MayLace

Alcohol post banding

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering when ppl started drinking again, and if they had any difficulties?

• Like 1

Also interested in knowing this as I have a wedding to attend shortly.

Thanks eggzsy! I'll be 2 weeks post banding Friday and have an event Saturday that I'd like to have a couple of drinks at.

I asked my surgeons nurse today and she said 1 drink max, but I don't see the harm as long as it's fairly low calorie/low bubbles and I've stopped my pain meds about 12 days ago by Sat

Hi guys also wondering I'm only 20( and love to party) but was wondering if your still able to do shots after getting the band, i wont be drinking every weekend or that just occasionally for birthdays ect.

Thanks the only reason i asked is because i have my 21st coming up. Thought one day out of a year would be ok but if it is going to effect the band i will not drink. Not wasting money for one night

• Like 2

All I can say is I'm a cheap drunk and I don't even get fully through a vodka and lemonade and I'm feeling a bit tipsy .... Shots should not be a problem not that I would know . I'm old school and did not grow up with people having shots... Just be very careful as to much alcohol will stop your weight loss big time, especially wine and champers as they are high in calories ... Just have fun drink easy and as Eggzy said .. just do lots of dancing ...

• Like 1

Bubbly drinks make me feel quite bloated and icky these days and I find I can't drink like I used to. One or two drinks is plenty for me and if I have more I end up quite drunk quite fast. I'm a cheap drunk now ... lol.

• Like 2

Was told to steer clear of bubbles.... but can easily manage wine! :P  Aren't shots straight down - and 30 - 50 mls ? Don't know if that would be too much at one time? You'd have to check... or drink "shot" in two shots maybe?!!  LOL! Enjoy xxx

• Like 1

I went out on the weekend.  I am about 3 weeks post op and I had 2 Bailey's and milk............it tasted like heaven :-)

One glass of wine and I'm absolutely hammered these days.

• Like 1

I have never been a drinker but now I struggle with keeping bubbly drinks down. I can have maybe a glass or bottle then I've had enough.

I can drink tequila and orange juice.

I am having banding surgery in June - wine is my weakness - I am fully prepared to cut it completely for 4 weeks (pre and post) but after that I hope to be able enjoy social drinking on the weekends - I am also keen to decrease my intake long term but are there any drinkers out there who can find balance it with the band? 

I'm only 8days post banding, so haven't faced this challenge yet. However, for what it's worth, I used to drink a (fairly inexpensive) white wine, actually suggested by weight watchers. It's made by Lindemans, and is in their Early Harvest range. I drank the Sem. Sav. Blanc and it's recommended by WW because it has half the calories and also half the alcohol of regular white wine. I grew accustomed to its lighter flavour, and saving calories is always a plus ! Retails for about $18/ bottle, but as it's a screw cap, you can have a little glass each night I guess, and stretch it out over a week easily.

• Like 2

I have absolutely no dramas with drinking wine (including bubbles!) although I have found that I no longer like the taste of full strength wine and much prefer the low alcohol/calorie wine

• Like 2

Hi peeps,

This topic has been bumped as I need some opinions on drinking, post band.

Am currently away on a holiday, and have been having two or three drinks per night, some fruit cocktails, some wine, but never more than three drinks. Mind you, since banding, I too am a cheap drunk and three drinks is on the way to being tiddled for me now!

My query however, is in relationship to how people feel their band & it's "tightness" alters after a few drinks, even into the next day ??

After my couple of drinks, I found on one day in particular, the next day I could barely eat & everything was getting stuck. Is it possible do you think, that having alcohol causes fluid retention, hence band feels tighter?? Or are there any other explanations?

Please, no lectures on 'empty calories' blah blah, as I said, am on holidays, so this isn't my normal M.O.

I am tea total for liver reasons, but I think that moderation would be the key and a bit of trial and error to see what works for you. Booze does create fluid retention so that may be an issue for some. When on hols I think a bit of release is good for you as your normal practices will kick in on your return, just need to be ready for the emotional kick if any weight gain. Everyone is different.

I've always been a cheap drunk anyway, because I drink so infrequently these days.

If you can get 30-50ml of water down in one hit, there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't do shots.

However, young ones, I wouldn't be drinking so much that causes you to vomit - I'd be avoiding any kind of vomiting at all costs, ever, if you can help it.

I'm also a cheap drunk, for the same reason - I rarely drink. I have a half glass of bubbly wine, or wine, and I get a buzz. I leave it at that.

Now that I have had surgery I can drink anything but I need to remember there is not as much food buffering the alcohol so I need to be a little careful. I also need to be mindful of the calories it I still love my bubbles and wine.

Bubbles? Fizzy?  :wacko: 

Hmm ok, I just have to ask! I'm all for a bit of flexibility with the meal plans and life as a bandit, but I have read over and over NO bubbles and NO fizzy drinks. Speaking as a former lemon lime and bitters addict lol and sugar free Kirks club lemon (mmmm) drinker, I have found it difficult to go without, however I have done it. Even not having Spring water at cafes has been a challenge.

I have seen a few bandits talk about Coke or Diet Coke for stuck moments to propel out the problem so PBing occurs, but it seems so many new bandits are still drinking bubbles. 

My warnings came from fellow bandits, nurses, surgeon and my dietician. Stories of flipping ports, never ending gas, cramping and awful reflex were just some of the ailments blamed on drinking fizzies post surgery.

Is there something I am missing or did the "rules" change?

I too thought that i wasn't to have any bubbles or fizz- so re-clarified it with my surgeon... he said that "low bubbles" were better... like spring water drinks and tonic / soda water rather than the pepsi max / coke type - (which you can drink fast to make you pb apparently!)

If others are drunk, it was suggested to me not too many, too often and stir them around to let them go flatter, then drink in sips not gulps!!

Ahhhhh- the first G &T was lovely!! and now I can have white wine and soda... or a lemon, lime and bitters if driving   :D

• Like 1

I think each surgeon has different rules on this one... I was told none for the first 12 months and then only in moderation after that but I know others banded at the same time were told it was fine to start drinking fizzy a month or two afterwards.

I've chosen not to as I was pretty addicted before, I've been able to give up that at least (just not the chocolate or carbs)

• Like 2

I'm ok with fizzies, but if they're fresh, I let them sit a while or stir them to release some of the gas.