bandedbrittany

Any Tasmanians out there!?

Let us know how you go

• Like 1

Home sweet home! Every thing went really well, had a hiatus hernia repair as well. I have a lot of terrible upper chest pain, but sight pain is all good. Burping a LOT! I have. 14 cm band, apparently that is mostly what Dr P is fitting now, less long term complications. First fill on 22/8. So my post op diet is one week straw food, one week purée, and then mush for one week. Not hungry at all, but I know that will change. Over this chest pain though! Exercise helps a little :)

• Like 1

Banded on Monday 28th by Dr P in Hobart. Now 5th day post op. Liquid stage sux but I'm sticking to it. Driving home to Launceston today now that the weather has settled. Can't wait for the mushy stage!😊

• Like 1

Hey all, i'm hoping to get banding done early next year in Launnie. Probably will go with Dr. pande as he has done hernia surgery for my hubby and we are super happy with him. I just was hoping to find out do people know if he does the surgery in the LGH or one of the private hospitals, or is there an option of either?  Also I have Bupa health cover, does anyone have experience with this and was it good or bad?

In addition I really hope this surgery will get me on my way. I figured out that I need to loose 2/3 of my body weight to get within the "normal range". My goal is to loose 1/3 of my body weight will at least put me in overweight range... Start small aim big i guess!

Hi Raven, you can double check with your PHI provider what they will cover (Dr Pande's item numbers reflect those used by medicare). Dr Pande gives a quote detailing costs of surgery. Sounds like you have a plan, half of your excess weight is definitely a good place to start.

AJL I hope you have a good recovery.

Good luck both of you, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Thanks yea i have just got my GP referral and i've arranged to meet with Dr. Pande in November. I spoke with my PHI and he is a preferred doctor through them (BUPA) and i asked his receptionist about the costs for BUPA people and sounds good.

Looking forward to it!

Hey fellow Tasmanians. I'm new here, not real sure how to use the site yet. I'm almost two years post op. Dr Wilkinson was my surgeon. Started at 115kg, now hovering at 85 :) have had little fluid in my band for about6 mmonths, going on Friday for a fill to get some more solid wieghtloss happening. Another 10 kg and I will be very happy! Congrats to you all for your accomplishments! Glad I found this site, much needed support for someone who has little support from those around me.

• Like 1

Happy to say i'm now being banded on Feb 23rd :) Excited! Bupa is doing the paying and Dr. Pande is my doctor.

I'm starting at about 157kg so my initial goal is to hit 100kg!  :)

Hi Fellow Tasmanians. I have my op in Hobart on Tuesday with Dr Wilkinson. Would love to keep in contact with local Tasmanians and share our experiences.

My starting weight is 120kg. My first big goal is 99kg. I can't remember the last time I was under 100kg. :)

• Like 2

Hi Jules! Im considering surgery in June with Dr Pat. Goodluck!

I would also like to be in the double digits, not sure when the last time I was either!

• Like 2

Thanks Lyse.....let us know what you decide. This site has definitely helped me. Everyone has been fantastic. If you have any questions this is the place to ask. :)

I haven't had the best support from family apart from my husband and father, so I'm going through the whole "should I? Shouldn't I?", its very frustrating, so at the moment I am 90% sure I want it done, just dealing with the other 10% of what ifs etc!!

I love this site, so much great information and the before and after pics are amaaaaaazing! .

• Like 1

Its a great site :) I don't think you'll regret it if you go for it, I'm new only been at it for a month, but I'm loving it.

• Like 1

This site definitely helped me make up my mind. I also have a lot of people in my life who don't understand or show support. My husband has been wonderful, but I have chosen not to say anything to anyone else until they can see the positive change for themselves. It is my life and I would like to start living it for me.

My big day tomorrow.....nerves and excitement

• Like 2

Oh fantastic good luck! Im pretty sure I will get it done, im looking forward to being slim

• Like 2

Well I'm officially a bandit. I had my operation yesterday morning at the Hobart Private. All the Dr's and nursing staff were absolutely fantastic. I didn't get any sleep last night due to alarms and unfamiliar noises, so I am very tired. Other than that a bit tender around wounds and gas pain but feel good and burping like a trooper ;)

• Like 3

Fantastic! Can you notice the band at? Have you eaten?

• Like 2

No can't notice band. I had water, juice and clear broth yesterday. Today have had water, juice and optifast. On liquid diet for a few weeks now.

• Like 2

had my band yesterday home today still got gas pains but my hot pack is helping really happy with my treatment at HPH all the nurses etc were awesome managed to have 2 warm cups of milo and a optifast shake for dinner a long journey ahead

• Like 3

Oh Id be pretty happy with warm milo!

Sounds great, all the best! I will be interested in seeing how you both go, I think the first couple of weeks would be the worst for me...

• Like 2

yea struggled abit today i think i got some pain relief caught and i tryed some yoghart which didn't go down well i'm sipping on v8 juice so far so good still got gas pain i find lying on side helps but so does walking around feel so useless done a load of washing cant even hang it out lol house is a mess but my partner is doing his best :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I didn't notice the band until my first fill. At surgery they put 3ml in , but when i got 2 more ml in last week i started to notice i can't eat nearly as much (i'm still on  mushie food until next wednesday) Its good and i've started to accept going to sleep with hunger and tummy growling lol. But energy has been fine.

• Like 1

so day 8 today still on liquids had my first appoitment with dr w he said another 8 days on liquids then i can move onto puree/soft foods can't wait lol and i have lost 5kgs so happy so my goal is to work hard as for the next 3 weeks thats when i go back for my first fill  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

Hi Manda, hang in there. Keep up with the pain meds and move around heaps. I am 9 days post op and was uncomfortable for 3 days, then was back to work running around on day 6 with no more pain. The pain shouldn't last for long.

Who did your op? Hobart?

• Like 2