hurricanesky

Christmas Banders

You should be feeling a little better today sammy1491. I felt a little better each day. I felt like I had a tennis ball in my left side when I moved. No pain, just discomfort. I am day 11 and still have a bit of shoulder tip pain in the middle of my left shoulder blade. It does get sore, but panadol eases it. I weighed myself on day 6 and had lost 6 kg and have decided I will weigh once a week on a sunday morning. All good so far, getting ready to try something a little more solid. Wish me luck!

Oh definitely feeling a little better today. I can feel it a little in my chest as well but the pain isn't unbearable. Looking forward to my first outing to a friends birthday tomorrow. Since my leg I haven't done much so I'm looking forward to getting out and about.

Good luck with the more solid food! It will be different and I for one know I'll be freaking out when it comes to that! Hopefully I am as successful with weight loss as you this quick but I'm also realistic. I strangely feel very heavy and fat at the moment despite eating so little, it's just the whole feeling of being full I reckon. I'm still adjusting.

• Like 1

Hi all,

day 3 since surgery and ok so far, just got home, bit worried as I am in a fair bit of pain but doctor says it's fine.

Day 1 was great but 2 and 3 argh, pain whenever I move in my port area and sometimes where the band is, only occasional shoulder pain but bad reflux which not too bad coming up but must reverberate?? back down and through band, funny sensation all over stomach. And to top all off period decided to start!

Trying to keep fluids up but between sleeping and waking not sure if having enough but keeping a food diary, I find it hard to work out when I'm full too, anyone else have that problem.

Anyway thanks for listening, it's nice to be able to ramble on :)

Hope everyone is doing fine, just imagine what we will be talking about this time next year...

• Like 1

You have no restriction in your band yet, just the swelling stopping the amount that goes in my doc said once the swelling goes then the hunger will return .

Try and move around as much as you can will stop you stiffening up shoulder pain will go a lot quicker.

I must of been one of the luckier ones my recovery I have sailed through

thats what we are here for rambles hahahaha :D

• Like 2

I've been the same this time, the pain was ok on the first day and got worse from there. Today is day 5 and I am feeling much much better, a small amount of discomfort as expected and my skin is a little itchy which must mean healing! I am still young and wild so I ambitiously took myself out to one of my best friends 21st birthday parties last night, safe to say I struggled and felt quite swollen and uncomfortable, in fact that would be an understatement. I do return to work tomorrow so that will be interesting but I'm mostly struggling to tell the difference between full and sore, they seem to be the same at the moment. It's hard to notice the 12 kilos I've lost when I feel so bloated all the time. But regardless I am very excited for the future, and I am not feeling like I'm missing out yet despite having just baked a whole lot of sweet goods for my family for Christmas! Hopefully being a couple of days on you're feeling a little better :)

• Like 1

That's what I have been doing baking baking baking trying to make everyone else fat around me so I look skinnier quicker hahahahhaa

• Like 2

Hi All

Day 5 since banded, did anyone else still have major pain particularly at port site. Had bad day today, lying or sitting fine, everything else omg! Needless to say very depressed, all emotions in one today, thank god no one can see me and thank god for this site. (I don't think it has helped either that I'm home alone now until New Year - I skipped travel to have op, wouldn't worry me normally but with the drugs and body all over place I'm obviously out of sorts)

Have been jumping on and reading to try and keep my mind at ease. I know early days and that it wouldn't be walk in park and as I had a great day 1 was really excited but has now disappeared.

Just trying to keep an eye on the big picture and I guess try and look at it like the Optifast stage, no one likes it but before u know it all done. Going to contact nurse/doctor tomorrow to see if all ok.

Pre Banders if reading this don't stress too much, everyone is affected by surgery differently, I have been on this site since October and ready almost everything here, and know good and bad days, it's just nice we have this outlet and can talk freely (secret bander) and I guess a little reassurance from past and experienced Banders!

Thanks Everyone!!! :)

• Like 1

I am day 6 this time, and I seriously have no idea where the port is but I get a pain like a nerve pinching to the left and about an inch above my belly button whenever I bend or twist. Mum says it's not the port and it's just a part of surgery, and that eased today. If you are talking about the wound itself, my dressings got changed today and while it's bruised and a little tender, it's healing nicely and it's not bothering me at all. It may be best just in case to double check with your surgeon. But everyone recovers at a different pace so you should be feeling much better after a few days :) it will all be worth it in the end

• Like 1

I started mushies today. Just had half a Weet-Bix for breakfast and I'm completely full. It's such a trip realising that I used to be able to eat 5 or 6 and be hungry an hour later, now I can only just eat half and be full for ages.

• Like 2

Sammy I struggled with 1/4 panadiene forte for the first week. Every single bit dropped like a stone. Just be patient and it will pass as you heal up.

• Like 2

I started mushies today. Just had half a Weet-Bix for breakfast and I'm completely full. It's such a trip realising that I used to be able to eat 5 or 6 and be hungry an hour later, now I can only just eat half and be full for ages.

I went out for lunch today with 3 other family member who all ordered calamari chips and salad and here I was ordering the  softest thing I could, a slice of quiche (no pastry for me) had only been able to eat a  tablespoon full and the bloody others hoed into the rest then spent the rest of the time calling me a cheap date hahaha

• Like 1

I did the same thing when we had a work lunch last week. Ordered the softest thing I could think of, bangers and mash and just ate the mash. I had taken about three bites and was feeling full, then looked around at everyone else and they had finished. It was completely bizarre, especially because I used to always be the first one finished.

Food is going to be interesting tomorrow as well. My mum has plans to blend everything up for me, but I have a feeling I'm going to get a plate as big as everyone elses full of blended Christmas dinner, and then dessert on top. I'm full just thinking about it.

• Like 1

I want to Wish all my Christmas banders a wonderful day tommorro going to be a little strange as we wont be feeling guilty because we ate to much..... BECAUSE WE CANT !!!! hahahahaha....have a great day anyway we have been given the best present of all this year xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Like 3

I want to Wish all my Christmas banders a wonderful day tommorro going to be a little strange as we wont be feeling guilty because we ate to much..... BECAUSE WE CANT !!!! hahahahaha....have a great day anyway we have been given the best present of all this year xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And a great Merry :D   :) Christmas to you and all of our Christmas Banders as well as all the other lovely Bandits. My first day of mushies today but I'm going well so far :rolleyes:  B) . I feel a bit terrible as I've  had no problems with anything so far and it's the best I've felt for ages and I'm going great. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

Have just found this site and love reading your comments and words of encouragement.

I am scheduled to have banding in Feb 2014 and am preparing as much as possible.

I have a 2.5 hour drive from my home to the hospital and have not told anyone (family or friends) that I am having the surgery.

My questions is this...would I be able to drive myself home the day after surgery or should I opt for a second night in hospital (my health insurance will cover the cost)? 

We live an hour away from our hospital and I'm pretty good with pain but no you won't be able to drive - the pain medication + anesthetic are not a good mix and the hospital most probably won't let you. Does where you live have community cars or similar that you could book? On the other hand you could ask somebody and meet them at the front of the hospital as you don't have to tell them you had banding ( you could classify it as a 'women's problem' or 'mans' ). I myself am not a secret bander but I can understand why some people are.  Good luck with your journey B)  :rolleyes:  P.s  I drove 3 days after out of neccessity but wouldn't reccomend it.   :mellow:

If health ins covers, stay in, I had a 2 day stay and then one day home with people before they left interstate so home alone, also a secret bander, would have liked another day in, as my recovery wasn't as quick as some of the others and was a bit of struggle at home without support. Maybe do as Leannej suggested, also talk to your doctor, I'm sure there have been other people in similar situations and they may have options.

Good luck and welcome!

Thank you ........and good luck with your journey also.

Watching everyone swell up yesterday and complain about how much they'd eaten was a sense of accomplishment all on its own. It was difficult but it's worth it for me in the end.

I'm amazed, i feel fantastic, I've healed inside and out 8 days on, I've got a slight appetite which was what I struggled with whilst still in pain making it hard to get hydrated, let alone the necessary nutrition. I miss some foods, but most of the time what I'm missing is the process of chewing and I know this liquid stage isn't forever, that's what helps me.

But the biggest news I have, is that after lots of debate with myself and a lot of attention focused on my 'liquid diet' that my dad thought I was doing and miraculously sticking to, I decided to fess up last night. Before telling him I said I had made a big decision about my health and I wanted his support more than anything. And I got it which is a huge relief to me and a better Christmas present than any money could buy. Inside I know he was struggling, he said he wasn't sure how he'd react if it was pre-op but it's done now so he'll support me. I'm happy I left it til later though, and I told him I'm not ashamed and I'm not embarrassed, that I decided the quality of my life had to change and this was my proactive way of getting started. So here's to my new life with BOTH my parents behind me. To a 13 kg weight loss to date. And also to me finally walking! 2014 is going to be one hell of an amazing year :)

• Like 6

Have a habit I have to try and break, drinking while having something to eat ,something so simple but hard to change for some stupid reason...

• Like 1

Hi all, I am a new bander from Dec 19. Surgery went fine, first night a bit rough and battled a bit with nausea and gas pain. Came home from hospital with a bit of a sore wrist and thought they must have accidentally let it bang something under anaesthetic. NOPE! Little did I know what was to come.

Two days later, slowly wandered into the shop to get one thing with my daughter. BAM, collapsed on the floor unconscious. Came to and some lovely people helped me get back on my feet and find my husband. Went home straight to bed with a still sore wrist. Woke up to find a long 15 cm glaring red stripe down my arm and felt terribly ill and in agony. Off to ER.

Taken straight through, given morphine, 1 hour excruciating ultrasound on arm and neck veins, cat scan with contrast etc and finally a diagnosis: Thrombophlebitis, similar to DVT, a clot in my arm from wrist to elbow. SOOO much pain! Apparently from the IV cannula.

4 days in hospital over Christmas, copious heparin injections, full on antibiotics, anti inflammatories and round the clock pain relief. Just home now. The band has kind of become a minor issue! What a saga :o

Oh dear, Jessamy. What a terrible time you've had. Hope you're over the worst of it and can concentrate on your banding journey.

Hi all, I am a new bander from Dec 19. Surgery went fine, first night a bit rough and battled a bit with nausea and gas pain. Came home from hospital with a bit of a sore wrist and thought they must have accidentally let it bang something under anaesthetic. NOPE! Little did I know what was to come.

Two days later, slowly wandered into the shop to get one thing with my daughter. BAM, collapsed on the floor unconscious. Came to and some lovely people helped me get back on my feet and find my husband. Went home straight to bed with a still sore wrist. Woke up to find a long 15 cm glaring red stripe down my arm and felt terribly ill and in agony. Off to ER.

Taken straight through, given morphine, 1 hour excruciating ultrasound on arm and neck veins, cat scan with contrast etc and finally a diagnosis: Thrombophlebitis, similar to DVT, a clot in my arm from wrist to elbow. SOOO much pain! Apparently from the IV cannula.

4 days in hospital over Christmas, copious heparin injections, full on antibiotics, anti inflammatories and round the clock pain relief. Just home now. The band has kind of become a minor issue! What a saga :o

You poor thing get better soon :(

My appointment is the 15th Jan and I don't know even today I had some casserole mashed down with the stab mixer quite well and had trouble with that- I seem to have good restriction so I'm wondering if they had put something in the band when they banded me. I can eat smooth things quite well but still only small amounts ( or a lot smaller than I'm used to B) ), weetbix, baked beans mashed up so I'm really just having trouble with meat. :P