Sign in to follow this  
FatSara

Band Vs Sleeve

Hey All,

I'm new to this forums thing but need some advise / help from people that have been through the weight loss struggle. I have my first appointment with the surgen next week and he told me to do some research on what surgery i would prefer- Banding or Sleeve. I have been looking all over the net to find out which is better, USA seems to think Sleeve but most Aussie say Banding. At first i was thinking Band but i think that was because i didn't know alot about the sleeve now i have a good idea about both i am unsure. I am a good candidate for either type of surgery, the only thing that scares my is the risk of infection as i am very susceptible to infections. The other thing is i am losing the weight to be able to bare children in the future is there a preferance on that side of things? would really like to hear people opions.

Hi Sara, there are pros and cons for both surgeries ...and I'm sure you will get both opinions from folks on here. I have been banded, twice due to a slipped band, I can only say that I have been happy with my decision to have banding done....but if I were sleeved I am sure I also would be happy with that as well.

Any WLS is beneficial if you have a weight issue, there is nothing like feeling 'normal'.

Do a lot of research and make your own decision, I don't think you will be wrong with either op you go for.

• Like 1

Hi Sara,

I'm just like you. Very susceptible to infection and had the surgery to improve my chances on having children. 

I opted for the Sleeve for a few reasons.

I was originally going to have the band but my surgeon seemed more experienced at preforming the sleeve. Also even though the sleeve is a little more risky there is less after care. With the band you need to go in and have fills to get you to a zone where you cant fit as much in but it cant be too tight as it may stop you from eating altogether. The band is reversible whereas the sleeve is not. There's the thing with the sleeve where if you don't do as you are told meal wise etc. then you may stretch your tummy back to its original size.

Its a personal choice. One to think and research about but you have to do what you think is right for yourself.

Best of Luck!!

• Like 1

Hi Sara

Disclaimer - What I write below is purely based on my own personal experience and does not reflect what is typical of a lap band.

I was banded in August 2010 and on 7 November my band is being removed. There isn't anything technically wrong with my band, it's just been a bloody nuisance and I can't seem to find the right spot.

In 3 years I have had adjustments on average every 6-8 weeks. This involves a needle in the belly, into the port to either inject in or take out saline solution (fill). My band has either been too loose or too tight. I found the elusive green zone for a grand total of around 3 months in 3 years and the green zone is GREAT!! I eat small meals, I'm not interested in food, I eat when I'm hungry and the weight loss was almost effortless.

I went on a cruise and I had some fill taken out just in case I got sick (because you can't afford to get sick with the band - you can damage it, force a slip, you simply cannot vomit because the band is as effective at keeping the contents of your stomach IN as it is keeping food OUT). After I came back from the cruise, I got my band topped up, then topped up, then loosened, then tightened, then loosened, then tightened, then tightened, then loosed (I think you get the picture). I haven't been able to find the green zone again!

In addition to my numerous fills, I have a finicky band where one day I can eat a certain thing and the next day you'd think I was trying to swallow a side of beef!! It's very temperamental for me and has caused me more angst and trouble than I ever bargained for. Of course, I didn't have any major complications so I really don't have much to complain about, but for me my decision to change from band to sleeve is about quality of life...I just want to get on with my life and not be back and forth to the clinic every 6-8 weeks.

So my band is being removed and in 3 months time (on 27 February 2014 to be precise) I am having a sleeve gastrectomy. And I wish I'd been brave enough at the time and bothered to listen to my surgeon (who recommended it to me because I have metabolic issues) and did more research about it. I was also scared of the types of complications with the sleeve.

The sleeve will get you into the equivalent of the green zone right away. No further fills/adjustments, you won't have to worry about slipped bands, erosions, flipped ports...the complication rates are roughly the same with a sleeve than with a band these days.

Allergen (a major lap band manufacturer) has stopped making lap bands because people just aren't choosing that form of surgery as much these days - they lost tens of millions of dollars last year. Surgeons and patients are preferring the sleeve (or bypass) over the lap band because it is a set and forget procedure and research is starting to show that weight gain for lap banders is becoming quite a lot more prevalent that first thought. There are also a number of surgeons in Australia who are no longer implanting lap bands...there are many more whose main business these days is band removal and sleeve revisions.

On the other hand, there have been numerous successful banding stories, some horror stories and some stories much like mine.

No form of WLS is going to be the magic bullet, you will have to follow some strict rules and exercise to some extent. You will have to eat well and eat within the limits of whatever option you take. You can stretch a sleeve through overeating and you can choose to keep your band loose to enable you to eat more food.

I encourage you to do LOADS of research and this is a damned good place to start. there is also a secret gastric sleeve group on Facebook. If you would like to be added to that, please PM me your Facebook name and I can get you invited to it.

• Like 1

so far my lapband has been fine, my docotr tells me he does both ops in equal amounts, I have a number of sleeved and banded friends, both surgeries have their risks and pros, one friend is still recovering from sleeve surgery that had her needing more surgery and has been in hospital for over two weeks, one friend had a slipped band. the rest have had varying success, one sleever lost all his weight but has regained as much as any lapbander does, one lapbander did not lose much. I have sleeved and lapbanded friends who have had remarkable transformations and success so i guess everyone is different.  what I am curious about is do you need to work harder at weight loss if you are a lapband patient than a sleeved one?  Is the sleeve a  definite cert for a lot of weight loss because I notice not all lapband patients loose as much weight as they want to.   I am  open to having a sleeve in the future if I don't lose enough weight but only if it guarantees more weight loss than the band has helped me with.

I think in a lot if ways the sleeve is similar to the band in that you need to still watch what you pity in your mouth to ensure weight loss. As long as you are putting relatively healthy food in your mouth and not grazing all day but just having meals plus a few snacks then you should lose weight. Something i do notice with my sleeve is that even when i do start eating not do great foods because i ah restricted in the amount i can eat due to the capacity of my stomach that i just end up maintaining instead of losing whereas in the past i just used to eat enough to gain +++. You also have to make sure to stop when you feel full no matter what you eat

• Like 1

Hi Sara,

I was originally weighing up between the sleeve and banding, however my surgeon said he would only do banding, I'd need to see someone else if I wanted a sleeve. He felt the long term (+10 year) results were better with the band.

One of the things that decided me was the greater chance of 'dumping' after the sleeve. I went through a spell for about 10 years with irritable bowel syndrome. (It started out of the blue and apart from the occasional issue now, it stopped by itself.) Anyhow, I hate the cold sweats, the nausea, the cramps and the inevitable dumping. Reducing this possible and probably only occasional side effect played in my decision.

I'm not looking at the band as any more reversible than the sleeve, but it is less invasive with a shorter recovery time. The downside is the more intensive follow up.

So check out all the options, consider the potential side effects and go for it.

From what I have heard/read/learned over the last few years, a lap bander has to be more mindful of their diet than a sleeve.

A bandit can eat sliders, wash food through the band, etc or even just keep their band loose on purpose. Once you are sleeved, there is no 'holidays' or sliders (as with the band), your tummy can only hold what it can hold and that's it. Of course with any WLS, if you eat high calorie/fat/sugary foods then your weightloss will stall/stop or even reverse.

It doesn't matter which option you choose, this is very much a long term/life long commitment and every single day you have to be prepared to make the best, healthiest meal decisions because you will only be able to fit in around 1 cup per meal (give or take of course!)

From what I have heard/read/learned over the last few years, a lap bander has to be more mindful of their diet than a sleeve.

A bandit can eat sliders, wash food through the band, etc or even just keep their band loose on purpose. Once you are sleeved, there is no 'holidays' or sliders (as with the band), your tummy can only hold what it can hold and that's it. Of course with any WLS, if you eat high calorie/fat/sugary foods then your weightloss will stall/stop or even reverse.

It doesn't matter which option you choose, this is very much a long term/life long commitment and every single day you have to be prepared to make the best, healthiest meal decisions because you will only be able to fit in around 1 cup per meal (give or take of course!)

I agree with all of the above, but you're discounting the fact that you can stretch your stomach longterm with the sleeve, but with a lapband you can always adjust restriction (although you can develop a pouch above the band). The most important factor is changing your diet longterm otherwise no WLS will work long term (including bypass). As I've said many times, I failed with the lapband and suspect I would have also failed with the sleeve. It's only now 13 years later that I've been able to clean up my diet (and underlying emotionally issues) permenantly (hopefully) that I have lost all my excess weight.

I see a psychologist every 6-8 weeks to deal with emotional eating. I don't need a dietician because I know the difference between healthy food and unhealthy food. I still feel a little weird about admitting I see a psychologist, but honestly it really has helped me.

I was also worrying about band vs sleeve. I am 27 and hope to have kids in the next few years etc, also I want the flexibility to have less fluid during certain times of my life etc. I still need to work hard and its still a diet on the band, I'm just sticking to it more than not. Also, I hated my band about 2 months, I just needed to learn how to live with it. It was trial and error and once I learned how to work with the band, its easier.

I was also scared of the complications of the sleeve. I won't rule it out though for the future. I think if I ever have a band issue that requires surgery to fix, I'd  likely just opt to switch to the sleeve.

• Like 2

Great post KeepStrong2012, never feel weird about admitting to seeing a psychologist, its just like seeing a doctor, we go when we have an issue that we need medical/psychological help with.  I've seen psychologists on and off all my life, finally found one I'm happy with and hopefully will be able to help me with emotional eating as I really want to give the band a proper go.

I just had my first appt with the doctor today and got to admit I still find the idea of a sleeve very scary so will try the band as hopefully my first and last surgical option.  But like everyone says its purely personal and something you should have a big talk to your doctor about long term effects of both.  The thing I liked about the band is its reversable, if it doesn't work you can always take it out.

The band is not necessarily reversable, as there can be complications such as erosion of the stomach. I dont think I've ever heard of anyone just getting the band out for no reason (though I'm sure someone would have done that somewhere). Normally people only get the band out if they have complications or persistent side effects (such as severe reflux), and even then they will likely try another band or switch to the sleeve.

I am surprised to see videos on utube of sleeved people being banded after having a sleeve!!! the same with bypass patients doing the same. So obviously the sleeve can either be very successful or not, same for all weight loss surgery I guess. I just wish it was all easier than it is, I thought that this would be the problem solver for me but it is as they say, just a tool

yes you can stretch a sleeved stomach and yes you can dilate your oesophagus with a band and develop a pouch through over eating.

I reckon there wouldn't be a WLS recipient in the world who hasn't at one stage resented or hated their WLS. For me, and most people I know, the resentment or attitude towards receiving WLS goes in cycles, I go through a period of loving it then I go through a period of hating it and resenting it...and then there are the periods in between. I know this now and recognise the cycles for what they are - temporary attitude changes - and I go with them. When I am in the negative head space, I just try to focus on the positives, eating properly, not punishing myself but trying to keep to the good habits. When I'm in the positive headspace, I make the most of it and try to maximise on it as much as possible. But when I'm down, I keep reminding myself that this is only temporary!

The time between good times and bad times vary, as does the time within those good times and bad times.

Thank god I have a great psychologist to help me! I'm so not embarrassed or shy about saying I see one, I've been seeing her for so long it's more like catching up with a friend these days! cheaper than I night out on the tiles too :)

• Like 1