tishtish

Kale Chips

KALE CHIPS

1 bunch of kale (200g)

1 tbs olive oil

Salt

Whatever herbs/spices you like. I use pepper and paprika, but you could use rosemary, chilli flakes, curry ... whatever you like.

Preheat oven to 180c and put a sheet of baking paper on 2 large trays.

Rip the leaves off the stalks of the kale and discard the stalks. Put into a very large bowl. Mix the olive oil and herbs/spices together then add to kale a little at a time, tossing very well each time. (Recipes I've looked up online say to use 2tbs olive oil but 1tbs is plenty as long as you add gradually and toss well.)

Arrange kale on baking trays and spread out into a single layer. Put in oven for 5-7 minutes then turn kale and switch trays around. Put back into oven for a further 5-7 minutes. (Depending on your oven.)

Remove from oven and salt to taste.

Now, a bunch of kale, including stems is around 80 calories. I forgot to weigh the leaves alone but with the stems gone the calories would be negligible. I think of things like kale and spinach as 'free' calories as there's so few. A tablespoon (20ml) of olive oil is around 150 calories. That's 150 calories from GOOD fat. These 'chips' store well in a sealed container. I have these when I just seriously cannot be bothered cooking. (I don't snack, so these are a meal for me ... as unimaginative and unbalanced as they are.) The above quantity is enough for 2 meals for me. (They're surprisingly filling.) Obviously it's a very very low calorie meal but I usually have it with an olive ciabbata or low calorie homemade soup or have it on a night when I feel like a bit of a sweet treat after dinner. (Usually banana, nuts and honey on a rice cake or rusk toast.) Also, they feel really naughty to eat as they go down just like potato chips. I don't put too much salt and instead go heavy on the pepper ... but I'm obsessed with pepper.

If you tend to snack, these would be a good choice I suppose as even if you manage to eat the whole lot you'll only be doing 160-170 calories damage.

• Like 4

Maybe I messed them up or bought an 'off' bag but I tried to make these yesterday and... just.. no. lol so bitter! although I didn't use actual olive oil, just the spray oil as that's what the recipe I had said to use.. I'll try it again next week

My walk buddy's husband decided to "get healthy" so asked for her to cook him some kale as he decided he needed to try this superfood. She made him the Kickstart soup and completely forgot to add it to the soup. Didn't want to 'fess up so she said nothing. As he hadn't actually tried the stuff he ate the soup and said it was very nice and you could hardly taste the kale at all.

She told him she would put in extra in the next pot!

• Like 3

I tried using kale instead of spinach in a quiche once and it was a total failure. I think maybe I used too much.

im not a huge fan of eating these dark leafy greens do I hide them in stirfrys and quiches. Im going to give these kale chips a go.

I've been subbing kale for spinach as well but I use much less because it doesn't wilt down to nothing like spinach does, it tends to hold it's shape and stays quite firm. I've been putting it in this frittata type thing I make. I call it a SpanTish Frittolette ... lol

I fry up some red onion, red capsicum, kale and mushrooms in a little olive oil. Whilst that's cooking I mix together egg, ricotta, peas, mint and salt'n'pepper, then by the time that's done, the onions etc are done. I add the onion mix to the egg mix and combine it well then pour it all back into the frypan and cook it over low heat 'til the bottom is done, then pop the whole thing under a hot grill to cook the top through. It's pretty damn good.

• Like 2

I've been subbing kale for spinach as well but I use much less because it doesn't wilt down to nothing like spinach does, it tends to hold it's shape and stays quite firm. I've been putting it in this frittata type thing I make. I call it a SpanTish Frittolette ...lol.

yess thats what went wrong. I put extra in thinking it would wilt right down like spinach. It didnt

• Like 1

Thanks tishtish I so love Kale and will give this a try. 

I also make fry it for a bit with what ever else I have in the fridge or add it to stir fry's and it is still crispy when I have it these days. I used to cook it the way I was brought up in Germany which has a lot of smoked meat and potatoes in it, I will still eat that if someone cooks it for me a it is so tasty.

Kale is such a good and healthy vegetable which we should eat a lot more of or make drinks with it in juicers or in the nutribullet which I have to give a try next time I go to my parents they have some nice drinks in their book which also includes kale.

• Like 1

I made the chips, but put in a bit too much pepper. Because I was eating them, my fox terrier enjoyed them too.

• Like 2

Made these today as Kale was only $2.99 at Aldi yesterday and it was so fresh....I used smoked paprika, salt, pepper and some chilli powder and gosh are they yummy but they fill me up so quickly could only eat a few of them.

I will make them again for myself and for special occasions.

Thanks Tishtish for putting the recipe on here.  :)

• Like 1

These did not work out for me! Maybe not enough oil? The Kale ended up way to dry and it sounded like I was eating dry leaves ahaha

• Like 1

Hi Natasha7000, 

I also had to use extra oil and make sure that you spread them out in a single layer on the oven trays. I found when I did a whole bunch I needed to do 4 trays all up and I switched the trays over when I turned the kale over.You might even have to leave them in the oven longer and keep an eye on them.

After they cooled down I put them in an airtight container.

Good luck I hope that this might help you a bit.

Cheers

Libby

Thanks Libby, I still have some Kale left so I shall try again. I didn't put them in a single layer either so that was most probably a contributing factor to my oily mess.