for food, but felt like something nourishing. So they gave me a cup of tea (remember this is only a few hours poste surgery - and told me to SIP very slowly. I sipped about a litre of water over the afternoon. At no point did the pain levels feel more than 5 out of 10. My head felt a bit swimmy, but but otherwise I was feeling really good. Dinner came at 6.30 and consisted of a hot clear broth, a Sustagen drink and some apple juice. This was plenty - and took me about 3 hours to get through. They gave me a painkiller before I went to bed at 9.30 and I slept pretty well (albeit with 2 blood pressure checks overnight.) Had breakfast this morning and after some meds from the hospital phramacy went home. They gave me painkillers and junior panadol - I asked for the junior as upstairs, when I tried the soluble ones, they were quite fizzy and made me burp - and gave pain! The normal ones felt too big so I asked for the junior syrup and you have to have about 6 teaspoons to reach the adult dose! Big baby, yeah I know....)

So this morning - 24 hours later - how does it feel? A bit more tender actually. And it hurts when I burp or cough. But this is pretty major surgery and I'm gentle on myself (as you need to be with yourselves). But I'm happily siting here at my computer, having made a cup of tea and I'll have some gentle walks and get back into Game of Thrones, which I've only just discovered.

But I could not be happier. I've worked so hard to deal with all my life issues - mental as well as physical ones - and this one for me is the final hurdle. And I DO think it will change my life as I'm so ready for it. 

Sorry about the long post - I just wanted to provide detail if any new bandits wanted it. Reading everyone else's was great for me and wanted to return the favour. I'll keep you posted on my progress and look forwards to reading yours. 

Start weight 108.6kgs

Banded weight 104.5kgs

• Like 8

Hey Kiwizoo, CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to your new life.

Sounds like you had a pretty easy trot through the whole ordeal - its kinda fun and interesting isn't it? You can look forward to being really sore, like you've been kicked in the guts by a horse, but mine dramatically improved by about day 6.

I'll look forward to reading your updates as they happen.

In about a month when you're back on real food again, you'll have to get into some of demilami's challenges, but for now, just rest up and don't do too much.

Thanks for the kind words Kazawaki - yes reading the forums, Days 3-5 seems to be the worst for most people, so I'm keeping a really positive mind (and a box of painkillers handy!). It was my first ever operation, so hence the detail!  :)

I love reading postive posts like this, Kiwizoo. You sound like you're in a really good place mentally which will help you tremendously. Good luck and keep us up to date with your progress. I look forward to hearing all about it.

• Like 1

The long post is appreciated Kiwizoo!! I too have never had an operation so a bit worried about the unknown :(

But your post helped (since I will also be at the SAN in just under 2 weeks) so thank you :)

I'm glad all went ok and hopefully the next stage will go just as well!

Keep me posted :)

• Like 1

Will do Maxieb - the pain is coming and going today. Not so keen on the painkillers they made me really drowsy! Be prepared to burp and burp and burp - and it hurts but is just part of the process of the stomach settling again and entirely normal. Just keep thinking big picture - this will be the best thing you've ever done! The SAN was brilliant, you'll be in good hands there. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like! :)

Loved the San! Had my second band put in there a few wks ago. Felt like nothing there was too much trouble!

Welcome kiwizoo

hi Kiwizoo,

Glad all went well for you and thanks for the detail of the op . I am hoping to get it done in sept and its good to know the process , its a bit nerve wreaking ! All behind you now .

The best of luck with the band and keep us posted as to how your going and feeling (if theres pain)etc.

hopefully there wont be. How long did you take of work after the op.

Daisy

Hi Daisy, I got it done early on Friday so this is Day 3 - I'll probably see how I go and get back to work on Thursday. I do a lot of writing for work, so it's not overtly strenuous. I'm going to write an update for Day 3 today so will keep you posted. Some pain today - but painkillers help. Staying positive is half the battle! :D

Day 3 - Well the pain crept up on me last night just before bed at 11pm. I was thinking it was all a bit too much like plain sailing! However, I took an Endomol (which were provided by the hospital) and that really settled me down. The feeling was one of severe bloating and swelling, and a couple of 'kicking' pangs that freaked me out a bit. The pain started to subside and I slept until 3am, when I got up for a pee (seem to be peeing a lot, but this is good - keep the fluids up!). The pain was perhaps worst at this point; to be honest, if I hadn't read the forums, I think I might have panicked a little - as it felt very tight and the amount of noise coming from my tummy felt like there was a factory churning out a production line in there...took another Endomol and went back to bed. It was a struggle getting up and down, and I was really paranoid that I might be stretching or ripping something! But I think this feeling is normal.

Lying down on my back was OK, as was my non-access port side. I slept for a solid 4 hours this way. This morning, had a shake for brekky and some liquid panadol. I walked the dog (gently) and even went into Sydney QVB to pick up some CDs I'd ordered. Again, I just took my time, enjoyed the fresh air and felt myself glow a little knowing this was only Day 3 of my new life. Even had a cup of tea in a local cafe. My one trouble point is the burping which really HURTS! I keep thinking I am going to somehow damage the lap band, and so I try and stifle it and this seems to make things worse! Wondering if everyone has experienced this? My friend who's a GP kept telling me that although it's a relatively small procedure- the nature of it means they're pulling bits of your organs around! So be gentle on yourself.

It's 5pm now and I'm sipping a Protein Shake; and I got my first shoulder pangs - not bad - but I still got a bit of a startle! Feels like a little electric shock going through your shoulder blade. These are pretty intermittent and not constant, so with the painkillers, should be no problem.

If I had some advice at this stage, it's to not panic, and keep a positive attitude. I am still - despite the pain today - really happy about the op. The band is an amazing bit of modern medicine when you think about it and I'm grateful i'm getting the chance to give it a go! 

Again, A LOT of this stuff must have been covered by the more experienced bandits, but just wanted to share my journey for the new ones, and the bandits to come!

Despite the pain - I'm really excited about the days ahead  :D

• Like 3

Oh yes, I remember painful burps. I remember rubbing my chest with each one because of the discomfort. They do go away, I promise you! Welcome to the beginning of your new life kiwizoo... I've had my band for 7 months and love how it had changed my life for the better. Get lots of rest- your body is working hard at healing!

• Like 2

Hi Kiwizoo thanks for the update I am booked in for the band in September and I am looking forward to getting it , I met the surgeon today. Good for you out waling and sipping tea at the coffee shop on day 3, you will be jogging to the coffee shop on day 103 !

keep us updated and I hope your pains all ease soon

Daisy

DAY 6

Hi everyone, thought I'd post a quick update. It's been a really interesting time. Healing has come on leaps and bounds, but I got myself really down - seemed to have a mini-depression the past couple of days. My mate who's a GP says it was most likely a combination of the trauma (your body DOES go through a lot) and the anaesthetic. He also told me to relax; this is regarded as relatively serious surgery and to not sprint for the finish line. I'm not down about the band (which I 'm really happy about!) just a vague feeling of melancholy that was hard to describe and I was REALLY irritable - like a bear with a sore head. A lot more calm and reflective tonight. The night pain has gone and I've come off painkillers. I was starting to not enjoy them (although I'm saving some Endomol for when I'm better and uber stressed and I can have a couple with a glass or red! Just kidding (maybe). Ha! I'm sticking to soups and shakes but I couldn't bear the thought of Optifast anymore. Had a Pea and Ham today which was well blended, but perhaps not 'through a straw' thin, but I chewed it very carefully and boy, was that a welcome treat! It felt like a meal and I was instantly happier. Had about 250mls easy.

One of the things I'm really enjoying is drinking yoghurt, which I picked up in Woolies. This has been great for my protein levels, but also for a real tangy taste; it's filling and far from bland. I am noticing a more 'full' feeling even with a cup of coffee or a small soup; I'm going to stick with soup for another week or so before going on to mushies. One of the things I'm hoping one of the more experienced bandits might let me know is, when do you actually KNOW you're full this early on? Or have eaten too much? Is it obvious?

I do get little 'electric shocks' of shoulder pain and these HURT but they are pretty rare; every body is different i suppose, and while I didn't get a lot of shoulder pain, I have had a LOT of painful burping. I'm hoping this calms down in time. 

I also went back to work - I'm a writer so I have a pretty sedentary job. I'm taking it very easy on myself, and am heading home a bit earlier than usual. 

Anyway - only 6 days in to my new life, but really happy and no regrets. I've lost about 5kg too, which just makes me smile every time!

weight.png
  • Like 1

Your new "full" is when you're no longer hungry, and that's it. If that happens in a couple of mouthfuls, great, or a cup of food, great, whatever works for you. My surgeon said to stop eating when you're no longer hungry, not the old style "full" as we used to know it.

There's no more "christmas dinner full" anymore - well there can be, but that would be a bad move.

Hi there Kiwizoo... just wondered if you had watched the 8 Golden Rules of Lap Banding by Prof. Paul O'Brien (one of Melbourne's lapband gurus) .... you can find the link at the beginning of the forums.... I have watched this a few times to remind myself what I have done and what I am doing .

I personally had no shoulder tip pain or burping but did have the most incredible back pain... I had to dose myself up to get any sleep at all... isn't it amazing how we are all so different but the same !!!

I also had the sads... I am a completely secret bander so had no one to help ,talk to or bring me a cuppa.... I got a bit sorry myself but if was my choice to do it that way. This forum really helped me through the recovery days.

I am banded 3 months now and have lost 17 kg... I am sooooooooooo glad I did it !!!!

Good luck and look forward to reading about your progress.....XX

• Like 1

Congratulations and welcome to your new life.

I have just come up to my 12mth anniversary and am now 30kg down and feel amazing.

I have had a few stuck moments and it has been down to my own stupidity. I was in Kuala Lumpur at Christmas time on holidays and thought I would grab a Latte whilst they cleaned our room. Hubby had gone on a walk so I went to Starbucks and grabbed my Latte and the lady asked if "I wanted a donut to go with that" ummmm "Yes pls". I had my coffee n donut to go and went back to my room. Sipping on my coffee and eating my donut, two bites in and I knew I was in trouble. Thankfully it clears it self but it would have been extremely embarrasing if this had happened in public.

As much as you think you can eat anything (trust me after 6mths of sailing through this I thought I had it sorted) you have to stick to the advise. I didnt have the band loosened because I was doing so well and kept my portions under control. Next time, I will take this offer. Long haul flights and airline food can be tricky.

Best advise I can give you is to chew and chew and make sure your sitting up straight when you eat. This helps tremendously.

Your first clothes shopping trip is going to be something of a landmark occasion and is the best feeling in the world. Dont spend a lot of money on things because you will only wear them for a short time. I have gone from a ladies size 22 to a 14. I only have a few more kgs to lose so I will go crazy when I have stablised. Trust me, people are so happy to see you and comment on the difference in you that they dont notice what your wearing.

When eating out if there is nothing on the menu that you can eat ask them for an entree serve of something you can. It happened to me only last week in a boutique cafe. A choice of Yiros, Foccacia or wedges. I said to the girl can I have a foccacia without the bread. She looked at me like I had lost my marbles. I said you dont have a salad on the board. She was happy to make it for me.

I havent told all of my friends what I have done and for those that I know are judgemental I have just said "portion control" under nutritionist guidelines. They dont question me as this is something that is constantly being discussed at the moment. The hard thing is leaving a lot of food on a plate when I am full. Now I get my meal and I use my side plate to eat off. It gives me more control and confidence.

I cant wait to hear of your progresses and your experiences. It is the best decision I have ever made and I wish you every success. It is an amazing journey.

Mandi

• Like 1

kiwizoo, thankyou so much for sharing your story.. this will make it easier for those who are just about to go through it..

looks like your journey is going well.. looking forward to joining you :) 

there are some very inspirational stories on here, and hoping to share mine soon!

Hi Kiwizoo,

Thanks for the update .

Mandi .

well done losing all that weight I bet you feel great in yourself I am due to be banded the beginning of Sept so its good to read up on how people are doing

Thanks

daisy

Thank you so much for your post.  

Just came on here to see how people are feeling at day 2 post surgery.  I am having my surgery on the 20/9 and just realised the kids will be competing in a dressage comp on the 22nd.  Hubby will be home from work so he will be able to take them, I was just wondering if I would possibly feel up to going and watching.  Will just play it by ear I think when the time comes :)

ONE MONTH IN!

Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of contact over the past 2 weeks. Work has taken me interstate. I'm flying a lot with no problems at all.

Anyway, thought I would give you all an overview of the past month.

The pain subsided after about 7 days - and got much better after 2 weeks. People still ask me if the procedure is painful and I say - not in itself, but the recovery is a bugger! I felt I had been kicked by a horse some days.  :huh:

The trick, I feel, is to keep smiling. We've all done this because we are unhappy with our bodies in some way or other, and a little bit of pain (and I mean, it's manageable with painkillers!) is just one of the unfortunate side effects. Your liver has to get raised up (read: physically lifted) for the procedure to happen with a lap-band, and the band is then stitched into place. This was a bit of a revelation to me as I was kind of paranoid about the band slipping - it is a hard thing to happen (although not impossible) when it is physically stitched into place!  :blink:

Paranoia creeps in when you least expect it when you have a foreign body in your, erm, body! :wacko: All sorts of strange dreams popped into my head and at first, and these were confronting. I kept asking myself "Is the band OK?' Am I eating too much?' Should I be having a glass of red?" And it took me some time to settle down and relax to be honest. The band is a robust thing and hundreds of thousands of people have had it without any complications; your experience is individual of course, but don't worry - we all feel these worries and they are apparently really common.

I started eating mushies by week 2 - soup has never felt so good! And I even had a glass of red wine, which just made me smile. I moved onto solid food (well, when I say solid - I mean, chewing it to a pulp) week 3 and again, this really made me feel good. Portion sizes have been small - I have never eaten the same amount as I had pre-band but my appetite remains big!

Healing is coming on really well too - scars are tiny and while noticeable, hardly worth a second glance.

I can feel the port - it's on my left side and my tummy is a LITTLE bit skewed because of where it's placed. (ie. My tummy now has a little dimple! :P ) I will grow to live with this. It's a little sore at times, but remember, this is stitched into the abdominal muscles, so naturally will take longer to heal and settle down (4-6 weeks apparently).

I have a 10ml band, which Dr Taylor from the O Clinic said is put in at a 'neutral' fill level of 3ml. And I'm eating well - but with little restriction. I haven't had a stuck moment, as I'm conscious and chew and chew and chew when I eat - but white bread (which I don't have often) makes me gasp a little and is followed by a slooooooooow wait until it goes down. You can feel it! (I'm quite intrigued as to how more experienced banders have first experienced this sensation?)

I am going for my first saline fill in 2 weeks time, and I am quite excited. Although a low BMI-er (I had a few weight related health issues) I have lost about 8% of my body weight in 4 weeks.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. Was it sore? A little - but it gets better quickly. Would I do it again? Absolutely? Am I a happier person? YES!

BEST thing about the band - I actually feel in control of my body for the first time in 10 years AND IT WORKS!!!

WORST thing about the band - the callousness and ignorance amongst friends and family. I was sent a news article from a 'friend' 7 days post-op about someone who had severe complications and had to have their stomach removed. (This is a one in 10,000 occurrence, but some people think they should 'inform you' of the dangers.) These people are idiots. Ignore them. Not the kind of thing you want to read in recovery. It hurt me deeply and made me really angry! I mean, would you send someone with diabetes a similar article? Or someone just recovering from heart surgery?)

Other tips: you have to be careful of nutrients - take your Vitamin pill every day - I noticed I was getting tired as a result of forgetting (silly I know!).

Optifast is still my choice of brekky, but the band feels tighter in the morning for some reason. Remember to pop in a few teaspoons of Beneful - it is great for constipation (sorry!).

But I am eating anything and everything - just less of it.

Anyway - off to bed. Good luck to all of you and feel free to holler with any Q's.

Will post again in a week or two once I've had my fill. Good luck and best wishes to you all.  :D

x

Hi Kiwizoo,

thanks for the update, didn't really think about it in detail (liver moved muscles sewn etc)! so yeah I guess all this needs time to recover too.

Glad your doing well after 6 weeks and congratulations on your 8% of body weight loss that's excellent>

Looking forward to your next update ,I will be just staring the optifast then (2 weeks time) and getting ready for the big day. lol

Da

Hi Kiwizoo and Mandi

Thanks for your updates. As someone who hasn't been banded yet bit is booked in next month, I've found your posts fantastic to read and made me feel even more positive about the decision I've made.

I hope you are both doing well and thanks again :D

Welcome Kiwizoo to the wonderful world of "The Bandits" Ahhh your posts brought back memories of the shoulder tip pain, the WTF have I done and the OMG what's happening. That was my first two weeks experience, the rest has been a breeze. I am 12 months post op and very happy. The only embarrassing moment I have had was on a long flight. High altitude = tighter band. Hence I have learnt that it is best to take a couple of ready made protein shakes. Also a couple of reds to help me relax. Congratulations on your new life and new journey. The sky is the limit, but remember the altitude. Cheers.

I had my band put in 8/8 and Im feeling okay ish (thank god for painkillers!) I'm sipping strained vegetable juices veeeeeerrrrryyyyy slowly and that's filling me up for now. Does anyone have any tips for mushy food? I'm a little terrified at the thought of eating more than liquids and want to get myself into the right head space.