Sign in to follow this  
thesweetestsin8

fell off the wagon.. help =(

Depressed to say that nearly 3 years on I am still just below my pre-op weight.

I stopped going back after about a year for fills because I just lost any confidence and hope that this would actually work. I kept making excuses, "final year of uni is too stressful", "i have no time", "I've been sick", "work is taking up too much time", "I'll go to the gym tomorrow"....

I felt defeated and disappointed that I didn't have the willpower to make the change that i both wanted and needed. But enough is enough. I've had enough of feeling sorry for myself and kicking myself because I wasn't strong enough to keep with it. 

The only way to fix it is to move forward and work harder then I ever have before. Question is, I don't know how. I seriously have no idea where to start. My plans for the next few weeks are as follows

- Set up a gym schedule

- draw up a meal plan

- Begin taking photo diaries to motivate myself and push myself harder (mainly because I hate looking at my own photos, works as a constant reminder as to what I have to work for)

Does anyone have any advice?

I also failed and didn't lose all my weight until 13 years after banding.

Don't give up.

The most important thing for me was to find such a strong motivation that I could no longer live the way I was living any more and the only way was to lose weight.

At the start, you just have to make small improvements and cut back you calories slightly and you will lose weight. As I kept going I kept further improving my diet and cutting back the calories by more.

Exercise is good for your health, but you get the most weight loss return from your diet. Don't think any calories you burn in exercise means you can eat more. (I learnt this one the hard way).

I planned out my meals, wrote my shopping list and prepared the meals in advance so they were ready to be reheated and eaten. That way, much less temptation to eat anything I shouldn't have been.

Don't buy foods that are not on your list. If you do buy something and/or eat something not on your plan, throw the rest out (or flush it down the toilet) as soon as possible to avoid eating more of it. 

If you do eat foods not on your plan, just acknowledge it and think about the cause and how you can prevent it happening again next time. Then move on and go back to your plan right away. Don't bother getting depressed about it because it's the past and you can't change the past.

• Like 6

Good advise missy, also do you think a small fil would help. Don't ever be afraid to go back to your doctor, better to go back than stay fat forever.

• Like 1

I find myself getting pretty nervous when I'm heading in to see my surgeon, even more so if I know I'm going in asking for an unfill. But I like to remind myself, it's MY body and MY money. What I do with MY lapband is MY choice. So if you want to go in and have a fill, you do just that :)

• Like 3

Your 3 dot points are all terrific tools to help you.

Planning and preparation are key to any success in health and lifestyle changes, regardless of whatever tools you choose to use.

I felt such a great sense of freedom when I realised that 'will power' is fictional, it doesn't exist in the way that we think it exists...motivation exists and it waxes and wanes. It is motivation that we feel, not will power The sooner we realise that it is US that make changes, start creating positive habits and continue with those habits, the better off we will all be.

Take it one day at a time - just for today I will (insert positive and realistic activities here). Tomorrow will be addressed at the time. Yesterday is long gone and cannot be changed, we can only learn from the experience.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Guess I felt really embarrassed that I didn't get far enough. I returned to the gym this week. Wrote myself a meal plan and cooked a weeks worth of my meals today with smaller portion sizing etc. Anyone have any advice on how to ignore cravings?

Your 3 dot points are all terrific tools to help you.

Planning and preparation are key to any success in health and lifestyle changes, regardless of whatever tools you choose to use.

I felt such a great sense of freedom when I realised that 'will power' is fictional, it doesn't exist in the way that we think it exists...motivation exists and it waxes and wanes. It is motivation that we feel, not will power The sooner we realise that it is US that make changes, start creating positive habits and continue with those habits, the better off we will all be.

Take it one day at a time - just for today I will (insert positive and realistic activities here). Tomorrow will be addressed at the time. Yesterday is long gone and cannot be changed, we can only learn from the experience.

Will Power is fictional!!!!!

No I don't believe it...didn't you read the other thread, he was being washed and bought to my tent!

I'd also like to know. It's been 2 years since I've been back at the docs for a fill. Kind of embarrassed to go back but I have a feeling I'm not going to have a choice but to suck it up and face it and move forward. Dr. Justin Bessel was my surgeon.

I cant even remember how much each visit costed for a consult and a fill. Can anyone give me a a figure?

I am a patient there and I think that if you paid the upfront cost, all remaining fills are free of charge... Justin wont do the fills, it will be either Teresa or Helen, but both are lovely and will help you get on track without be judgemental...

Whatever you do don't give up. Don't beat yourself up over what has been and start looking forward towards the new you. Your ideas sound like good goals to me. Just do your best to keep taking steps towards what you want to achieve in the long term. Good luck

Last time I saw my weight loss psychiatrist I went with an agenda.  I wanted him to tell me the secret to carrying through on decisions eg not overeating, not making excuses and how to actually stop that moment when you physically go and get the food and consume it, even absent-mindedly.  I thought with all the info he had on psychology and behaviour modification etc that he would be able to give me the low-down, and perhaps even suggest particular books that would be brilliant aids.

And I came away greatly relieved, because the message was:

• No, there is no secret technique the experts hold up their sleeves.  I have not been missing out on any special info about weight loss techniques.
  • Being motivated is great,  but to carry out the changes I need to make (and the habits I need to develop and keep) I am the only one that can do that.
  • Basically, there is no magic wand! 

The bottom line is I am the one who has to plan and execute how to eat healthier, choose what foods I expose myself to and establish a regular exercise habit.  I am the one who has to monitor how much I put in my mouth, how long I chew it for, how often I wait between mouthfuls and when I finally put down the knife and fork.  No-one is going to pat me on the back, give me gold stars or fancy prizes.  My rewards are in the future.

I think your list is great because you have come to the realisation that continuing as you were was not making you happy, and that it was time to make big changes.  I admire your commitment.  The only advice I would give is that if you are feeling ravenously hungry 2-3 hours after eating a decent amount of food you may find fills bring you back to a place where hunger is more moderate and therefore it is easier not to succumb to overeating when you do eat.

• Like 1