missy_belle

Interesting Video - Losing Weight (Low Carb)

I found this youtube video on a lecture about losing weight. It's quite interesting. It advocates a primal (ie natural foods) low carb diet which I know many people will not like the sound of. But anyway, I found it interesting so am just posting a link to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tPkRJ3W_Q

There was an interesting comment that I'd not thought about before. Everyone always says dieting lowers your metabolism but this guy also says that exercising a lot can also do this. This intuitively makes sense to me, as your body would try to lower metabolism to conserve energy to prevent you from dying. It's interesting because I've never thought about this possibility before. But he doesn't really quantify by how much this may occur and I've heard others saying any up or down regulation of metabolism is very small.

Also another reminder that my artificial sweetener addiction is not healthy. I've recently started working on cutting back but it's going to be tough to break this bad habit entirely.

• Like 3

I don't have time to watch the vid now but I'll definitely watch it later on. Just wanted to chip in my 2 cents worth and say from the research I've been doing that excessive exercise is a form of stress on your body and stress makes your body release more cortisol, and cortisol is the 'fat' hormone ... in particular, it's the hormone that makes you hold your weight/fat around your middle. I've cut back my time at the gym and I'm finding it's working for me. I'm more relaxed, I have more energy and enjoy my time at the gym more. Plus, it has kick started my weight loss again after a plateau. I'm an obsessive person so for me, more hours at the gym equals better results ... that's what my obsessive nature tells me anyway but it's just not the case. It's been difficult for me to cut my hours and be a little more moderate because it makes me feel like I'm taking the easy way out. I know my obsessive nature is working for me with this weight loss bizzo but I also need to learn to not go overboard and wear myself out.

Re. the low carbs thing ... unless you're talking about cutting back on ALL carbs (I'm talking carbs from fruit and veges here), then I'm a fan. Since being banded I have very little of the, what I like to call, useless carbs. (Bread, pasta, rice, starchy veges.) If I feel like something 'carby' I'll have quinoa or porridge these days. I do still ocassionally have bread or wraps, and I don't mind a very little bit of polenta, cous cous or cracked wheat ... but it's only a couple of times a week max ... not the several times a day I used to have them. I just don't need them. To me, they're empty calories with very little real nutrition. If I want the fibre I'll get it from porridge or fruit and veges. If I want that full feeling I'll get it from protein.

• Like 3

I'd have to agree, excessive exercise is bad and not fun : )

Both my surgeon and dietitian told me not to diet with the band but just eat the normal healthy foods and exercise.

Works well for me and ha, ha, yes I know Tim Tams aren't healthy by the tray.

Just returned from an 80klm ride.

See you on the highway.

i agree about cutting back some carbs like bread, pasta etc, and sugar. A low carb diet is the only thing that helps me lose weight. but i couldnt cut them out completely.

i agree about cutting back some carbs like bread, pasta etc, and sugar. A low carb diet is the only thing that helps me lose weight. but i couldnt cut them out completely.

It's not that hard once you're use to it...like today I had thai stir fry (no rice) and chicken satay...home made no bake cheese cake (basically cream, cream cheese and sweetener), scrambled eggs with spinach and mushrooms and snacked on macadamia nuts...I'll add back carbs at some point. I'm just experimenting again, as last time I went keto (basically no carbs) I didn't gain any weight despite just eating whatever and as much as I wanted (obviously no carb foods). So it's nice to have a break from always counting calories in my head all day every day and being constantly worried if I eat the wrong thing and/or too much I will start gaining weight.

• Like 1

Finally found time to watch the video and have to say, it really makes sense. Thanks !

• Like 1