So, I had all of my fill out today - after 11 months, my band all of a sudden got tight tight tight and I couldnt keep anything down, not even water.

My doctor is going to wait a month and then start again.

My question is - will it be like it was when I first got my band, with lots of small fills, slowly working up to the green zone again? Can anyone tell me please - I forgot to ask him. I was too excited by being able to drink water (its the simple things in life!!!)

Yes, I think so.

If anything, this time around he'll be even more careful.

Been there, done that.

Good Luck.

Mine's been drained a few times now and after the next Gastroscopy, it's time for a review.

I'm hoping he'll consider me for a sleeve.

I'm SO over the band!

I had a similar instance, and then I asked him to keep putting back in until I got back to the same level of fill as the green zone. Reality is, I'm much tighter with less fill this time around.

Not sure why, these bands are crazy things. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi all

Really, it depends. I don't think you would have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Let's say for easiness that you had 7 ml as your green zone, but you recall it wasn't until 4.5 that you felt restriction. Then, for whatever reason, it is too tight or surgery, it is drained. When you're ready to go again, they could start off at 4.5 ml. Have a drink in the clinic before you leave to make sure it goes through. Then start to get towards where it used to be. You might find that this time round 6 ml is your new 7 ml for equal restriction.

:)

I had all my fill taken out when I went to India last year as a precaution. When I went to be refilled my Dr in Adelaide would only take me up to 5ml for the first refill, though she wasn't really keen on that - I was very insistent. Went back to Darwin and it took two more fills to bring me up to 9.5. My Darwin Dr is fairly happy to do larger adjustments while the Adelaide Dr likes to go annoyingly slow! 

Also agree that the same amount to fill feels different! Wasn't able to eat chicken before but now i have no problems!

I agree with the above. I have had fill removed for major operations and for my last one the clinic said the research had now changed. They said that the research said that there was no need to remove fill prior to operations- I presume this is they have had little issues with it. My concern was having hospital food get stuck recovering from back surgery in hospital for 4 weeks. Anethasists sometimes panic and want it out mine have usually been fine and just want to know where my port was in case. Every time I've had this done I've never gotten back to my highest fill level. Usually they might do a biggish one to start but it is slow going.

Will be interested to see. I feel like before i give up i should do the same and kinda have a fresh start, start from scratch and see how i go 

• Like 1

I agree with the above. I have had fill removed for major operations and for my last one the clinic said the research had now changed. They said that the research said that there was no need to remove fill prior to operations- I presume this is they have had little issues with it. My concern was having hospital food get stuck recovering from back surgery in hospital for 4 weeks. Anethasists sometimes panic and want it out mine have usually been fine and just want to know where my port was in case. Every time I've had this done I've never gotten back to my highest fill level. Usually they might do a biggish one to start but it is slow going.

I rang and asked my band Dr about whether to get fill removed prior to surgery and was told I didn't need to have anything removed.

I rang and asked my band Dr about whether to get fill removed prior to surgery and was told I didn't need to have anything removed.

I got the same answer too

• Like 1

Well, I shall keep everyone posted. I go back on 14 November I think, so will discuss it with my Doc :)  

Hi all

Really, it depends. I don't think you would have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Let's say for easiness that you had 7 ml as your green zone, but you recall it wasn't until 4.5 that you felt restriction. Then, for whatever reason, it is too tight or surgery, it is drained. When you're ready to go again, they could start off at 4.5 ml. Have a drink in the clinic before you leave to make sure it goes through. Then start to get towards where it used to be. You might find that this time round 6 ml is your new 7 ml for equal restriction.

:)

I think in most cases where the band is drained, they do need to go very slow because as JouJou pointed out, for some reason when the fluid is put back in, we seem to have more restriction with less fluid. I'm not exactly sure why this happens. Perhaps the oesophagus is dilated or a pouch has formed and the band sits a bit tighter with these conditions? 

I think in most cases where the band is drained, they do need to go very slow because as JouJou pointed out, for some reason when the fluid is put back in, we seem to have more restriction with less fluid. I'm not exactly sure why this happens. Perhaps the oesophagus is dilated or a pouch has formed and the band sits a bit tighter with these conditions? 

I think the oesophagus adjusts to fill levels, which is why you feel less restricted a week or two after a fill. I'm sure my Dr has mentioned this to me previously. Somehow it "adjusts", but I don't know the details. So if you put in a large volume of fill at once then I would assume (??) as you haven't previously adjusted over time from smaller fills, then you would feel the same level of fill as being more restricted. I dont even know what capacity my band is or how much fill I have in there as the only thing that matters to me is how the restriction feels and I know everyone feels this differently.