casey90

Who did you see and why?

Hi everyone,

I'm only new. I've signed up for private health insurance so I still need to wait 12months but I'm researching into where to go, who's good, who is better and prices etc... So I was wondering who did you see and what were the pro's and cons, how long did it take for the process from first appt to surgery and how much was it?

I'm from Adelaide but am currently living in Whyalla (4hrs north) so I'd have to travel down for all the appts but I come down to visit my family and friends so that's not a huge issue. 

Any advice, where to start etc would be awesome, thanks so much =D

If you could get to Melbourne, I would recommend Professor O'Brien.  He is a pioneer in lapbanding and he is such a warm, caring man.  I was sick for a little while after my banding an he even called me on a Sunday evening to see if I was ok.   I was so impressed.  The aftercare, which is really important, is unbelieveable.  Nothing is too much trouble and his surgery CBS bulkbill fills.  Perfect!  I self funded and the whole thing cost me $9990.

Good luck.

I saw Dr Paul Anderson (in Morphett Vale), mostly because he was the nearest one to me lol. He is good. :)

I saw Dr Paul Leong in Salisbury and North Adelaide, he was great. He has a website and you are able to email and get some initial information before you make the journey down to Adelaide if you want to. I went with him because my GP referred me. He is happy to answer any questions you have. I originally booked in for a band but changed to having a sleeve which wasn't an issue.

Good luck with you decision and journey :-)

• Like 1

My mum and I both went with Dr Paul Leong. He answers all questions we have and is very helpful. We are both very happy with our choice.

Good Luck Casey90 :)

Dr Teague from the Ashford hospital. He is amazing! I paid $2800 but I believe it has gone up a little and that includes everything except the excess for PHI. You don't need a referral and appointments are bulk billed even for fills if your getting a band.

My cousin and his wife went through Dr Leong and were really impressed with him. Im looking at going to the Ashford clinic, I've heard quite a bit about it how good it is plus the fact that it's one bill really helps. They suggested I make an appt before June incase the price might go up at the end of financial year but it'll be locked in from my first appt and then can do all my appts and once my 12 months is up can get an appointment straight away!! Totally excited and nervous

Thanks Casey90 I'm also thinking about Ashford but didn't know about the possible price rise.  Is the price locked in after you see the clinic GP or after you see the surgeon?

From your first appt the price is locked in and because my 12 months isn't up until Oct next year they said i could do all the appts before and then at 12 months 1 day i can get the surgery done :-) hope that helps

• Like 1

That's great, I've already had my PHI for over a year just need to save up the $3250 for Ashford and my $500 excess.

I was banded in Darwin but am often in Adelaide. I found it very difficult to find someone, anyone that would do 'just a fill' for me. Everyone wanted me to register with them or sign up for their care plan - one place even asked for $500 just to get an appointment!!!

Found a lady (embarrassingly) I don't know her name, at flinders. I don't particularly like her, she did tell me I shouldn't have premarital sex and that only god can save us - but she did have the ability to make the adjustments I needed to my band.....

OMG nicolalia that's so inappropriate! I would have reported her.

i myself have been through the Ashford Hospital

can not fault them Dr Sabine did my band and Dr Paul Anderson. 

Dr Mark Yeager and Dr Ben Teague have glowing reviews through the same clinic. 

i had to have an emergency adjustment and not only was the ashford clinic closed .. 

Dr Yaeger stepped out between surgeries to assist me .. i was shocked that i didnt have to go to Flinders Medical centre .. 

i came from calvary to ashford , i can not fault ashford at all and would recommend them to everyone :) 

Thanks for that you've put my mind a bit more at ease, I'm getting banded next Tuesday with Dr Teague at Ashford and was doubtful as only recently moved to Adelaide and not really knowing anyone or anything about them. I had a heart operation at Ashford last year and couldn't fault the nursing staff there.

hi - i went through Dr Justin Bessell at Adelaide Obesity Surgery. Out of pocket was $3,000, but all my appts are now free. I am really happy with how everything went, and the aftercare is amazing!

• Like 1

Can anyone banded by Dr Bessell please give me a rough indication on what you had to pay for the anesthetist in addition to the $3000 paid to the clinic?

Can anyone banded by Dr Bessell please give me a rough indication on what you had to pay for the anesthetist in addition to the $3000 paid to the clinic?

Hmm my $3000 included the anaesthetist i think.

Im doing mine with dr lilian kow at flinders private through adelaide bariatric centre. I was referred by my GP. The cost is 2500$ also covering anesthesiologist. Endoscopy was $500 and ultrasound was $200. Inital consults worked out to be approx $200. This is all calculated to be the amount I paid out of pocket with insurance. I am going in on the 21st. I will ask lilian how much it is to get adjustments done for you when I see her next week but im fairly sure they are bulk billed and you pay bout 70 $ out of pocket

Im doing mine with dr lilian kow at flinders private through adelaide bariatric centre. I was referred by my GP. The cost is 2500$ also covering anesthesiologist. Endoscopy was $500 and ultrasound was $200. Inital consults worked out to be approx $200. This is all calculated to be the amount I paid out of pocket with insurance. I am going in on the 21st. I will ask lilian how much it is to get adjustments done for you when I see her next week but im fairly sure they are bulk billed and you pay bout 70 $ out of pocket

I was banded by Lillian and she is lovely. Fantastic bedside manner and the whole team is very supportive.

There is no charge for follow up appointments. I still go every 4-6 weeks and all appointments are bulk billed - there is no out of pocket after the surgery.

Hi all I just had my banding done with Dr Paul Leong - total cost was $2500 out of pocket, endoscope was covered under medicare. This includes 18 months of post op appointments also. He was really quick to get in to and I only had a hospital excess of 250 with Calvary Central Districts. Would definately recommend him for others :)

Dr D'onofrio was recommended by a nurse that used him. We both got the sleeve but I do know he does band, sleeve and bypass. He is brilliant, honest, upfront and tells you like it is.

He is a great cutter and very much the advocate for his patients. He is in Gawler and North Adelaide and works from Nth Adelaide Calvary Hospital. I just think he is great.  I had sleeve 2yrs ago it was $2500 and on Fridays the gas man doesn't charge a gap. He fixed a hiatus hernia I had at the time. Follow ups are free although I don't know if there is a gap for fills.

I am having issues with reflux which I had prior to surgery so will be getting revision to bypass and have to have another hiatus hernia repair.

cheers