kerr

May 2014

Good luck Kerr, its a very exciting time.

Now I've had the surgery I realise I was over anxious and life is going to be so much better, you won't know yourself, follow all recommendations from your medical staff and rest up.

Cheers :0)

• Like 1

I had my pre op appointment today, feeling so much better about the whole thing now. I can't believe it's happening on Friday I'm nervous and excited now. I didn't have to do the opti fast diet either. Funny though, the dietitian at Dr Dolans said I didn't need to but the pre op doc said everyone should but that it won't hurt me that I haven't. Bloody dietitian!

Good luck to everyone having surgery soon :)

• Like 1

Kerr all the best for tomorrow and same for Jerry on Friday

Hi there new and almost new bandits, just do your best I just wanted to share with u all,  banding is the best thing i have ever done for myself in my entire life (almost 43 years) I was obese for most of my life and defiantly since i was about 12 years old my only regret was not getting banded sooner. Good uck to you all and good on you all for making this decision, just remember it is just a tool, i have found the best part of my new best friend(the band) is i never feel hunger any more and i now enjoy quality foods over quantity of food love hugs and fabulous results to you all

Ali 

• Like 1

So had a terrible night's sleep the nerves are really kicking in.. kept dreaming i'd over slept my alarm then had to wake up to check.  Also dreamt I went to my chemist and showed them the paperwork for my op for some reason.  They thought it was a prescription and gave me all the bits for the operation like the band, port, swabs etc and I thought 'That's not right, there's no way that's still going to be sterile by the time I get to the hospital!'

So about to head off.. will be really glad when this is over.  thanks for the well wishes everyone.

• Like 2

So had a terrible night's sleep the nerves are really kicking in.. kept dreaming i'd over slept my alarm then had to wake up to check.  Also dreamt I went to my chemist and showed them the paperwork for my op for some reason.  They thought it was a prescription and gave me all the bits for the operation like the band, port, swabs etc and I thought 'That's not right, there's no way that's still going to be sterile by the time I get to the hospital!'

So about to head off.. will be really glad when this is over.  thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Hilarious dream! Hope everything goes/went well in surgery!

So here I am alive and kicking and surprisingly alert. Was the first one this morning at 9am woke up in recovery at 1130. Apparently they had to dig a little hard around the back of the stomach so pretty sore at my main incision but nurses being lovely. OH has been called so he knows I'm ok is coming in around 4pm after work. Can't believe how good I feel but I guess that's all the drugs.

• Like 3

Well done Kerr, you have taken the first step on the journey to a new you!

• Like 2

Yes being banded tomorrow !! Eeek

• Like 3

Hi Portia, I'm doing well :)

Have lost 4kgs in week 1 of optifast

• Like 4

Congrats Kerr, all done, yay......

I can relate to feeling so good Friday after my surgery and went back to work yesterday and today for half days. Listen to your body and rest when you need to.

Good luck bc931, you'll be fine too,

Nathan, 4 kgs awesome, you are killing it! Such a great feeling.

• Like 1

I had my pre op appointment today, feeling so much better about the whole thing now. I can't believe it's happening on Friday I'm nervous and excited now. I didn't have to do the opti fast diet either. Funny though, the dietitian at Dr Dolans said I didn't need to but the pre op doc said everyone should but that it won't hurt me that I haven't. Bloody dietitian!

Good luck to everyone having surgery soon :)

All the best Jerry, I might see you there on Friday!!

• Like 1

My op went well yesterday and I was home by lunchtime today. I'm having terrible gas pain though as they reckon they needed a bit to inflate the cavity (I had a tummy tuck a year ago so my abs are very tight). I have 6 scars :(

Chicken broth in the hospital was revolting and I've been living on cup of soups since I got home! Lol I just couldn't eat it!

• Like 1

Welcome home Fluttershy,

Keep moving around,when you can it will help your body expel the Gas. of course rest and follow all medical guidelines.

Everyday is better than the last. Cheers

My op went well yesterday and I was home by lunchtime today. I'm having terrible gas pain though as they reckon they needed a bit to inflate the cavity (I had a tummy tuck a year ago so my abs are very tight). I have 6 scars :(

Chicken broth in the hospital was revolting and I've been living on cup of soups since I got home! Lol I just couldn't eat it!

Welcome home Fluttershy, nice to hear you made it out despite the hospital chicken broth trying to get you ;)

Degas pills may help, Peppermint or Ginger Tea, heating pads/packs and keep moving. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Portia and AngelButterfly, I'm onto the degas now and trying to move around but my stomach is still quite tender. I managed a good nights sleep in my own bed and feeling quite good today!

I have to say I was a little worried about whether I have done the right thing, but I know I have - it's just a whole new learning experience and I'll find ways of coping (I was maybe feeling a little put out making cupcakes for my daughters 4th birthday and not being able to have any!).

Hope everyone else is doing well and good luck to anyone who is being banded this week!

• Like 1

Thanks Portia and AngelButterfly, I'm onto the degas now and trying to move around but my stomach is still quite tender. I managed a good nights sleep in my own bed and feeling quite good today!

I have to say I was a little worried about whether I have done the right thing, but I know I have - it's just a whole new learning experience and I'll find ways of coping (I was maybe feeling a little put out making cupcakes for my daughters 4th birthday and not being able to have any!).

Hope everyone else is doing well and good luck to anyone who is being banded this week!

I've only been banded a short time (4 weeks tomorrow) and in that time I have had Easter, my hubbys birthday and a Mother's Day. I'm starting to get the idea there is always going to be something that could be seen as a *sigh* I'm going to miss out moment. Don't get me wrong, I was pouting too ha! However turning the frowns to smiles must take some serious practice..... or something

• Like 1

Hi Fluttershy and Angelbutterfly,

Yes what you say is correct there will always be something going on, however with the appointments I have had with nurses, psychologists etc, I have been given a different message and I feel like I am viewing everything more lightly.

They have told me that there will never be a reason for me to miss out, go without if theres something I want. They just said, that I will have a little and a little will be enough as my tool will prevent me from over indulging if I use it correctly.

For Me, there's no use going through all this change if we feel like we will be missing out for the rest of our lives. Everything in moderation but prioritise nutrition first and foremost. I'm actually feeling really positive about the future, the birthday cakes, a piece of chocolate (instead of a block)lol.

• Like 3

Portia I agree with you. I have had everything from sandwiches to nandos, even had chicken & sticky rice dumplings today with the office girls when we went for lunch. The difference is before I use to have a whole bowl of fried rice with kong poa chicken and today I could only manage one dumpling and I was full. My dietician has told me I will never be on diet again. So for me, I try to make the right choices and I keep my portions small. But if I want something I have it. This way I dont feel deprived or a need to binge. With a 12.6kg loss in a month and a half I think I must be doing something right 😉

• Like 2

Hi Sav,

12.6kgs is inspirational. You really are doing it right for yourself.

I'm grateful for your info as its reassuring that my mindset it hopefully in the right place. The recovery phase is so worth getting back to normality when it comes to sitting down with the family and having meals.

I'm really looking forward to weighing Friday, 1 week post op as already people are commenting on my face looking thinner.

• Like 2

Portia I am sure there are others on here that would disagree with me, but for me I have to make my diet maintainable because if I go too extreme I will end up binging... I love timtams, but instead of eating half a packet at a time I bought a box that has dark, gooey or original snack packets and just have one of those... Takes the craving away and keeps me sane ☺ï¸

• Like 2

I'm sure I'll get there, I'm on liquid phase at the moment, so real food seems like a long way away right now haha. My port site is really noticeable and bulgy, it's actually making me feel squeamish lol! As I previously posted, I have had a tummy tuck in the past so very little fat on my stomach - hopefully it's just swollen and will settle down!

Does anyone else's stomach still gurgle like it does when you're hungry? Mine is so loud even though I am full! Haha

Hi Fluttershy I'm looking at my port site and thinking 'wow that's really swollen' freaking myself out with 'what if its infected?' but only 2 days post op I'm trying to tell myself it just needs time for the swelling to go down.  I feel like i'm pregnant at the moment though LOL