Sign in to follow this  
Specialized29er

Why is it so, no shoulder pain

Just reading another post about ways to decrease the amount of shoulder pain and I'm one of the lucky buggers who had zero shoulder pain.

Does anyone know why some get the pain and others don't, the only thing I can think of is that my surgeon has a way of removing all the gas which leaves none to escape through the shoulder.

Same here, zero shoulder tip pain :)

It seems we are the lucky ones!

I also never had shoulder pain or any type of pain from the gas. But my friend was banded by the same surgeon not long before me and I remember that she had shoulder tip pain. 

I never had any shoulder tip pain post surgery, but in the early days if I'd eaten too much I'd get a pain in my left shoulder, which I found was odd. I still get it occasionally now, I'm not sure if I'm better at not eating too much or if it just decreased over time.

I never had shoulder tip pain either. I do get a lot of gas, especially in the morning - when I feel like my cpap has filled me with air...

I had the worst shoulder pain, the first thing I said in recovery was "my shoulder is so sore", they did say it was normal but obviously only for some, on the first day it was more painful than the incisions. It slowly went away I still have it a bit on day 6 but I would say by day 4 it really lessened. I'm very envious of the no shoulder pain patients!!!

None for me neither .. Mind you I think I blew all my gas out my butt starting in hospital the day i was banded....My hubby still recons I blow way to much now..

Today I have some shoulder pain :wacko:  but its from chopping a trailer load of hardwood timber. I recently bought a 50 year old pot belly stove that we are going to use this winter.

I too have suffered with shoulder tip pain. I honestly think the position of the band itself can irritate the vagus nerve hence the referred shoulder tip pain. I find I get it when I have either eaten too much, or let myself become too hungry. Certain foods such as popcorn also seem to irritate it as well! For me, getting up and moving around seems to be the best remedy :)

I had severe shoulder tip pain for weeks tried heat packs and panadol, nothing helped and 2yrs on I still get shoulder pain when I eat too much.

Count yourself lucky! Banded twice and had shoulder pain 10 weeks post op both times. Still get it maybe once every 6 weeks or so.