bandedbrittany

Any Tasmanians out there!?

Hi I was banded by Dr P. as we'll back in Feb 2013, 20 kg down about 15 to go, I'm doing it slowly but I'm getting there.

• Like 2

Hi, I'm seeing Dr P next month for my first consultation yay, can anyone tell me how long it's takes after the first consultation till actually having surgery thanks

Hi I'm being banded on Monday in Launceston.

• Like 1

Hi KelB, welcome. I hope that everything is going well for you so far. I love this forum as everyone is so helpful, lots of information and advice. I was banded on the 24th of March and just had my first fill (since surgery) last week. I now have 4.5mL in band and so far so good.

Hi Rlar. Thanks and yes I agree...a very informative and encouraging site. I am doing well so far, but a bit sick of fluids already. It's a bit of shock to the system! lol Best wishes with the next phase (first fill). I hope it goes smoothly for you!

I'm off to make the Curried Sweet Potato Soup..... ;)

• Like 1

Hi everyone, thought id pop in and say hello.  Im from Hobart, was banded by dr wilkinson on the 27th March 2014, had my first fill last wednesday - 3ml in.  lost about 7kg since surgery but wishing the dr would have put more fill in cause it still feels like there is nothing there (here is a link to my first question here regarding this if anyone has any wisdom for me lol)

• Like 1

Littlewish, responded to your question in the other thread, not sure if it will offer much insight though. I had fill added at surgery (3ml) and have since had a 1.5ml fill. My weight loss is a lot slower after the band than it was before, but since this fill it has picked up a bit more. I'm around 20kg down on my initial appointment with the surgeon at the end of January so even though I've slowed down I'm still pretty happy.

• Like 1

Hi 

I'm up in the North East. Have my first appointment on thursday with Dr P, excited and anxious all at the same time  :lol:

Good luck, the mixed feelings are normal. Oh and p as in pat or Pande?

Dr Pat.

Congrats on your weight loss so far! 20kg is great.

Thought it would probably be Dr Pat. I was banded by Pande. I'm so happy with how things are going and weigh less now, than I ever have with dieting in the past. Yep it's slow but it is a journey that is worth it. I've stopped updating my timer so often as I don't trust my scales at home (though they have been behaving themselves better lately) and give out false readings from time to time.

I saw that you were done in Launceston? I am hoping that being done in L'ton is an option as it's a 3 1/2 drive to Hobart but only 1 hour to L'ton.  Yeah 20kgs down would be the lowest i've weighed in at least 9-10 years, I lost quite a lot by myself last year but have piled it back on this year which is what has prompted me to finally take the plunge. A good friend was banded 7years ago and her transformation was incredible - she has just had a full body lift and boob job and looks amazing.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that dr pat operates in L'ton, (I didn't hear/read this until after I was booked in). I also have a feeling that he might operate in Burnie too. You also need to think about follow ups for fills etc, (I just make an appointment when it's convenient for me) but if you go with an out of towner you have to wait for them to be back in the area (monthly?) or go to them - I'm not trying to put you off (or suggesting you change surgeons) just pointing out something I never thought about until the other day when it was pointed out to me by a bandit that was done by an out of towner.

Hi all, I'm new to the site, lapband in 2002 (definitely a veteran!) by Dr Wilkinson in Hobart, after a very long journey of learning to listen to my body I have eventually reached my goal in the last five years and maintained my weight. Started at 141kg on day of surgery and now 61kg. Also had a few corrective surgeries to remove excess skin over the last few years. Best decision I have ever made and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hello Noodles, congratulations on your journey. It is so inspirational to hear the stories of others and witness their success. I'm very happy with my decision to be banded and although I'm relatively new to the journey (3 months on Monday) am already wondering what took me so long to do this. Hubby is being banded on Friday.

I'm pretty sure that dr pat operates in L'ton, (I didn't hear/read this until after I was booked in). I also have a feeling that he might operate in Burnie too. You also need to think about follow ups for fills etc, (I just make an appointment when it's convenient for me) but if you go with an out of towner you have to wait for them to be back in the area (monthly?) or go to them - I'm not trying to put you off (or suggesting you change surgeons) just pointing out something I never thought about until the other day when it was pointed out to me by a bandit that was done by an out of towner.

Dr Pat only operates in Hobart but he is in Launceston every second Friday to do fills so thats not too bad. 

I was hoping to have my surgery booked in by now but my husband may be about to transfer from Tas to WA so everything is on hold right now  :unsure:

Minxyprudence, I hope that things go well for you and your family and that you're able to get back on track soon (whether it is in Tassie or WA).

Hi to all from Tassie!  I was banded by Dr Pat in ?October 2012, and have reached my goal a few months ago, losing 55 kgs.  Unfortunately, we had to come back to North Qld to live about 12 months ago, and I miss Tassie so much.  It is so, so hot here.  It is supposed to be winter, and people are getting around in trackie daks and ugg boots, and it is about 25 degrees! Dr Pat was really, really great I thought, and it was much cheaper to have a lap band down in Tasmania than up here in North Qld.  When I got mine done, I was out of pocket by $1,700 all up - that included my health insurance excess of $250, the anaesthesist, the difference between what I got back from Medicare and BUPA for Dr Tony, and the device itself.  I have heard people up here have quotes of $10,000!! out of pocket.  Anyway, good luck to you all, especially the ones just starting.  Believe me, you will get there.  When I got banded, I could not believe I would ever lose so much weight, I thought I would be lucky to lose 10 kg or so, but I just put my head down and my b** up, followed all the doctors rules, and kilo by kilo, I got there.  And so will you. 

Congratulations on reaching your goal jan. I moved down here just before Christmas so it is my first winter here. I've been told by the locals that it is quite mild and winter is later than usual. I have to be honest and say that yes it has been cold lately (but I have a lovely wood fire) but not necessarily colder than where I grew up, nor colder than at my mum's place or my sister's and they live in NSW.

So many people have asked me why move to Tassie, simple answer, I just love it. The green, green grass, the clean air, the platypus that lives in my creek, you know everything.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I am off to have my band on Monday morning! Excited and nervous! I would like to lose about 25 kg. I am a short person, and weigh 87 kgs. Any other Mums out there? How did you go with lifting your little ones afterwards? I am from Launceston and am seeing Dr.P in Hobart :)

• Like 2