tishtish

How's Everyone Going in the Heatwave ?

Day 4 of our heatwave in Melbourne and I'm doing very surprisingly well. Usually, a 'heatwave' for me is more than one day over 25 degrees. That's usually enough to have me laying on the couch moaning that death is immiment. I've been fluffing around doing a bit of housework, a bit of washing ... even going outside to the clothesline, in this heat, and enjoying the sun on my shoulders. Sure ... I'm sweating like a beast but I don't feel sick, and I don't feel faint with palpitations. One evening (usually the worst time of the day for me on a 'hot' day), I went out and did hard gardening, last night I went for a walk to the beach, and tonight, again, another walk to the beach.

I'm not sure if it's all the weight I've lost, or the fact that I'm fitter than I've ever been in my life, but something is working for me to make these hot days so much more bearable. I no longer fear summer.

How's everyone else doing ? For those of you who've already started to lose weight, are you finding it easier to cope with the heat ?

• Like 6

We here over in Perth are not having the heat wave like you eastern staters ... But I do ok in the heat now not that I really did bad before ... I remember when I was a youngster growing up we just did not have the luxury of air conditioning like we do today so that is the thing that I mostly think has softened me ... To the point that When I go overseas to the humid countries of Asia I find that my fingers swell and I'm very lethargic even now that I have lost my weight .. Thank god we now have air-conditioned houses and drive in air cond cars to our air cond workplaces ...

• Like 1

I don't have aircon ... in my house nor my car  :(  so considering that ... I'm doing pretty good.

• Like 4

I'm still at home post op so i am doing the bear minimum especially in this heat. I miss work only because of this heat & humidity in Sydney.

I am finding it a littler tougher than usual as at least when I'm at work the body does get a chance to cool off. We only have ceiling fans in the bedrooms so not a great night sleep at all. Saturday they're predicting 24Cel Yipee !!

• Like 2

Haven't lost much weight yet, and not so hot here, but I am hoping when I have lost weight I will not be so sensitive to the heat. I sweat so much, even on cool days - especially my face and neck. I have no air in my car and at home either...

• Like 1

Before banding I would sweat so much on my face and neck, especially after a shower, that wearing makeup was impossible.

Now after banding and losing 30 kg it is not a problem. I can't tell you how good that feels.

• Like 3

losing 34kg has certainly helped me cope with this horrible heat!! But nevertheless, i've still bee parked under the airconditioner for the last fews days. I'm so looking forward to Saturday when we should get something a little cooler. The nights are the worst!

• Like 3

I still sweat a lot, especially my face, but it takes a lot more before I break a sweat these days.

• Like 1

We've been warm in Adelaide but I've found that when I've gone out for lunch, I'm not that hot and not really sweating. Except for yesterday when it was apparently 46C, I went to a cafe and their air con was struggling, felt a bit warm while I was having my cappuccino but it wasn't unbearable :-)

I like this getting skinny thing, the heat definitely hasn't affected me like it usually did :-)

In saying that, my exercise has ground to a halt, apart from when I walk home from the bus stop. Usually I'll go for a walk at night when the sun's gone down but tis week, I've been asleep by that time. But will be 28 tomorrow so I can get back into it then :-D

• Like 2

I rather like the heat but over the fryers its awful. We always have a sea breeze at night so all you need is a ceiling fan and even then we often end up turning that off. I don't think losing 60+kg has made much diffrerence to my overall sense of comfort.

• Like 1

My body is coping soooo much better without all the weight, i have a heat rash that i get in bad heat, in Bali a little over 3 years ago it was at its worst and it rose up both legs, it starts at the ankles and slowly rises. I haven't had it here in the caravan park!! Although we do have aircon in the caravan, but i'm outside a lot!! :-)

• Like 2

I'm coping a lot better since losing 20+kg than I ever had in the heat... and considering that I wear the head scarf as well I think I'm doing pretty good!

Mind you, when it's hot I live in the air con.... at work, in the car, at home  :P  But I don't avoid going out just because it's hot like I used to. 

• Like 3

I'm in Melbourne and am still struggling with the heat the same at 76kg as I did at 110kg, which is disappointing. The only thing that has made is more bearable is the fact I don't feel like I need to cover my fat self up. I'm happy to wear singlets in public, short shorts etc, where as previously I'd still wear cardigans in Summer to hide all of my rolls!

• Like 1

I lived in Perth for 20+ years, so I am fairly used to surviving these heatwaves. This week I have been out of town, but I came home yesterday to the 44 degree day in Melbourne. I had drawn all the blinds in our apartment closed before we left, and we are heading to NZ tomorrow morning, so we've only been in it for 2 days. But the trick is definitely in the air con. We have one unit in our apartment, and if you sleep with the doors open, the air makes it's way to the room enough to make it comfortable. Loads of water, icy drinks and lots of frozen mangoes! Even had a weiss bar today as a treat. So glad I haven't been here all week though!

We had some 44 days over the Xmas break and the days no seem to be much cooler. During the break one afternoon while out for a ride I remember saying I could cook a chicken on the handle bars of the bike.

• Like 1