Katjack14

March 2014

Hi everyone, 

I have just got my date and I am getting my band 4th March. I am going though Prof Wendy Brown who is so nice. She wants me to lose 5-10kg pre operation but is happy for me not to do optfast as i have other health issues now to sort my super out.

• Like 5

wishing you all the best, what a big adventure.....I have my appt with Dr Kevin Dolan on 10th Feb, I haven't told anyone yet.....have you told your family and do they support you?

• Like 1

I am getting sleeved on 5 March - it's going to be a big week for both of us! :D

I have my lapband by Dr Dolan on the 7th. 5 weeks today :) I'm getting super excited and have my dietitian appointment on the 21st. I don't know yet if I have to do optifast, I'm assuming the dietitian will tell me because Dr Dolan never mentioned it, but I do have a fatty liver so I'm guessing I will definitely be on it.

i am busy getting ready, just went and got same new pj and some comfy pants to wear post op, I have to return part time two weeks post op. But work are being really good. 

I have my lapband by Dr Dolan on the 7th. 5 weeks today :) I'm getting super excited and have my dietitian appointment on the 21st. I don't know yet if I have to do optifast, I'm assuming the dietitian will tell me because Dr Dolan never mentioned it, but I do have a fatty liver so I'm guessing I will definitely be on it.

Dr Dolan did my band and he never mentioned optifast to me either.  It was his dietician that told me all about the optifast phase and what I could and couldn't eat.  The first 3 days of it are the worst, after that its not too bad.  Even now 4 months post op I still have some opti products as meals.

• Like 3

Im booked for March 14th with Dr D'Onofrio at Calvary North Adelaide.

All paid for, and have 2 weeks left of freedom until i need to start Optifast

• Like 2

Just got all my paper work and posted off my super paper work to the act hoping for a fast turn around

I'm on the 11th of March with Dr Wright in Newcastle :-)

A little apprehensive of the opti phase and what I'm going to feed hubby for that two weeks!!

Good luck with getting your super Katjack14 - I hope its quick and easy for you!

• Like 1

So i don't know if this is a good thing or not but since founding out my date, my head gone into over spin. Sitting at a meeting today the  thought that I have so much to do at work. Work is really supportive but I need to start to slow down.

Hey Jellybelly, I'm being banded the same day as you. I'm the 11th as well. I'm going to Knox Private with Dr Zeiv Duieb. I managed to lose 5kg since December as Dr Duieb asked I lose between 5-7kg before he would book me in. Doesn't look like I have to do optifast for the 2 weeks prior to surgery now as I did so well with my weight loss. He did ask I of course maintain my weight loss and to see if I can lose another 2kg before surgery.

I am very excited but have to contain it as I have only told a few people. Exciting times ahead....

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I had my appointment today with Prof. Paul O'Brien and have a surgery date for 24 March 2014 at The Avenue Hospital.  I'm accessing my superannuation to do this.

I'm a bit confronted by the 40 page questionnaire and all the paperwork (send stuff to Health Department, send stuff to super fund, get GP to sight identification documents to verify I'm me, hospital admission forms) but I'll get through it I suppose.

I'm a bit nervous and a bit excited. My main worries are the first few days after banding, as well as how I will go about cooking for my partner and son when I can eat hardly anything.

I don't have to do OptiFast and it wasn't mentioned.

Only my partner and one friend know I'm doing this and I haven't yet worked out why I don't want anyone to know.  Maybe I'll tell people at some stage in the future but for now, I want it to be a secret.

I look forward to this forum being a place of support.

Cheers,

L.

• Like 2

Welcome lillypilly, just done all my super and should have a answer by this Friday. We are going to the same clinic and I am going in on 4th march

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I haven't got my date confirmed yet (seeing the surgeon on Monday - eeek!), but it's likely to be a mid-March banding for me - right around my birthday :)  The GP said I would need to do two weeks of Optifast which I don't have a problem with, I had to do the same thing when I had my gall bladder out a few years ago.. so i know I'm going to be feeling pretty crap for a few days while I get used to no sugar etc. lol :)

I'm with Dr Bessell at Wakefield Hospital in Adelaide :)

• Like 1

Hi Ladies, welcome :-)

Lillypilly I hope everything goes well with your super application. All the paperwork is very daunting but its better to send absolutely everything you think they'll need instead of missing something. My application ended up being 53 pages to DHS (it took FOREVER to fax haha).

You're at a bit of advantage having done pre-op Optifast before Miss Lil! I'm a little worried about that phase - I don't really eat during the day at work but come night time I more than make up for it :-( 

Good luck with your appointment! 

• Like 1

I'm booked in on the 3rd March with Dr Ian Baxter.  My doctor only told me to Optifast for 1 week before surgery, not 2.  Why do  you think that would be?

Hi everyone,

I had my appointment today with Prof. Paul O'Brien and have a surgery date for 24 March 2014 at The Avenue Hospital.  I'm accessing my superannuation to do this.

I'm a bit confronted by the 40 page questionnaire and all the paperwork (send stuff to Health Department, send stuff to super fund, get GP to sight identification documents to verify I'm me, hospital admission forms) but I'll get through it I suppose.

I'm a bit nervous and a bit excited. My main worries are the first few days after banding, as well as how I will go about cooking for my partner and son when I can eat hardly anything.

I don't have to do OptiFast and it wasn't mentioned.

Only my partner and one friend know I'm doing this and I haven't yet worked out why I don't want anyone to know.  Maybe I'll tell people at some stage in the future but for now, I want it to be a secret.

I look forward to this forum being a place of support.

Cheers,

L.

Hey Lilly Pilly.  Your Doctor doing the Lap band should supply you with the paperwork for your Super.  He should give you a letter as well as the signed paperwork.  I also got a letter and signed paperwork from my GP.  Make sure you get your 100 points of identification.  I also contacted my super fund to organise  the paperwork so it was here at home when the government approved the early release of super funds letter arrived.

You would be best to go on Optifast a week before surgery.  It's apparently not about weight loss, its about removing fat from your liver before the surgery. 

I am getting sleeved on 5 March - it's going to be a big week for both of us! :D

Hey Kazbo.  I was just wondering why you had your band removed??? I hope it goes well for you x

Hey Lilly Pilly.  Your Doctor doing the Lap band should supply you with the paperwork for your Super.  He should give you a letter as well as the signed paperwork.  I also got a letter and signed paperwork from my GP.  Make sure you get your 100 points of identification.  I also contacted my super fund to organise  the paperwork so it was here at home when the government approved the early release of super funds letter arrived.

You would be best to go on Optifast a week before surgery.  It's apparently not about weight loss, its about removing fat from your liver before the surgery. 

Hi Audacious, he did give me all the paperwork, it was just a lot to complete, including the GP verification stuff (more running around), the hospital admission form and the 40 page questionnaire. I think it was all just a bit much in one go but I'm ready to post everything off today.

I won't go on OptiFast as he didn't mention it and given it's Professor Paul O'Brien, I figure he would know whether to tell me to go on it or not.  My LFTs were fine, with no evidence of fatty liver disease. So I don't want to do anything I'm not told to do but if he had told me, that's what I'd be doing :)

Good luck with your procedure!

Hi everyone.

Looks like there are quite a few of us getting banded or sleeved in March...

Hopefully we can all support each other and in no time at all we will all be healthier and much slimmer...

I'm very excited for my future banded life.... roll on 11th march for me.

• Like 2

Hi everyone

At this stage I am getting my band on the 25th of March.

I can't say I am feeling excited, more apprehensive I guess as i feel a failure for having to resort to this. As well the cost is quite a lot higher than others have paid and that annoys me.

I really hope I can be a success at this and it will change my health and life dramatically. I am aware I have to put in all the hard work and just wish I could do that without the help of the band.

Hopefully us March bander's can support each other through the hard times and celebrate each others losses.

Hi Ladies, welcome :-)

Lillypilly I hope everything goes well with your super application. All the paperwork is very daunting but its better to send absolutely everything you think they'll need instead of missing something. My application ended up being 53 pages to DHS (it took FOREVER to fax haha).

You're at a bit of advantage having done pre-op Optifast before Miss Lil! I'm a little worried about that phase - I don't really eat during the day at work but come night time I more than make up for it :-( 

Good luck with your appointment! 

Hi Jellybelly!

I'm not sure if it's much of an advantage, the first few days were the hardest - all I wanted was bread! :)  One little thing that helped me through was making my own version of jelly snakes using diet jelly - mix it up as normal, but add in an extra 1-2 tablespoons of gelatine and pour it in a wide, flat dish.  Once it's set, turn it up on a chopping board and cut into "snakes".  Lifesaver :)  (You'd have to check with your surgeon/dietician though and see if they say it's okay)

Fingers crossed for Monday, I'm going to start Optifast on Monday so if there's a surgery cancellation before my date, maybe Dr. Bessell can slot me in earlier :)

I just posted off all my stuff to DHS Early Super Release thingybob.

OMG I think I'm really doing this :o

• Like 1