bigtom

Mushie week questions

Hey guys, I start mushies on Thursday and CANNOT wait (I'm sick of soup and smoothies!).

Can i incorporate really soft/overcooked pasta and rice?

With thinks like meat, can I incorporate that in small/well chewed pieces?

Any other tips/advice/recipe ideas?

• Like 1

Meat I definitely wouldn't unless it was slow cooked in a stew to the point of being moosh. Rice gets stuck for me every time so its something I mostly avoid now. The mushies stage is more for things like scrambled eggs, mashed potato etc but if you find you can't eat those things I would talk to your surgeon before starting on the solid foods when you should still be on mushies.

I definitely wouldn't be having rice or pasta during the mushie stage unless you blended it a little to make it mushie. Same for meat. You could probably have some fine mince though, if you blended it a little.

I had roast lamb with gravy, chicken with a sauce, but it was all put through the blender to make it into mashed potato consistency! I even had the taco mince blended, the key is to mix some form of liquid with them to make it sloppy!

• Like 1

I blended pasta when I was on mushies it was awful and gluggy so no good. I did blend marinated chicken with mash potato which was yummy. Also mince with potato and gravy blended. My blender had a work out for 3 weeks.

• Like 3

On the mushy stage I mostly stuck to shakes, and liquidy things during the day and I just blended up whatever I was cooking for the fiancee for dinner. So I used my little magic bullet to pulp things like lamb casserole, which had lots of sauce to make it really mushy.

I wouldn't recommend eating anything that is "formed" during this stage, it's supposed to be just a little more consistency than liquid to see how you go.

You might be able to do mushy tuna or other fish in a mornay sauce? I was eating a little bit of lasagne during mushy stage and chewy REALLY well, or blending/mashing baked beans

I was on mushies the day I left hospital (the day after banding)

Because I then had to travel interstate, I was eating anything that was remotely mushy 1 week post op.

Sloppy pasta and sauce (chewed well), meat pie filling, yoghurts, cup a soup, and instant porridge all went down without pain or problems.

• Like 1

I was on mushies the day I left hospital (the day after banding)

Because I then had to travel interstate, I was eating anything that was remotely mushy 1 week post op.

Sloppy pasta and sauce (chewed well), meat pie filling, yoghurts, cup a soup, and instant porridge all went down without pain or problems.

was there any reason they asked you to do that or where you able to