tess

New & feeling nervous!

Hi All,

Well it's my first post and I am 1 week pre surgery for my band ( with Dr Taylor at the SAN).  Unfortunately the first forum i clicked on was banders having them removed and I panicked - eek! Now extra nervous, now especially about reflux and choking etc.I understand the band isn't for everyone though, originally I wanted a sleeve but Dr said no as I have had a fundoplacation in the past.

I am excited about being banded but definitely looking for some advice on getting through the first few weeks.  Just to make it even easier on myself :) I'm a secret bander with only my husband and best friend in he know.

Any advice is appreciated.

• Like 2

Don't stress about horror stories! There are some legitimate issues with the band but you will find that those that have trouble are the first to post on the net and most who have surgery go on their merry way and like you are secret banders so they don't tell a soul when all is working well! I am three months banded and yes I've had some stuck moments, one fill was too tight but they are all just learning curves and I am learning to love my band as it teaches me portion control and most importantly feeling full. Your surgeon will know what they are talking about in regards to when you can eat mushy food and solids - don't ignore them - they are the experts and have seen it all before. Be kind to yourself, allow yourself to rest when you need it, your body will need it. Take each day by day and gradually you will become stronger. It took me three-four weeks to feel my normal self. Don't be afraid, it just causes more stress on your body - you will come out the other side and wonder what all the fuss was about :) good luck!

• Like 2

I think it is important to be patient too. The weight will come off, but it can take a while to reach the optimal fill in the band and hit the green zone. It took me nearly a year maybe more to reach the green......but I live a fair way away from the surgeon so we went pretty slowly. I am also a secret bander so the slow approach meant the weight loss was not so dramatic in the eyes of workmates etc.

It's the best thing I have ever done for myself, love my band.

All the best.

Hi Tess,

Good luck with ur band :D . Whats the date of ur surgery? I am booked in with Dr Taylor for my initial consultation on the 28 November 2013 and cant wait to have surgery. How was Dr Taylor when you met with him? Also I would love to hear how you find surgery and recovery at the SAN.

Look forward to hearing from you!!!

Em

• Like 1

Just to make you feel better...

I am approaching my 1 year banding anniversary. I have gone from 108kg to 74kg. I am fitter, healthier, and most importantly, HAPPIER. Clothes fit me better, my sex life has improved, people treat me better (sad but true), and I enjoy food much more now because I look for quality over quantity.

Deep breath. You can do this.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for responding, I really appreciate it.  

Em I had my first appt with Dr Taylor on Oct 15 and am having surgery Nov 14. The psychologist did mention he books people in quite quickly.  I think the main reason is it's obvious he runs an excellent clinic and knows what he's talking about, definitely not pushy, actually his staring position was I could turn it around myself ( my BMI is a bit over 33).  He's very personable and chatty.Bit of a cool dude for a Dr!  His whole team has been awesome, very linked in to the whole approach each asking about your goals etc and how you think you might handle situations.  The girls on reception are even lovely!  I was a little apprehensive first going in but they make you feel welcome.

I'm hoping the SAN is too, previous experience there has been good and the clinic say they're great.

BTW Leanne love your tag line

Hi Tess,

Thanks for your response. Not long now until ur big day! It must be really exciting.

Did Dr Taylor say how long u will need to be in hospital post op?

You also mentioned u have already consulted with the Psychologist from the Oclinic. What was the purpose of this consult?

Thanks Tess

hi Em,

We'll it's been 4 days since procedure and today is definitely my best day. I was in overnight and the San were amazing. I could not have gotten better care. Dr Taylor is an excellent surgeon & comes to visit you that evening bringing pictures for you of the procedure. Part of the pre care is you must see dietician & psych prior to surgery. All the help you with coping post procedure.

Good luck!