Sign in to follow this  
Carislb

Gastro/food poisoning

Hi all

I have gaatro or food poisoning.. Came on suddenly this afternoon. My body has attempted to vomit twice but because of my band, nothing comes up, just bouts of heaving. My question - at which point would you go to the doctors for an unfill and injection of anti nausea? I currently have oral anti nausea tablets but they don't seem to have much effect. How bad for the band is this? I've never vomited with my band before now and I'm nearly two years post op.

I've always gone straight to Dr or ER at the slightest hint of gastro. I now keep a small supply of zofran ondansetron wafers in my medicine kit. They are a little wafer you pop on your tongue and pretty quickly you are feeling better. Also you don't have to worry about trying to keep down a tablet.

They aren't cheap but they have been my lifesaver a couple of times.

• Like 1

Touch wood ... I've never had gastro but I was under the impression it's not to good for your band .. If your worried just go to the Dr ..

It's better to be a bit over cautious even if it is just to put your mind at ease .. All the best hope your ok soon

Thanks guys. The vomiting seems to have stopped for now.

Will have to be on soups once I feel safe to eat again

• Like 1

OMG...I feel like I'm dying. Had gastro all day. Can't even keep sips of water down. Think I've vomited now about 8 times. My whole body hurts and I'm oscillating between cold sweats and hot sweats. The only upside is, I won't be eating anything for quite a while so this should be good for weight loss. 

Sorry to hear your not feeling well,nothing worse than it coming from both ends. Try to sleep through it if you can, best wishes.

• Like 1

Well made it through the night. Woke up this morning and my body is no longer aching all other. Have no desire to eat or drink. I'm still a very cautious about sipping fluid because that was making me vomit yesterday. 

Sorry to hear you've been sick.

On the bright side...get on the scales and see how much you've lost :P

I lost over 2 kilos in a day. Just goes to show how much weight is being stored in fluids and in the digestive tract. Today I'm feeling much better and haven't vomited once. Started off the day with some gatorade and even had half a toasted sandwich and it seems to be fine. The diarrhea part I'm actually pretty use to since I suffer from IBS although gastro is more severe than my normal IBS symptoms. And wow, my stomach is looking flat today. If only it looked like this everyday without having to have gastro. 

This whole having gastro has been great for the weight loss. I had one day where I was as sick as dog, actually can't recall ever feeling so sick before in my life. But since then, barely been able to eat. I eat a few mouthfuls and I feel full. I am not wasting this new found fullness as I'm assuming it will wear off pretty soon. Went and had brunch this morning and I order a low calorie option and then could only manage half of it before I started feeling faintly sick in the stomach like the toast felt really heavy in there. I guess it's like being freshly banded again except I'm not concerned about unexpectedly PBing. Now my weight has dropped down by 4kgs since Sat. I know at least 2 kgs of fluid will return shortly. But every opportunity I have to save calories and limit how much I'm eating I'm going to be taking, because I'm trying to lose a few kilos after gaining a few over the past few months. I want my weight back into my safe zone of the healthy weight range where I know there is around a 5kg buffer between me and the overweight weight range. Another couple of weeks of keeping my calories very low and I'll be back where I'd prefer my weight to hover.