kerr

May 2014

good luck Snuddy and Melmo! Hope it all goes well!  Finally had my dietician appt last night and it changed a few things I'd read on the site.  They want us on liquids for 2 weeks then puree for 2 then soft food for 2 before finally getting real food at 6 weeks.  I'm going to stick to this to give me the best chance of healing.

Also my surgeon told me 2 weeks of optifast but then I saw on my notes that he'd written 4 weeks??  this was backed up by the dietician, well too late now just have to do the best I can to get down to 90kg like the surgeon wants.  Tick tick tick.. just want it done!

• Like 1

Hi all, hoping all has gone well for Snuddy and Melmo, come tomorrow they can start healing and their new journey will take them to wonderful places.

It's just me, I feel the op day we lose And it all begins day 1 after. Lol. I think maybe cos I've slept a lot after prev surgeries.

I've been on optifast for 6 days and lost 3kgs surprisingly, however tonight let myself down due to hunger, the need for meat etc.

I made healthy choices but obviously my calories went From the 800 to 1200... Grrr me

Back on track tomorrow...

Kerr my dietician was as you were recommended, solid food from 6 weeks. I can handle that too.

You are doingnwell with weightloss, keep going and be the star you truly are... Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to say good luck to all those being banded in May. I was banded 12 months ago today and it is the best thing I have ever done. Ive lost 30kgs and have never felt better. I still have a long way to go but for the first time in my life I have lost weight and maintained the loss - not just piled it all back on again. Ive been a very lucky bandit with almost no trouble with the band. I can eat pretty much anything in small amounts and get just a small pain between my shoulder blades if I forget and eat a bit quick.

It is a life changing, scary, exciting process to go through. Ive had up and downs but through it all never regretted a thing.

so GOOD LUCK and take care after your surgery!!!!!

Thanks so much kalalan for your kind words and inspiration. You have done so well to date and its appreciated that you are here with us too!

• Like 1

Hi all! Melmo and I are home and in one piece will post more in the next few days when I am not so groggy.

• Like 2

Ya congrats Snuddy and Melmo!  Want to hear all about it when you feel up to it.

Hi everyone,

I am a shy newbie here getting banded on 16 May by Dr Dolan at Glengarry - I am getting really nervous and anxious about the surgery but excited at the same time.

To those who have just had their surgery, all the very best with your recovery and for those bout about to have their surgery, good luck!!

I would love to keep in contact with you all hear about your progress :)

• Like 2

Hi all! Melmo and I are home and in one piece will post more in the next few days when I am not so groggy.

Hi tannypopples

Your description of how you feel was exactly how I was pre-op just over two weeks ago lol. Dr Dolan was my surgeon too. This forum has been good for me, lots to read and learn. Stay strong! :D

• Like 1

So pleased Snuddy & Melmo you are home safe, rest easy on your recovery.

Tannypopples, I've been feeling same as you, and the days are flying.

Looking forward to supporting one another through our exciting life change.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Tannypopples

I'm being banded by Dr Dolan on the 16th as well! What time is your admission to Glengarry? I'm feeling the same as you, I'm really nervous and excited all at the same time. Have you started optifast yet? I'm starting tomorrow.....

Good luck with it all.

Jerry

• Like 2

Hi Jerry, 

I am booked in for 11am I think, also starting optifast tomorrow too - I was a bit concerned because I am only seeing the dietician and have my pre-op appointment on Thursday the 8th t a week before and haven't had any instructions but thought there was no harm in starting to take the optifast myself beforehand, couldn't do any harm. Thank you,l  wish you all the best too, might see you there!!

Thanks AngelButterfly :)

• Like 1

How is everyone going with this cooler weather? I'm hating how hungry I am, can't drink water cos all I do is visit the toilet.

And the body just won't let go of any of this weight.

Surviving optifast but frustrated that my body is just going to stall and not give up any more of this dreaded fat no how little I eat... I can't keep killing myself with exercise, too many injuries because I'm too heavy.

Grrrr maybe just pre op nerves... Only 4 sleeps to go.

How is everyone going with this cooler weather? I'm hating how hungry I am, can't drink water cos all I do is visit the toilet.

And the body just won't let go of any of this weight.

Surviving optifast but frustrated that my body is just going to stall and not give up any more of this dreaded fat no how little I eat... I can't keep killing myself with exercise, too many injuries because I'm too heavy.

Grrrr maybe just pre op nerves... Only 4 sleeps to go.

I kinda like the cooler weather, beats the awful summer weather we have here in Perth.  Pre-op nerves maybe... I am not that experienced as I am only 3 weeks post-op but for me, I read info on here and just let it happen. Worrying isn't going to change anything, but I did clear out my pantry of any "tempter" treats which was therapeutic. 

If your body is anything like mine, it is probably in shock at the Optifast lol!! I'm sure mine was like wtf where are my cheese twisties?!?! 

• Like 1

Day 1 of Opti-Diet.

Cruising through so far. Waiting for the novelty to wear off.

I surprisingly ate less than I usually would for tea last night - "The Last Supper" as I referred to it as. 

Finished off my time as a significantly overweight person with a small chicken burger meal. 

Bread was a great friend of mine, so I found it only fitting that I allow it to be part of the celebration of my last meal hahaha.

Thanks Angel butterfly for your words of wisdom. I'm sure the week will get easier, Friday surgery day, come Saturday all will seem so much brighter looking forward...

• Like 1

I am eating like I'm never going to eat again at the moment as I don't need to do the optifast before surgery! Eep!! Bring on Monday!

• Like 1

Day 1 of Opti-Diet.

Cruising through so far. Waiting for the novelty to wear off.

I surprisingly ate less than I usually would for tea last night - "The Last Supper" as I referred to it as. 

Finished off my time as a significantly overweight person with a small chicken burger meal. 

Bread was a great friend of mine, so I found it only fitting that I allow it to be part of the celebration of my last meal hahaha.

lol Nathan, bread too (oh the distant memory) was a once very close friend of mine.  Now let's add some salt into this wound and I will add that my husband is a baker....nope I'm still not over it lol grrrr

Ouch!!! Not a baker! Don't rub too much salt into the wounds - it's not good for you! Haha

• Like 1

Good luck mango memories, we're all along for the ride!

• Like 1

Hi all, just wanted to update on our progress post-op. I didn't really know what to expect having never had an operation in my adult life, but I didn't expect to feel so wiped out! The first few days I was barely able to concentrate on anything for any amount of time, which made sitting around at home really boring. I drove to the shops for the first time yesterday and today I'm feeling like I haven't slept in days.

Our wounds are looking great, dry and clean. We are both still bruised and a little sore. I've been getting weird muscle spasms around the left hand side of my diaphragm but my GP assures me that it's probably just because it's been moved around a bit. We've both had some shoulder tip pain, but nothing too terrible.

We have been walking every day since getting home. A little more each day. It's been really good.

I'm pretty much over fluids and am excited to see the dietician to get on to the next stage. I had a dream I ate potato chips and anzac biscuits and I'm addicted to watching the Food channel.

• Like 2

Hi Melmo, nice to have you back. Glad to hear all is well. Food channel mmmmm  :) 

Well i guess it is my turn to post now too :) Our operations went smoothly although I have now discovered pethidine makes me a psycho (those poor recovery nurses)! I was on Oxygen when I came up to the ward Melmo wasn't. I had bad reflux pain and Melmo didn't and Melmo could burp and I couldn't. My surgeon came to see me that evening and explained that he had put a smaller band on me so I was having worse symptoms. I am not going to lie the first few days I was feeling miserable.Now we are out and about and feeling much better if not a bit sleepy. Still learning to take things easy yesterday we overdid it a bit and Melmo is currently passed out on our couch as I type.The head nurse of the ward we were in has a band too and she said the first week or so will be up and down while our bodies adjust. I am loving soup but am looking forward to the mushie stage. I am rarely hungry which is awesome but I am a mashed potato addict so looking forward to indulging just a little :)

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Snuddy, have been thinking of you both.

Rest easy, one day at a time... Good on you both!

• Like 1