Sign in to follow this  
skeeter

Minimizer Ring for Sleeve

Hi NickyP... I haven't had any issues with the minimiser band that I know of. I eat very small portions still but my surgeon said he sleeved me quite tightly, so I don't think that has anything to do with the band. I have lost my excess weight and am quite happy with my surgery :) 

From what I can gather there isnt much data on them as yet. However I did find articals about them being used with the bypass. They seem to be more productive if fitted at the initial  bypass surgery, than if fitted later at a revision because the person has streached thier pouch. So many people are putting on weight a few years down the track I think the surgoens are looking for ways to inprove long term outcomes.

They do look like a blue cable tie. My surgeon said  they are only adhaered with 1 stich and just sit there loosly so if you are eating alot they will help prevent streaching. They are not firm around your stomach normally like a band.

As I said eariler. I cant find any reaserch for use of the mimimiser ring with a sleeve but there are 5 year studies for use with the bypass. Yes we probably are being used as studies for staticial purposes. But that doesnt mean its an  inherently evil thing.

Yes the jury is still out.

With all I read on forums about revisions GERD esophagal cancer slips eriosions gallstones and I know not what.

Minimiser ring or no mimimiser ring.  I'd keep your private health insurance up. 

• Like 1

From what I can gather there isnt much data on them as yet. However I did find articals about them being used with the bypass. They seem to be more productive if fitted at the initial  bypass surgery, than if fitted later at a revision because the person has streached thier pouch. So many people are putting on weight a few years down the track I think the surgoens are looking for ways to inprove long term outcomes.

They do look like a blue cable tie. My surgeon said  they are only adhaered with 1 stich and just sit there loosly so if you are eating alot they will help prevent streaching. They are not firm around your stomach normally like a band.

As I said eariler. I cant find any reaserch for use of the mimimiser ring with a sleeve but there are 5 year studies for use with the bypass. Yes we probably are being used as studies for staticial purposes. But that doesnt mean its an  inherently evil thing.

Yes the jury is still out.

With all I read on forums about revisions GERD esophagal cancer slips eriosions gallstones and I know not what.

Minimiser ring or no mimimiser ring.  I'd keep your private health insurance up. 

I had a post opp appointment this week and asked the surgeon about the  minimiser ring. 

*No data for sleevers as yet

* 2 Year data will be comming out at the end of this year, from him and a couple of surgeons in WA.

*The ring sits in the middle section of the stomace. Its just there to get a feeling of being fuller .

*May cause more reflux. but in most cases thats easily managed with meds.

That was about all the additional info I got as I had a couple of personal questions as well and he has other patients waiting..

I have another appt on October. I will ask generally what sort to things they will be measuring in the study. But I didnt think to ask about it at the time.

Some links that may be intresting.

Hi all. I though I would add an update to this thread even though it is old. I am having my minimiser removed in  early aug 2017 due to pouching. I have had symptoms of mild acid, occasional nausea and some vomiting with meat. Had to have a very expensive scan. The food is sitting at the top of the pouch for days (yuk). It seems like they are not fairing well for sleevers. However I think they are no problems with the bypass.

Hi all. I though I would add an update to this thread even though it is old. I am having my minimiser removed in  early aug 2017 due to pouching. I have had symptoms of mild acid, occasional nausea and some vomiting with meat. Had to have a very expensive scan. The food is sitting at the top of the pouch for days (yuk). It seems like they are not fairing well for sleevers. However I think they are no problems with the bypass.

Wow!  I am sorry that you have had problems and am having to undergo another op :( 

I've been so lucky  with my gastric sleeve and MiniMizer, I've had no problems.  I was sleeved 2nd Feb 2015, so nearly 2 1/2 years ago. Interestingly my "sleeve sista" didn't have a MiniMizer but has been plagued by issues with reflux and small intake.

I have lost more than 100% of my excess weight, and I am very happy with the way I look now as compared to before.  I have small intake, e.g. can't get through an entree sized meal when out.

I wonder if the MiniMizer ring is being used much recently?  None of the posts from recent sleevers mention it.

Can only wish you all the best,

x.