ashwee

Horseriding after surgery

Im coming up to 6 weeks sleeved this coming Friday, Anzac day

*omg i cant believe its nearly that much either!*

Anyway i have my next surgeon follow up on May 2nd and hoping to get okay to go back a bit more intense/other exercise etc.

Ive always wanted to horse ride but never been able to with weight limit on horse + tack.

Anyone on here an rider and when did you return to riding after surgery.

Im only going to be a beginner to start with, so just walking maybe a trot etc.

ive already mentioned to instructor about surgery and needing okay from surgeon to start, also will need to know for core when it comes to trot and jumps.

Any advice?

• Like 1

No sorry, I don't like horses.

But good on you for giving everything a go.

Just ask your Dr .. And then when your given the all clear ,go for it ... Have fun and enjoy all the new things that come from getting slimmer and healthier

I got back into it 2 months after my operation, after talking to my surgeon :) I was cantering around no problems but I was hyperaware of my incision sites. Since you will be going slow, I can't see it being an issue as long as your doc is fine with it :)

Happy riding :D

Im not a rider but i did go horse riding about a year or so after

I also wanna do kayaking when summer starts again and plan on climbing mt lofty again (tallest mountain above sea level in SA) and beat my time of 3 hours getting when i was at my heavyist

Who had the weight limit?  Going by your start weight of 106kg, I'm really shocked about that limit!  I know plenty of girls that are bigger that are successful riders and I know men that weigh a lot more as well that ride.

I know a lot of commercial riding places have a limit of 100kgs but I have no doubt you would be fine to ride at your current weight. My father is probably around 120kgs and the 15hh quarter horse he rides on occasion has no problem with him (we would never risk the horse's health!). It is certainly easier to ride while you are lighter, but to start with, your weight will be fine - unless you are riding fine-boned ponies!

It has been more than a year since I have been riding (time constraints) and I am dying to get back in the saddle!!! It is a great way to locate all the muscles you never knew you had hahaha.

Beebop is correct. Its a commercial place and bear in mind tack can be 10kg+ so a massive strain on horse. I presume these wouldnt be hugely heavy set either etc and they must need the limit for insurance.

The instructor i founf said her horses are heavy set.

I have always wanted to ride horses. When I have lost more weight I would like to go on a ride. I injured my back years ago so I'd have to check on that with my doc.

I am a rider awaiting surgery later this month. I would wait 2 months. I was refused by a riding stable at 105kgs I told them I was 100kgs and their limit was 90kgs. It sounds silly but learners are just a little heavier in the saddle. Take it up. It is the only workout that doesn't feel like exercise to me. I love it!!

Bridgey that is what i got told, 95kgs would be absolute limit due to tack.

All good now that im nearly 80kgs even, sitting at 83kgs presently. :D

As your technique isnt good, that would be why a learner isnt heavier.

Looking forward to starting, i found a girl who does lessons on her property for $30 an hour but she only has outdoor arena/dressage no undercover and weather has been really crap lately.

Ashwee - fantastic weight loss achievement!! Enjoy your riding and to me $30 is a great price especially if she provides the horse and gear.