hurricanesky

Christmas Banders

I'm 4 days today too Sammy. Maybe didn't have quite the dream run that Sammy 's had but after feeling nauseous and sore the first couple of days am now feeling pretty good. Am planning on working a few hours tomorrow afternoon (desk job) ...... Just hoping I don't nod off! Am relishing the time off this week and have got into the habit of an afternoon nap! As my work involves back to back Christmas parties next week, think I'll take that off too. Luckily have ample sick leave. Having to explain over and over why I'm refusing peoples' home cooked Christmas fare is a bit daunting.

Are you feeling well enough to work?

No no buddha, I have 4 days UNTIL i get it done, sorry I should've worded it better.

I've now been off work for 4 weeks with my broken leg because I had surgery on that too, I was allowed to go back on Monday coming, but I was told I would need another week off following my lapband surgery which is Tuesday. I'm kind of lucky in the sense that I could just roll this all into one and say it's extra leave for my leg. So I'm just wondering if it is a possible expectation at all that I'll feel good enough to head back to work on say Thursday? Unlike you, I've now used all my sick leave. I am very lucky to have a boss who has convinced his ops manager to allow me to dig into my annual leave even though this is unplanned absence and annual leave is all booked out.

So mostly, I just wanna know if anyone has any tips for a nice recovery. I'm at a desk as well so I should be fine, but with my being on crutches and all, I don't want to overdo it.

Thanks for the heads up. 4 days for me now.

When you say get out of bed, did you just go for a walk around or did you spend a fair bit of time out of bed. I wanna get back to work ASAP afterwards so I'm looking for the best possible recovery time :)

Both walked up and down corridor sat in chair in my room only got into bed when I was sleepy but that didn't happen very often ...I home now and just had a good nap always better in your own bed

• Like 1

Both walked up and down corridor sat in chair in my room only got into bed when I was sleepy but that didn't happen very often ...I home now and just had a good nap always better in your own bed

Thats good! Hopefully my leg isn't as sore as it was today and I can try and move around a little!

Unfortunately the pain meds they put you on knock me out like a brick so I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay awake!

All is well today keeping up my fluids , 3 days since surgery and have already dropped a kilo woohhhooo ..pain is zero...where my port is the pulling feeling has almost gone ...I am following the post op diet to the letter so not to miss out on anything I shouldn't be, which probally adds to the fact I don't feel lethargic.

Will still take it easy though don't want to ruin my good progress by over doing it so DVDs today don't want to go outside anyway its going to reach 40 today in Perth.

xxxx

• Like 4

Good to here hurricane! I braved the shopping centre today.....4 hours of walking around, lugging bags then wrapping at home. All done thankfully but feeling slightly sore now around port and some shoulder tip pain but, all in all, not too bad. Having a well-deserved rest.

Have been following my doc's first week diet of any fluids any time you feel like them. Apart from water, I haven't really felt like much at all. As of this morning's weigh-in I've lost 6 kg since last Monday. Around a kilo a day! Didn't think that was possible. Very happy though and feel fine! Know it won't last. Starting mushie food tomorrow. Spending a bit of time thinking about the yummy possibilities but hardly seems worth cooking anything special if I can only eat half a cup if I'm lucky. So much has changed in under a week!! Thankfully!!

Any recommendations of good DVDs?

• Like 3

Just out of curiosity where is everyones port site located, my biggest incision which the nurse told me is the port site is exactely in the middle of my chest just below my bra line. I am also following everything to the letter and am feeling great and I hope everyone else is getting on fine. :D  :D

• Like 2

My port is a couple of inches above my waist, on the left hand side (like, in line with the centre of my left boob). I can feel it which freaks me out a little! But I haven't really poked around too much as the incision is still healing. I'm a week out now and feel pretty good. Just get a few twinges if I move the wrong way. And I get a bit sore at night, but probably because I've done too much during the day. Overall I'm happy I've done it and it's awesome to see the scales go down every day.

• Like 2

Hi guys! I was banded on the 5th of December by dr nottle at western private. It's safe to say that it was a terrible experience, however the surgery went well apparently. I ended up with a dislocated jaw once I woke up in recovery. No one knew why.. the whole hospital was talking about it. I had to stay like that for 29 hours because the night doctor said she was an "expert" at jaws and said it wasn't dislocated and tried pulling and tugging at it while I was awake to put it back in place. The only time I saw my surgeon was when he came in to say he hadn't seen a case like mine in 30 years and that they will "fix me up soon". Apart from that all he said was your surgery went fine and left. I would have expected more to be honest. Atleast ask me if I had any questions or wait for me to ask a question. I wasn't very happy at all. But I'm feeling very good still have shoulder tip pain, I'm living off sippable yogurts, soups, and up and go and water and berocca for energy. I don't know when I should have started mushie stage and how long after my surgery I can slowly transition into solid foods? I'm starting to crave normal food! I will be seeing my surgeon on Wednesday hopefully I can get a few things off my chest. The hospital has no answer as to why it happend. The anesethis in my opinion had no idea what he was doing, I have bruises all over my hands and arms. He was basically handballing it off to others. It was crazy! Ah well 10 days post op and I've lost 5kgs. I'm so looking forward to eating solids it's not funny!! Hope everyone went well with their surgeries!

Wow thats awful readyforanewlife! I am one week post op and am very pleased to say Ive lost 6.1kg!! Couldnt believe it. I expect most of that is fluid though and things will slow up considerably. I ate half a mushed up kiwi fruit today, that was nice. I have had no problems with too much pain but have the stitch in my left hand side and am still quite bloated unfortunately. I went back to work today and that went well, just a little tired. Im looking forward to hearing how everyone progresses,  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi guys! I was banded on the 5th of December by dr nottle at western private. It's safe to say that it was a terrible experience, however the surgery went well apparently. I ended up with a dislocated jaw once I woke up in recovery. No one knew why.. the whole hospital was talking about it. I had to stay like that for 29 hours because the night doctor said she was an "expert" at jaws and said it wasn't dislocated and tried pulling and tugging at it while I was awake to put it back in place. The only time I saw my surgeon was when he came in to say he hadn't seen a case like mine in 30 years and that they will "fix me up soon". Apart from that all he said was your surgery went fine and left. I would have expected more to be honest. Atleast ask me if I had any questions or wait for me to ask a question. I wasn't very happy at all. But I'm feeling very good still have shoulder tip pain, I'm living off sippable yogurts, soups, and up and go and water and berocca for energy. I don't know when I should have started mushie stage and how long after my surgery I can slowly transition into solid foods? I'm starting to crave normal food! I will be seeing my surgeon on Wednesday hopefully I can get a few things off my chest. The hospital has no answer as to why it happend. The anesethis in my opinion had no idea what he was doing, I have bruises all over my hands and arms. He was basically handballing it off to others. It was crazy! Ah well 10 days post op and I've lost 5kgs. I'm so looking forward to eating solids it's not funny!! Hope everyone went well with their surgeries!

Sounds like they didn't give you a lot of information about the band and what comes after surgery... liquids is for 2 weeks after that mushies for 2 weeks then start to introduce solids..........not a good start but put all that behind you now everything is going to get better all uphill from now   :D

• Like 1

Wow thats awful readyforanewlife! I am one week post op and am very pleased to say Ive lost 6.1kg!! Couldnt believe it. I expect most of that is fluid though and things will slow up considerably. I ate half a mushed up kiwi fruit today, that was nice. I have had no problems with too much pain but have the stitch in my left hand side and am still quite bloated unfortunately. I went back to work today and that went well, just a little tired. Im looking forward to hearing how everyone progresses,  :rolleyes:

Way to go!!!

All is well here 4 days since op feeling fab 5kgs down wooohhoo

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Well two more sleeps and then my turn, readyforanewlife, sorry to hear about your experience but glad to hear going well now,

glad everyone else went smoothly and also doing well, eases my mind a little.

Not sure about elsewhere but my dietician is coming to the hospital Wednesday arvy to go over things, told me this is done here.

Would have liked to have seen her a couple of days before so I could get stuff ready at home (home alone after surgery for about 2 weeks) but thanks to this website, I have got a few things together now.

I think Sammy1491 is tmw, good luck!!!

• Like 2

I think Sammy1491 is tmw, good luck!!!

Looking to here in a freak out moment for some encouragement, so thank you. I had my nanny's funeral today and it's been an emotional one, add to that the fact that I was with my entire dads side of the family who have no idea what I'm up for tomorrow so I couldn't share my nerves with them. It's all up been a pretty stressful day and I'm pretty nervous now. Just thinking that it will be done in about 12 hours time and then there's nothing to worry about.

• Like 2

Best of luck Sammy and thistime!! This time next week you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about!! Just take deep breaths.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, Sammy. I hope she's at peace now.

I've now been banded for a week. It's been a lot different from what I expected, and I think a bit easier. I haven't been in as much pain as I thought I was going to be in. I haven't been able drink much [my doctor said my band was tight already] so it's been hard on these last few hot days. I just want to have a big gulp of ice cold water, but I can't do it. Instead I'm constantly sip, sip, sipping away. I went back to work yesterday too, which was ok, except after our staff meeting today we all went to the pub, so I had to make up an excuse about having plans for a big dinner out and just keep sipping on water. My shoulder tip pain is a bit further down into my arm, and geez it hurts some times. I've lost 6kg in the last week, and 12 all up since starting the shakes.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, Sammy. I hope she's at peace now.

I've now been banded for a week. It's been a lot different from what I expected, and I think a bit easier. I haven't been in as much pain as I thought I was going to be in. I haven't been able drink much [my doctor said my band was tight already] so it's been hard on these last few hot days. I just want to have a big gulp of ice cold water, but I can't do it. Instead I'm constantly sip, sip, sipping away. I went back to work yesterday too, which was ok, except after our staff meeting today we all went to the pub, so I had to make up an excuse about having plans for a big dinner out and just keep sipping on water. My shoulder tip pain is a bit further down into my arm, and geez it hurts some times. I've lost 6kg in the last week, and 12 all up since starting the shakes.

Thankyou, it was peaceful and she's with he husband of 56 years now :)

Shoulder tip pain - when did that come

? I'm 6 hours out and I feel a little tender on my abs but that's all(other than completely drugged up and hardly able to type on here).

Overall so far so good, I'm ready to sleep the night away and hope for there to be minimal pain :)

• Like 3

Thankyou, it was peaceful and she's with he husband of 56 years now :)

Shoulder tip pain - when did that come

? I'm 6 hours out and I feel a little tender on my abs but that's all(other than completely drugged up and hardly able to type on here).

Overall so far so good, I'm ready to sleep the night away and hope for there to be minimal pain :)

good to hear Sammy ....sleep well hope you wake up feeling good :)

good to hear Sammy ....sleep well hope you wake up feeling good :)

Waking up is strange, it's not excruciating pain but it's pain I can't describe, a little surgically sore around the port but it kinda just feels like I've been kicked in the upper stomach and winded a bit. Still no shoulder tip pain of any kind, drinking soluble Panadol/panadeine is probably the biggest bother of all so I'm happy with how it's gone :)

• Like 1

Waking up is strange, it's not excruciating pain but it's pain I can't describe, a little surgically sore around the port but it kinda just feels like I've been kicked in the upper stomach and winded a bit. Still no shoulder tip pain of any kind, drinking soluble Panadol/panadeine is probably the biggest bother of all so I'm happy with how it's gone :)

It will get better and better everyday just a small forgettable part of your new journey xxxx

Taking tablets in the initial stages....how did everyone find that?

The nurse told me I would be okay to break my panadeine forte in half and take it, but for fear of screwing something up I have broken them into quarters, but it still feels strange going down. I also have anti-inflammatory tablets and aspirin for my broken leg which are quite small, but as I swallow them down with water, I feel like I've just eaten a truckload of food even though it's just water and 3 tablets. While that's exciting cos it means the band is doing it's job, should I still be trying to have some actual food (smoothies or soup) or is that just going to make me feel worse. And did everyone else's stomach make a lot of noise? Grumbling type noises haha

after the 2 days initial clear liquids then you can have soup , meal replacement drink can be of your choice , milk , apple juice ,orange juice without the pulp we have to do that for 2 weeks then your on mushies for another 2.......its the swelling in your belly that is making it feel tight my doc told me once the swelling goes down basically your belly is back to normal until the first fill so before then I may get hungrier.

Im still worried about tablets I make them as small as I can hahaha

Be prepared for the grumbles burping and the tooting :P

hope your feeling better and better every day

xxxx

You should be feeling a little better today sammy1491. I felt a little better each day. I felt like I had a tennis ball in my left side when I moved. No pain, just discomfort. I am day 11 and still have a bit of shoulder tip pain in the middle of my left shoulder blade. It does get sore, but panadol eases it. I weighed myself on day 6 and had lost 6 kg and have decided I will weigh once a week on a sunday morning. All good so far, getting ready to try something a little more solid. Wish me luck!

• Like 2

Taking tablets in the initial stages....how did everyone find that?

The nurse told me I would be okay to break my panadeine forte in half and take it, but for fear of screwing something up I have broken them into quarters, but it still feels strange going down. I also have anti-inflammatory tablets and aspirin for my broken leg which are quite small, but as I swallow them down with water, I feel like I've just eaten a truckload of food even though it's just water and 3 tablets. While that's exciting cos it means the band is doing it's job, should I still be trying to have some actual food (smoothies or soup) or is that just going to make me feel worse. And did everyone else's stomach make a lot of noise? Grumbling type noises haha

Hi Sammy1491, I take 6 tablets a day( 2 slow release )  and my surgeon said space them out and take 1 at a time - a bother but it worked and I also take panadeine forte but didn't cut these up as they're a slow release tablet and cutting them up and taking them as pieces affects how they work. Before I have any liquid I pop 1 of my tablets in my mouth. Check with your chemist if not sure, same as the pre-op nurse told me to stop taking 1 of my tablets 5 days before but the pre-op Dr told me not to stop any and when I pointed out what the nurse said I was informed he was the Dr! B)  B)