Sign in to follow this  
ganotrill

will I be able to get a lapband

Hi,
first post, I am so pleased to have found this forum, what a wealth of information! Thanks to all of you who have posted their experiences.

MY BMI is on the borderline, so I don't know if I would get a hard time to get lapband surgery. I am 62, my BMI is 34-35, (weight 114kgs) however I have had type 2 diabetes for 12 years, currently on tablets AND insulin (high doses) and am taking strong Blood Pressure medication. 

With all this medication, my blood sugar/blood pressure readings are acceptable.

However I feel very strongly as the coming years unfold that if I compare having my current body weight/diseases like diabetes with the opportunity to have lapband surgery and return to a weight closer to normal, it has to be a no-brainer -the chances of a longer life (and better quality of life) are much higher with taking the surgery.

I should point out that  of the people with diabetes/high bp who get lapband surgery and lose weight from having it, a significant percentage lose the diabetes and high bp.

I know my current GP, who I know wouldn't approve of this (I wouldn't even bother asking him for referral) , would have to go and I would have to go to someone (like the GPs mentioned in these forums) who has a modern understanding of lapband surgery.

I understand it is not just the surgery, but adjusting to the smaller stomach size and having smaller food portions.

Bearing in mind my BMI is just on the borderline, do you think I would be able to get lapband surgery? (I guess here in Canberra from Canberra Bariatric)

Very hesitant about this, but also excited at the possibility of radically improving my life!

At your current weight, I can't see any surgeon or GP not approving of lapband for you. Go and find out and change your life. Good luck

• Like 2

I think that given your co-morbidities you shouldn't have any problems getting the band done, particularly given the evidence of its benefit for those with type 2 diabetes

Good luck :)

• Like 2

I am 90 kg with a BMI of 35 and not yet in the diabetic range but close and I was banded on Monday.

From what you have said, I think lap banding would be a very good way to go for you.  I'm very surprised that your GP would not "approve" of such a well-documented weight loss tool, particularly with your comorbidities, and it's probably not a bad idea to get rid of him/her anyway, as they're obviously not keeping up with the research!

I wish you all the best. This forum is incredibly helpful and supportive, both in the research phase and afterwards.

hi ganotrill - yep go and see a different GP and get a referral. My GP is Dr Chris Harrison at the Ochre Medical Centre, Ginninderra (the new clinic at UC).

Also, book in for the next information session and pop along with your list of questions :)

• Like 1

The people at Canberra bariatric are great too so its worth going to find out

thanks to each of you for your very supportive and helpful comments!

I've privately held the view for a few years now, that lap band/sleeve surgery could help someone like myself, but until I found this forum, every thing I came across in the media and that was public opinion was that it was  only for severe and rare cases.

In my opinion the world has got a lot of catch up to do  in understanding this form of treatment. 

I will contact Canberra Bariatric and find out when the next information session is being held.

• Like 2

awesome :)

Both Siva (my surgeon) and Charlie are extremely experienced surgeons and are held in very high regard amongst their peers :)

• Like 1