Telling your younger Kids?

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm wondering if any one else has had to tell a younger child about there band?

i was in two minds about explaining it to my 7yo at first but as time has gone by i felt like i needed to explain it. she was noticing my smaller meals, eating slower and not to mention the 'stuck' times.

i am really lucky that she is a smart kid and with a proper explanation she has a genuinely understood,

she even attended my last fill with me and was genuinely interested in what my surgeon was doing and asked to have a look after.

i always ask myself if i shouldn't of explained things to her but then think i would feel bad if i didnt.

sooooo im wondering if anyone else has had to go through anything similar??

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I haven't but I like that you've been honest with her. Kids will understand most things given the opportunity. I don't believe in hiding things from kids.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Although I don't have kids, I work with them and know just how observant they are. I too think you did the right thing by explaining it to her, at least now she understands what is going on

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Thanks to you both, I'm loving being a part of this website more and more I have been worried for the past six months that I'd done the wrong thing but as you said Rlar kids are way to observant, it was only a matter of time before she asked questions.

Posted · Report post

I don't have children either but also think you did the right thing. The last thing I would want is my hypothetical child to think PBing is what "normal" adults do when they eat (however rare). I suppose it also depends on the child (age, mental capacity) and if it is a secret or not. I am a secret bandit but when I have children, I will explain it to them when they are old enough. I probably won't still have the band at that stage as I would like to swap to something more permanent when it comes time to replace it (after I'm done with having kids), but there will still be differences that they would notice and need to understand.

Also, I resented being kept in the dark about my mother's illness several years ago so that probably contributes to my view now.

An interesting topic though :)

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I told my kiddies prior to surgery, at the time their main concern was me going into hospital.

Now they are just excited they can hug me and get their arms all the way around my waist. It's funny what kids focus on and think is important, and the fact they can hug me and have their hands touch around me seems like a nice thing to focus on :)

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I don't have my own children, but do have nieces aged 6 and 4, and I told them I had a little operation (and showed the port scar) that helps me to eat better, but sometimes I will feel a little bit sick with it. The 4 year old comes and rubs my back and stays with me when I have had stuck moments at her house - she likes to play nurse. They have both noticed the weight loss and have said that they like I jump on the trampoline with them now as the best part - which is very cute to hear!

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Oh wow!! I am feeling so much better massive thanks to you all.

I felt a tad silly at first starting this post but you have all help to put my mind at ease! I can't wait to loose more so I can jump on the tramp with my girl! ; )

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Oh wow!! I am feeling so much better massive thanks to you all.

I felt a tad silly at first starting this post but you have all help to put my mind at ease! I can't wait to loose more so I can jump on the tramp with my girl! ; )

I have lost enough to jump on the tramp with my daughter......just not sure if the pelvic floor is up to it after five babies....lol

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Wow caugtbetween that's amazing!! Good on you!! I wouldn't be to worried about the pelvic floor mines kinda shot to after one, lol

I still have a lot to go before I can join my girl on the tramp!! I've been loosing very slowly so far, I've recently had a fill and changed my exercise regime so fingers crossed it starts melting away!!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

my daughter is the same age and i told her as well and she told me that she was proud of me that one day i will be a skinny mummy lol ...awww

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Children learn well from visual material.  They are also fascinated by how their bodies work. Showing a child the placement of the organs of the body and how the whole digestive system works would be fine,  for an older child especially.  The little video of how the band is placed,  and how peristalsis works with it in place,  has been useful for me to show others in my family.

I think that mentioning other medical marvels - like titanium hip replacements, stents, cochlear implants,  and pacemakers - helps to put the band into its rightful place of 'useful tools doctors use to help people live full exciting lives' - instead of the 'something freaky inside her' perception that could arise.

5 people like this

Posted · Report post

My 13 year old nephew learnt the hard way. I was stuck and driving and keep vomiting on the way home from the footy, he had notice my weight loss and don't want to ask.

I not told my other nephews yet as jack has autism.