I don't think a lapband should be seen as a temporary thing, either WLS has its pros and cons, I know people who have failed with bands and some fat again after a sleeve. I have read heaps on people going from band to sleeve and people who had sleeve and were banded on top of that or even those who had Bypass. All have one thing in common, they want a fix to food addiction. This is why over the last year Ive come to realise that what ever WLS you have, its a tool, one you have to work with and the biggest thing Ive come to realise is that I'm an addict where some foods are concerned and for as long as I'm alive I will be fighting my addiction and dealing with weight issues. I'm over friends who keep giving me details of the latest greatest weight loss pills, in the end they are losing weight because they are restricting calories and the band or sleeve just help you to do that. I think the sooner people come to some kind of peace with that fact the sooner they accept that WLS is no cure all, its a tool like any other and you have to work with what tools you have to get a good outcome. Sometimes weight loss wont happen over night, sometimes you will hate it but the reality is there is not much else you can do other than try to stay on top of your weight issues.

• Like 5

I would do so in a heartbeat.

My 2 cents on the on the whole 'band' is permanent WLS, yes, it is, but the amount of fill can be modified. That is the underlying difference between band and other WLS. Once a sleeve is performed you cannot re-attach your stomach or with a bypass undo the bypass performed. That is the fundamental difference and the clincher for me, I know the band is permanent, however the level of restriction is not, which is beneficial if you have circumstances in your life which requires you to change your eating habits (i.e. pregnancy/serious illness).

• Like 2

That's exactly why I love my band BackInBlack. When I went overseas for 8 weeks I had a bit of fill out which made travelling a much more fun experience (I didn't have to put anywhere near as much effort into finding places to eat). I still had enough fill to stop me going nuts and gaining weight, but then when I came back and had the fill put back in my weight immediately started dropping again.

I also like that when I reach my goal I can experiment with having less fill in the hope of one day having a healthy relationship with food :)

• Like 3

way I see it is that both the band and the sleeve are a tool, Ive seen success and failure in both,  I have recently heard of people having a Lapband put over a sleeve or bypass so there you go. In my case the band is a great tool, when ever I think of going stupid its there to remind me of what I really don't want to go back to

• Like 2

Yes and happy with my choice of the band!

All forms of WLS require YOU to change YOUR lifestyle to be successful.

All forms of WLS are basically tools to help YOU achieve your outcome and like any tool, they can't work properly if you don't use them properly.

If anyone considering WLS believes it is a silver bullet and you are suddenly transformed into a trim and fit person without any effort on your part, you are kidding yourself.

• Like 12

That's exactly why I love my band BackInBlack. When I went overseas for 8 weeks I had a bit of fill out which made travelling a much more fun experience (I didn't have to put anywhere near as much effort into finding places to eat). I still had enough fill to stop me going nuts and gaining weight, but then when I came back and had the fill put back in my weight immediately started dropping again.

I also like that when I reach my goal I can experiment with having less fill in the hope of one day having a healthy relationship with food :)

• Like 1

My surgery date is 26 June - BandedJules post resonates with me.

Everyone's situation and reasons vary and I support those who choose other methods of weight loss or surgery options - but for me risk played a huge part in my decision making - lap band is the safest WLS

Thanks everyone for your candid feed back

LOVED reading all these comments so inspiring. Now I am super excited. Get banded in Sept. Well done to everyone who has been thru it and all the best for the future. Thanks for sharing your deepest thoughts on here for us nervous one.

• Like 1

Absolutely........ after yo-yoing weight issues for over 40 years this was the best decision I ever made and I needed to go through all the crap to understand how to learn the discipline of using the band as a tool..... yes we all still have to work at it but we couldn't achieve the results without the assistance of the band or we wouldn't have gone through with it.............

No question in my mind, even now while I wait to see what happens next as I have just been confirmed of my band slipping after 4 years banded and going from 206kgs to 99kgs.......

Absobloodylutely........

• Like 7

Yes! In a heartbeat! Without a single doubt I would do it all over again! I wouldn't be where I am today without it

I think I would have got the sleve. Not saying I regret my band and if I couldn't have got the sleve I would still have gotten a band I just miss certain foods and throwing up all the time is not fun.

Reading these responses makes me both excited and nervous, I am due to be banded on the 7th of July which is coming up very quickly. I just hope I am making the right decision for my health, having a sleeve seems somewhat more painful and permanent. So it's possibly best to go with the band first?

Even for those of you who have stated that you wouldn't do it again it appears that most of you have been successful in losing the weight still?

Not sure if that makes it all worth it though

Hi Sasha,

Just curious as to how you went with the band? or did you change your mind? Im currently deciding which is the best option for me. Hope all went well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Love this topic....any other opinions on which is a better option....nervous about the non reversible side but also the thought of pb'ing and having food stuck makes me cringe!

• Like 2

Hi there Time to Shine,

At this stage I'm 8 weeks post op and have lost 15kg, I KNOW I would never have been able to do this without the weight loss surgery as I have never lost so much weight in the past before. And I have tried just about every weight loss diet, shake, pill, exercise you can name. (Like just about everyone else on here )

So for me, at this stage I can honestly say I have absolutely no regrets. I went into having this procedure with my eyes wide open knowing every possible adverse outcome of having the lap band.

Yes I have had a few painful stuck moments but honestly every time that has occurred it has been my fault. If you follow the 8 simple rules by professor o brien he talks about everything you should do to prevent food from getting stuck and making the band work with you.

All the best with your decision, message me anytime if you have any further questions :)

• Like 6

Hiya sasha

It sounds like you are doing really well, congrats. I've been super busy lately but am really glad to have read this post about you and your progress. Well done girl x

• Like 3

Hi there Time to Shine,

At this stage I'm 8 weeks post op and have lost 15kg, I KNOW I would never have been able to do this without the weight loss surgery as I have never lost so much weight in the past before. And I have tried just about every weight loss diet, shake, pill, exercise you can name. (Like just about everyone else on here )

So for me, at this stage I can honestly say I have absolutely no regrets. I went into having this procedure with my eyes wide open knowing every possible adverse outcome of having the lap band.

Yes I have had a few painful stuck moments but honestly every time that has occurred it has been my fault. If you follow the 8 simple rules by professor o brien he talks about everything you should do to prevent food from getting stuck and making the band work with you.

All the best with your decision, message me anytime if you have any further questions :)

Thanks for your response Shasha :) What amazing results you should be so proud!

Can i ask a personal questions (please feel free to ignore me if im out of line) do you think your downfall before WLS was food choices or volume of food? Have your tastes changed at all? I have alot of weight to lose (60kg) and i see my journey as lifelong which is why now part of me is questioning why i dont go with the sleeve as my fills will be a 2 hour round trip each time & also the cost associated with the appointments.

• Like 1

I think it was a bit of both, the amount of food I was eating was excessive but more so it was the choices I made. Too much processed junk food. It's funny though since I've had the band the sugar cravings have gone which is fantastic.

I used to crave lollies, icecream but most of all chocolate. That has changed now. And to think about how much I used to eat shocks me.

The sleeve would be easier as far as follow up appointments for you. However I live out in the country too and my follow up fill appts is a 4 hour round trip, but in my mind it's worth everything because I want this weight to be gone. And now that I have lost so much I don't want it to stop now.

I think Kazbo who is a member on this website would be the best person to talk about getting a sleeve as she initially had a band then changed to a gastric sleeve.

Yes the band causes scarring but it is reversible as far the ability to return to eating normally again as you did before you had the surgery, with the sleeve you can never go back.

The choice is ultimately yours, I wish you all the best with whatever decision you make. I look forward to hearing how it all works out for you :) please don't hesitate to ask me any more questions I'm always happy to answer anything

• Like 4

Absolutely Yes! I was banded 26 June and my experience has been fantastic. I am going in for my 3rd fill tomorrow. I have lost 10kgs and while some people may be disappointed with that I am delighted. I have had no side effects at all and I can eat anything I want in moderation. I love food, I eat out a lot and I cook. My dietician has also helped me with my approach. Diet is a nasty word, everything in moderation, portion control and being healthy. I didn't sign up for a quick fix I had the surgery to change my life and lifestyle. I now sit at 98 and had planned on getting to 80. I might even re-visit my goal when I get to 85 kg. With only a 10kg loss I look so so much better. I am not bloated from over eating. For anyone thinking about lap band everyone has their own journey but remember in 2014 it is not about restriction. It s a tool to assist your hunger and satiety. If vomit, gag and get stuck your band is tooooo tight or you are eating tooooo quickly or tooooo much. Long winded response. Yes absolutely!!

• Like 4