Popsicals

Don't need optifast pre-op?!!

Hi

I went for my consult with the dietician and I don't need to do optifast at all. Just given the types of 'quality' foods to eat and the number of portions. So, am happy with this, but have not seen anyone else who does not do the optifast. Has anyone else not done optifast prior?

Thanks Pops x

I didn't have to do optifast as I was considered a bit of a banding lightweight at 107kgs and 167 cm.

He will have assessed the liver margins and abdominal adipose content during the examination before deciding opti was not necessary. It isn't that uncommon.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I negotiated with the surgeon to swap the opti-fast with green vegetable juice and that was OK. I started out my WL with them in the early days but they did not agree with me at all and I did try a range of brands. I did also have to stop the raw garlic and ginger a week beforehand because they can make your blood thin out. Then they gave me blood thinners post-op that left me bruised for two months???

Thanks everyone. Seems some people do and some dont - still not sure how to go about it ......

Iv just worked out a diet plan from Monday and the protein would add up to between 50-60 a day. I am doing breakfast, lunch, dinner and for the snack I'm going to make a protein drink the dietician mentioned to me for post op. Basically cup of skimmed milk - add 1 serving of skimmed milk powder and add fruit, milo, coffee - whatever suits? I'm going to add fruit and barley and flaxseeds to thicken it up and give more protein and get call my grain serves for a day. Ops 4 weeks today, so may do more of these homemade drinks nearer the time just in case.

Another question please - TMI but what helps with going to the loo - what have you used???? Sorry, I just do not want to be constipated - its soooo painful!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Pops xxx

I worked put your bmi at 31 .. I have an app on my phone..

Prune juice,

Beni fiber . I lived on that stuff amazing !

Are you a phi patient

Yeah private health. I will buy some prune juice and the dietician had said benefibre. Having done Tony Ferguson a few years ago and adding his fibre to the drinks, I got really ill so would prefer to go with the natural stuff - feel a bit apprehensive about using it, but may try it I've ethe next week or so and see how I get on with it. The one i used was TF brand so obviously it will be different. Thanks Pops xxx

I didn't have to do it. The dietician wasn't happy because I'm dairy intolerant and still tried to talk me into it. I wasn't impressed with some of her advice. It was very mainstream and outdated considering the rest of the clinic appeared to be keeping up with current research. After being reminded numerous times that I was intolerant, she was still suggesting I drink milk for calcium. Anyway, she attempted to get the surgeon onside and he immediately said I don't need to do Optifast. He had his nurse call me and suggest protein at each meal with veggies or salad. And eggs if I felt like it.

He said at my weight (97kg then and around your height), I really didn't need Optifast anyway.

• Like 1

I didn't have to do it either, actually they told me to definitely not do it just make sure I had a protein rich diet the week before so I ate a lot of steak (apparently that's hard to eat afterwards so I made the most of it lol)

I've still healed quite quickly without the Optifast beforehand but did make sure I followed directions and made sure I had a fair amount of protein after the op and the mini multivitamin helped with energy levels.

The dietitian at Dr Dolan's I've actually found really good, she gave some really good advice beforehand and armed with some really good info for afterwards.  I think some others have found her not so helpful but I have no complaints whatsoever her advice has all been spot on for me and she gave me her email address in case I have any questions which is great.

• Like 1

I didn't have to do it either, actually they told me to definitely not do it just make sure I had a protein rich diet the week before so I ate a lot of steak (apparently that's hard to eat afterwards so I made the most of it lol)

I've still healed quite quickly without the Optifast beforehand but did make sure I followed directions and made sure I had a fair amount of protein after the op and the mini multivitamin helped with energy levels.

The dietitian at Dr Dolan's I've actually found really good, she gave some really good advice beforehand and armed with some really good info for afterwards.  I think some others have found her not so helpful but I have no complaints whatsoever her advice has all been spot on for me and she gave me her email address in case I have any questions which is great.

My ops on Friday so I have bought the optifast (as not really been following any diet) and I am going to have them for the next 4 days with a vegetable stir fry in the evening for Dinner. Hoping this helps the liver and also gets me used to the smaller portions. I'm taking the chewy vitamin tablet suggested by Jess and extra vit D as I'm low in that! Thought I'd pop a few colloxyl and senna to soften things in the bowel so I can get that all sorted by then too (TMI) - just worried the restriction this week may affect the bowels so dealing with the problem before it arrives! :-)

I too found Jess very informative. Had no problems at all with her and she also said to me that I could email her. Am feeling very nervous as the date approaches. Did you have the band? How are you finding things? I'm so scared of failing - I'm committed but it been committed to diets over the years and done well but yo yo dieting!!! I am praying that this HUGE step will help me continue with loss and keep it off for good!

Pops x

• Like 1

I had the band as well.  Just do what you're told and you won't have any problems.

The biggest tip I was given was eat slowly and chew chew chew chew chew.... put your fork down between bites and don't pick it up until you've chewed the last mouthful thoroughly.   To date I have not PB'd (productive burped - vomit) I have overeaten and maybe ate a little too quick so eat before you're really hungry.  It was painful for a while but did subside.

You can't fail if you do all the right things!

• Like 3

I am totally jealous of all of you who didn't have to do Optifast!!

It's all how you look at it. I didn't have to do Optifast (this was 14 years ago). But I think if I had done Opti I would have been much better prepared mentally for eating very little post surgery.

• Like 2

I didn't love doing it at first, but now that I reflect back on it, I'm glad I had to do the opti phase because it certainly helped when it came to not eating much post surgery.

• Like 1