MonkeyMum

Depressed about eating out!

Hi, I am 9weeks post op Sleeve tomorrow, and am finding now that I can manage my meals at home or when I pack my lunch for work. But am finding it extremely depressing when I have to eat out. I have had 4 meals out in the last two weeks and each time I am left feeling depressed because it is so hard to find small meals on a menu, and then when I get my small meal, I eat maybe 3 spoons full and then I am done. It is hard to manage eating out, I have eaten too much on a couple of those occasions, and am left feeling sick and overly full. I know in the long run I have done the right thing for me by having the Sleeve, but it certainly takes alot of adjusting your way of thinking.

It sure does. Remember, it took a while for us to form bad habits that we have been living all our lives. Allow some time for the sadness and the annoyance of not eating the way you want/used to eat to diminish. It gets better, now when i eat out i ask for a container and its normal to me to eat this way. That isnt to say that trom time to time i still feel sad about it.

• Like 1

A sleever I was chatting to last week said that between here and her husband they order an entrée and a main...she has some of the entrée then has a few bites of her husband's main. She has found that a good way to enjoy a meal out without feeling like she has missed out and it works for them.

• Like 1

I quite often share meals when I'm out with my kids. They don't mind at all cause they know I'll only eat a little bit. (I'm banded, not sleeved, but can still only eat smaller portions.)

I buy a regular meal, eat what I want and send the rest back. No harm, no foul.

Think of it this way....

Pre Band you ate the whole thing and didn't need it so it was still wasted.

• Like 4

I find my hubby and i usually want different things unfortunately. But most places will be happy to let you take your meal home. I have never had a restaurant not give me a container, most ask me if i want one when they see how much i havent eaten.

• Like 1

share with friend or partner, if you have one. My partner eats like a horse so we often order to meals, perhaps an entrée and a main, and I pick at both and he eats the rest. Works for me!

I also have a friend who is very food sensitive and if she over eats, she feels sick, so often when we go out we share a meal. I really think it's a mind over matter situation, you need to let go of the fact that you can't eat it all and really enjoy the little food that you can eat.

My family often eats out, but fortunately we go to places like Indian or Thai where I can get away with eating as little as I want and don't feel like the food is being wasted because we all share.

xxx

• Like 1

Hmmm If I remember rightly, right after surgery its difficult to eat much at all.  I remember going out with a friend and having a few bites and being full up and have her chuckle at me about it (in a friendly way)  As you continue on you will be able to eat more, around the amount that a banded person with the right fill level should eat, so nothing more then a side dish plate of food. 

I love that if I go out and order a chicken salad or something like that, that I can then have lunch and dinner for the next day aswell.  :)  I used to be embarrassed with asking to take it with me, but I am so over that now. I hate wasting food, and I DO NOT want to eat just because of that fact, so taking it home makes me look forward to the following days food.

I guess its about finding what suites you.....sharing, bagging it up for tomorrow, or just plain leaving it and walking away knowing its better for you, even if it sucks to do. 

• Like 1

It does get easier as you get further along, though can still be frustrating at times, i'm going out tonight to a pizza restaurant for a work thing, most people at work don't know about my surgery, though some do, not sure how i'll go but will just wing it. Yesterday i went to ikea, i was so excited i could get the swedish meatballs as a kids meal, i actually managed to eat all but a bit of the mashed potato, and only cost me bout $3, lol

• Like 3

it is frustrating when you want a particular thing and it just doesn't work for you...it can be very upsetting and depressing

Keep your chin up it becomes nothing and the less conscious you are about it the less people see, just forget the waste and the expense and think what you have saved all week on food anyway splurge on a $30 quality meal and savour the beautiful three mouthfuls and smile when you go shopping for the next dress size down eating out will become easy nobody even notices how much I eat now....if a waiter or waitress says anything I just say I had a really late lunch and im full can I take it home? if yes I freeze into small portions for lunches if not no big deal...your in the early days and it takes time to adjust...keep up the good work you will love your new life and food becomes a chore kind of like excersise pre op the tables do switch and your mind set will change as the KG's come off......and stick to the 8 golden rules xxxxxx

Hi, I am 9weeks post op Sleeve tomorrow, and am finding now that I can manage my meals at home or when I pack my lunch for work. But am finding it extremely depressing when I have to eat out. I have had 4 meals out in the last two weeks and each time I am left feeling depressed because it is so hard to find small meals on a menu, and then when I get my small meal, I eat maybe 3 spoons full and then I am done. It is hard to manage eating out, I have eaten too much on a couple of those occasions, and am left feeling sick and overly full. I know in the long run I have done the right thing for me by having the Sleeve, but it certainly takes alot of adjusting your way of thinking.

Hello - I tend to look for places to eat that do really small dishes to begin with, Tapas, Japanese, Sushi etc - so it doesn't feel odd or even noticeable to have a couple of really small plates (and a glass of wine of course!) and makes it feel like a night out. I'm in Sydney, so it's pretty easy to find places like this so I'm lucky. Otherwise I skip the entree when friends have theirs (sometimes have some olives etc.) and then have an entree when they're having their main. Nobody really notices or comments (they know I'm banded though!). Remember - if you're eating out YOU are paying the $$ so you can do what you like, and always ask for a container! A regular sized lasagne as a treat will last me 3 meals at home. The Italian owner says he takes it as a compliment when people ask to take food home! All the best for your journey ahead  :)

• Like 2

Not judging, but food obsession is very apparent in these posts. I found that my preocuppation with the bloody stuff almost went away post banding. Was anyone else that lucky?

• Like 1

Not judging, but food obsession is very apparent in these posts. I found that my preocuppation with the bloody stuff almost went away post banding. Was anyone else that lucky?

My obsession has changed since being banded. I used to be obsessed with eating everything on my plate and making sure I didn't miss out on any yummy food. I was also somewhat obsessed with punishing myself with food.

Now I'm obsessed with making sure I only eat 2-3 small meals per day with maybe popcorn after dinner if I'm hungry. I'm also obsessed with making every single meal count in that I try to make sure it has protein, low carbs, and healthy fats. I also plan ahead to have only foods I enjoy. 

I used to eat as punishment and felt I was missing out if I didn't eat everything ... I had no real boundaries. Now I eat for nutrition and enjoyment and I don't panic if I have to throw food out before I can get around to eating it. No matter how yummy the food is, if I sit down and start eating and then get full, I'm still satisfied that I've had enough and don't feel any need to go eating more just because it tastes good. I figure I can always eat it again another time.

• Like 2

I can identify with this. Last week we went to a buffet for lunch which cost $18.50 each and I hardly ate a thing but, then again, I didn't need that extra food. My major investment is in my long term health and in the big picture, for me its a small price to pay.

• Like 1

This is typical of when I eat out. BTW, my wife ate the dumpling.

• Like 1

Share meals... all my friends and family know I have a lap band and I never order a meal I just share whatever they order...

• Like 1

I went to a party recently and it was very easy to just get a small piece of this and that during the evening. Nobody noticed that I didn't heap my plate up.

LOL i hate eating out 

Tomorrow i got invited out and i know i have to chose to probably have a hot chocolate as its a tea lounge and everything else would fill me up way too much. 

I now just go and eat until im comfortable and then it gets chucked out 

I dont care anymore initially i would apolagise for how little i eat but i figure i better get used to it as its just the way it is 

and seriously if people are commenting about what i eat that is their problem not mine 

We went to the club one night and i shared a kids meal with my son 

In fact it great having someone else with a little tummy as we share most things :)

One time i was starving and i scoffed and scoffed bad bad idea . I ate probably 6 or 7 forkfuls but its was rice and stuff and i spent over an hour in the bath tub in pain trying to vomit 

worst feeling !!!! 

Nope, I think mine has gotten worse. Even my friends comment about how obsessed I am about planning what I'm going to eat and how many calories it costs me. I don't see it as a bad thing though, cause if I didn't do that, I'd constantly be overeating. I, unfortunately am still able to eat anything I like, and have a really hard time stopping when I'm no longer hungry as you should. I'm constantly arguing with myself about grazing too, aware of the 3 small meals policy, but having a hard time sticking to that when my stomach starts rumbling. 

I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow and I'm embarrassed and ashamed that I'll have lost nothing since my last visit 2 months ago. We'll see what he says.

Me either. I constantly think about food. But I am much more aware of which foods I shouldn't be eating and why. Prior to banding I "knew" what bad foods were, I just didnt care enough to stop myself eating them.

• Like 1