hurricanesky

Christmas Banders

I haven't done my shots, I don't want those pictures sitting there until I lose it all, I'll feel like crap looking at them all the time! Haha

But I'm the same, I know I should cos I'll regret it. Courage Sam courage!

First fill LMD was so easy, nerve racking when you eat first up but I'm looking forward to my second one next week, I think it's going to be an effective fill considering I know I'm not overeating now but I know that I could eat less. Hope you've had a smooth recovery and welcome back!

I saw my Dr on Friday & added another 1/2ml fill. I have a 11ml band & about 5.5ml fill now but i am really really struggling today & yesterday.

Yesterday i managed a cup of coffee in the morning & immediately i felt very tight (but i just thought it s because it is still morning & post fill). About 2pm was my first solid - well cruskits with tahini & sliced banana. Normally cruskits are my biggest weakness they are a real slider for me personally. I ate two (very slowly)no problem but truly struggled to eat the third one. At the time this really excited me as I though well with this is great I cannot physically eat more.

I wasn't hungry all day but at times did feel the choking feeling with my own saliva. I am always aware of sipping water throughout the day to avoid dehydration even this was an effort. Dinner was a bbq at about 7-8pm had mum over too. 

I thought it would be rough and was not confident at all for dinner. I wanted to test my band by eating just one grape & chewed & chewed & chewed. Yes it did go down but it felt like i ate a brick. It was taking forever & i felt it took even longer to digest. About half hour later dinner was on the table. I served myself smaller than what i'd usually do - 1xlamb cutlet, green beans, pumpkin & small corn cob.   It was a disaster forget any of the vegies they didn't come close. The lamb was so tender but would not go down & i cut the tiniest of pieces. Of course it got stuck & I had to get this out. I gave it about 15min returned to the table & thought i'd just try the vegetable ...... the same thing happened. 

This morning is a new day !!! I woke up extremely tight but thought a hot cuppa would help ... so far so good but i believe come Tuesday i will be making contact with my Dr to remove some fill as this is extreme & i am concerned about these stuck moments.

Mrs 46. Snap! I had an adjustment (my 2nd) on Thursday and have had exactly the same problems. And 5.5 total in band. Am wondering though if I've asked too much of it and tried to eat too-solid foods. The doctor reminded me to "go-easy" for the first day or two. Had mushy weet bix for first brekkie ..... All ok, but then attempted baked beans, scrambled egg, grilled fish over the last couple of days. None of which have gone down.

Read the pertinent chapters in prof o'brien's book and he advises gradual liquids to mushies to solids after adjustments to the band. Apparently the band can be quite tight in the days after adjustment.

And now that I've been PBIng, I reckon I've aggravated the band even further so it's back to liquids/very mushie stuff for me for at least 3 days...... What a drag!

Anyway, right or wrong, that's my take on it. But will certainly call the nurse on Tuesday to talk it through. Good luck to you too! Not a good feeling.

• Like 2

@Buddah how much was your fill increased by at your last adjustment?

Today again same thing at lunch time - once i settle i am in two minds about the whole thing. One moment i'm thinking am i over-reacting big deal i cannot eat meat but i'm not ravenous. On the other hand I am thinking this is not right at all I have been PBing too much and am slightly worried only because of this & the damage this may cause.

Either way i'll be caling Dr tomorrow for advise.

I've gone through the site (as I usually do) & found the following link now this really confuses me 8ml fill in a 10ml band. Whilst i am struggling with 5.5ml in a total of 11ml band. Is it a matter of having to get used to it ..... this is why i'm really confused.

Hi again mrs 46. I went from 5 to 5.5 on Thursday. After my discomfort and lack of food since then due to food being stuck, I started today with liquids, jelly, diet choc mousse then tonight attempted a very wet lentil and vegetable curry. I dutifully chewed the guts out of it and waited a minimum of 1 minute between mouthfuls and ..... Voila!! Think I'll stick with the same wet and easy type foods for next couple of days in case all the vomiting has inflamed the oesophagus...... Which hopefully will give it a chance to settle.

This will teach me to treat it with more respect in the first days after future adjustments.

Like you, I'll be calling the clinic in the morning to hear some words if wisdom.

Really hope you get things under control in next day or two. I know it can be distressing. Good that you say you don't feel all that hungry.... So don't stress!

• Like 1

can anyone tell me if they felt the same with their first fill as i have?

its a 15mL band, i had 3mL put in during the op and another 2ML put in on thursday, but i've nooticed very little. am i doing something wrong or should i request more fill?

@LMD I was the same with my 1st fill (no difference at all) I'd give it a few more days personally because this whole thing is personal trial & error.

I called my Dr's office today & had a chat & have decided to give it a few more days as I am noticing it ever so slightly better than how things were over the weekend.

The irony here is i read on many posts that post fill their Dr's recommend back to fluid & then work your way up to mushies then solids. My Dr strongly advises to keep right away from shakes & any fluid meal replacements & cannot stress how important it is for me to keep my solid meals & just take baby steps & chew chew chew. I'm guessing this means no meats for a little longer but i will try steamed veggies tonight & had my fair share of mixed nuts during the course of the day.

I have 4ml in a 10ml band I finding I can eat pretty well ,have had a few moments when food has gone down a bit rough .

I haven't vomited which I think is excellent means Im behaving and doing well  so far.

Next fill is 13th Feb. I do think I need it though

Lost 1.5kg since fill im so damn impatient ...I have to understand took me years to put this weight on so it wont be overnight to get it off

• Like 2

I had 1/2ml adjustment yesterday, and every first bite has been painful. I had tuna with spinach and tomato for lunch today and it took two mouthfuls and I was feeling the familiar stuck pain. So I was prepared at dinner for this and served up a quarter of a piece of salmon and a tiny serve of veggies, and again the second mouthful was stuck. I avoid letting it come back up when this happens, but dear god it can hurt. Having said that, I think I'm at a good level now, I have 4.5 in a 10 ml band and I honestly think everyone is different. My mum has had a max of 5.5 in hers, she now can't have anymore than 3.8 without struggling so I don't bother worrying about how much anyone else has, that's why they build it up gradually. So as hard as the last 24 hours has been, I feel like this is what it's supposed to be and I am probably just eating too fast. Back to basics from when I was scared of damaging something, and I find that once I do this, I calm down and can eat fine. Slowly is the key.

Back to gym tomorrow, so I'm super excited to incorporate some activity with even less food, I hopefully I can continue at the steady pace I'm going at now.

• Like 1

I have been having an easy run with the band and on the weekend I went to a farmers market and bought some lovely veg and fruit plus some baked goodies, well my weekly weigh in this morning showed this and the gain is 700gms for the week. Well I had hoped to crack the 30kgs loss today but onward and upward and a lesson learnt and back to basics. I still have quite good restriction (they didn't put any fill in at my checkup) but sitting watching dvds all afternoon just because the weather is stinking hot is no reason to think I'm hungry and I was drinking plenty of water, it all came down to some food choices and I've learnt a lesson here. Well done to all of you so far :)  :)

• Like 1

Chin up, Leanne. You are doing so well! You are honestly an inspiration to me.

• Like 1

Thankyou Mellygem, that's a lovely thing to say as we know this is all a learning and re-educating journey for us both :)  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi December banders!!

I haven't posted for ages but have been reading through all your posts today. Sounds like most of you went really well in surgery and are well on the way to a slimmer body. Well done!!

I was banded on December 9th in Melbourne by Prof O'Brien, had my first fill 4 weeks after, then another at 6 weeks and last monday was 8 weeks and no more saline yet. I have 5.5ml in a small band and am feeling quite tight. Sometimes when I drink water it sounds like the water being let out of a bath tub!! I have to remember to sip not gulp.

As of this week I have lost 12.9kg which I am really, really pleased with. I rarely get hungry but am having trouble with some meats and rice. Otherwise all is good with me . I hope to keep reading your news and adding my news in too. :) :)

• Like 1

That's great with how your going, I must admit I haven't eaten rice yet as I was sure if it swells up more in your stomach and the only beef I seem to be able to eat is mince but everything else is fine. Isn't it funny how the different Dr's do fills etc different to each other. Well done with everything :rolleyes:  :)

Wow LeanneJ, you are going along really, really well!! I see you haven't had an adjustment yet, did they put any saline in when you had your op? I find it interesting to see what other people have in their bands, although we are all different. My friend had lap banding the same day, dr, everthing as me and she has less in her band but is hungry alot of the time. I'm the opposite and only have 0.5ml more.Anyway well done :D :D

• Like 1

Thankyou, when I went for my checkup I forgot to ask but will next time but my sister in law had my surgeon 4 years ago and never had a fill and has had her apron remove etc so I'm presuming they must put some fill in at the time. The Dr I saw did say even 5 weeks after your still swollen there but it's definetly bizarre and so far I've been very lucky with it all but I do wonder if doing optifast for 8 weeks before hand had a hand in this :)  :)

• Like 1

I don't want to feel disheartened but my weight hasn't shifted at all :( only difference is I have this scar on my stomach which apparently seems to be there for no reason :'(

Are there any Christmas banders who are feeling the same?

• Like 2

Has your restriction altered at all and I see you've had a fill when is your next check-up? Are you eating smaller serves and drinking plenty of water? I feel for you as this is so disheartening but at least you haven't gained. Hopefully it gets sorted and you can smile easy :(

I have a friend who was banded the same day and dr, as I said before. We went out for tea last night and she ate a whole meal and mine got stuck after 3 mouthfuls and I ended up in the toilet bringing it up. I feel that she needs more fill and I am just right or a bit too tight. Perhaps I am not eating slowly enough  and chewing enough, not sure, but its quite difficult for me.

LMD, you may need alot more fill because your tummy doesn't have the fat around it that bigger people do. I understand your frustration though, it's natural to feel disappointed after going through a big ordeal. Will your surgeon add more fill soon?

Finally letting go ,went though my wardrobe today and the things that I normally would place in a storage crate that I have done many a times because I felt they where to good to throw away and what if I put my weight back on I may need them again ...well I finally got rid of them for good this time !!!

And the storage crate with the clothes ' well one day I may get into them  ' I have just put half of them back in my wardrobe so feeling pretty positive today

• Like 1

I don't want to feel disheartened but my weight hasn't shifted at all :( only difference is I have this scar on my stomach which apparently seems to be there for no reason :'(

Are there any Christmas banders who are feeling the same?

Yeah I feel exactly the same yet. I haven't been able to have a fill yet (booked in on Monday though, woohoo!) and I've lost only a kilo this year. I'm trying so hard and it's really disheartening like you said.

my intake has changed over ever so slightly but i know i could do with some more fill. seeing the surgeon in 3 weeks, hopefully i will have shifted a few kg by then - just want to be out of the naughty-nineties!

I know we're out of the shake stage but I found this very refreshing and great nutrients and thought it might help to move things along, measurements are approx as it was in a Pauls smoothie station advert and had custard in it so I changed it a bit to suit me -1 cup baby spinach leaves stems removed, 1 kiwi fruit peeled and quartered, 1 teaspoon lsa, 1/2 cup milk, 3 desertspoons natural yoghurt, 2 teasppoons honey, some ice and blend all together. I don't know the nutritional values but I started having 1 of these 2 days ago after putting on 700gms (eating to many goodies over this time to celebrate my 50th) and now I've lost 200gms this week not much but I'm heading in the right direction again.  This is filling and I know I haven't been eating enough vegetables so this helps :)

• Like 1