kerr

May 2014

Hi everyone,

1 week, 1 day Post op and every day has been a better one. Been back at work each day, only managed 1/2 days Monday Tuesday, the rest of the week were full days.

Fell into bed by 7.30 each night.

And yes Fluttershy and Kerr each day I wonder if the Port site will feel like this, and each day it feels different. A good different as it is healing. Give it time, I think after two weeks we'll be feeling amazing.

Not sick of liquids yet, prob cos I'm not too hungry, we'll see by next weekend.

I hope everyone in May so far and Prior, who has taken on this new journey is doing really well.

Cheers P.

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Still in the optifast phase and have 4 days until the op. Have lost 6.5 kilos so far :)

Looking forward to it!

• Like 3

I'm over the liquids now and I'm only 6 days post op! I am allowed to start the mushie phase on Monday and I'm a bit nervous about it as I'm back at work next week. I'm a secret bander so it's going to be interesting to see who picks up on what I'm eating (and trust me, they will, we're obsessed with food at my office!)

I have my first appointment on the 28 May and I doubt I will get any fill, but I do know that I will get Dr Bowater's protein eating plan and I'm a bit scared about that! my next appointment is the 11 June but I might change this if it's for a fill only as I don't want any fill when I go to Thailand for 3 weeks on the 17 June.

Nathan, well done on the 6.5kg! That's a great result! Your op will be here before you know it!

Portia, glad to hear everything is going well for you so far!

• Like 2

Hi  Kerr & Jerry

I just got done yesterday, hope you guys are doing well.  

• Like 2

Nathan you are going well.

Fluttershy, you should be fine at work. Oats for brekky and then lunch can be scrambled egg or cottage pie or yogurt or soup. I was only on mushies for 8 days. Good luck.

• Like 1

Fluttershy talk to your surgeon, they won't necessarily give you fill every visit (particularly if you are concerned about it). Well done Nathan on your weight loss, and for anyone who gets sick of liquids for a week be grateful it's not 4.

Hi Guys

Day 3 - feel really well today, pain in incision area but not too bad, got up after a good nights sleep and did the house work, just light stuff.  Trying to work out how to get all these fluids into me - protein shakes, soup, benefiber and water!  as it is taking me an hour to drink and Up & go!  Yesterday afternoon I was feeling quite depressed and wondered what I had done! today I am excited, so expecting a few emotions.

Well done Nathan and good luck. xx :)

• Like 2

HI all I'm now 5 days post op, still on liquids for another week.  The swelling is going down very slowly.  My surgeon said that they had a hard time getting behind the stomach which makes me feel guilty for busting my pre op diet... oh well at least the damn thing is in.  But it did mean they had to push pretty hard so I've been paying for it pain-wise.  I've been loving the liquid diet so far.  I have low fat vaalia drinking yoghurt for breakfast which is very yummy, my OH has made up some incredible chicken soup starting with chicken frames which is full of flavour and I can use as stock to whizz up some great protein soups.  If I want chicken I add chicken livers or the other day I took some of the chicken stock, cooked fresh salmon, low fat natural yogurt and skim milk and whizzed it all up to make a kick arse salmon soup.  I've been drinking peppermint tea and for a treat I have low fat custard.

I weighed myself after I got home from the hospital so I'd know how much the swelling had put on but I'm now below my surgery weight so that feels good.  I think I've been doing a bit too much moving around so I'm going back to bed for the next couple of days and hope the pain eases up a bit.  My surgeon gave me a prescription of endone before I left the hospital and I've been having about 2 a day.  I haven't had much problems with wind pain though, the ummm below the belly button wind has been taking care of itself nicely, its only the upper chest wind which has been hard to shift, it took 4 days before I burped for the first time and boy did that feel good.

I get really thirsty which can be hard when you've already had a bowl of soup and can't fit anything else in but I have a 1 litre drink bottle that I have fill each day and lace with benefibre and I just keep trying to sip that whenever I can.  My surgeon gave me a sick certificate that covers me for 2 weeks and even though it means using annual leave I'm going to take it because I just feel like my body is in so much shock right now.  I've never had surgery before so I'm finding the whole thing a bit freaky, can't wait to get my staples out I hate looking at the band aids with dried blood on them.  Plus I want to be able to start putting essential oils on my incisions asap to help them heal quicker.  If you want to know about my hospital stay I've written a blog here -

I can't say enough about how great everyone at Ashford were, really made my stay easy.  Anyway apart from feeling like a herd of elephants have tapped danced on me everything has been really good.  I didn't get the weepies from anesthetic withdrawal and I can eat liquids easily without it taking forever, I just need to learn not to have too much at once.

Hope everyone else is doing well too.

• Like 5

Hi May bandits.

I was banded on the 16th, what an experience - I'm not so great at coming out of anaesthetic and vomiting straight after banding is not advisable!! Make sure you tell your anethisist if you spew cause they will give you heaps of anti nausea drugs. (I didn't know this about myself)

I'm much better today but the tummy gurgling and wind is hysterical. Drinking yogurt is delightful and thin homemade soup!!

Good luck for anyone being banded soon.

Jerry x

Hi all , I'm getting banded on the 29th may! Starting to get very nervous now. Opti really hard, have been having 2 coffees a day to get thru is that bad?

I'm at the stage right now where I am hoping I have made the right decision... Possibly just nerves ..

• Like 1

Thanks for all posting your experience on here, it is great to see and hoping all goes so well for you all xox

• Like 1

Jayali I had 4 cups of coffee a day (down from 8!) i gave up eating vegetables in exchange for 1 cup of milk a day. So dont stress you will be fine.

One week post op and I am 4.5kg down! I also started mushie phase today :) I am struggling to get much down today as it's that time of the month and I'm suddenly feeling really restricted, definitely a learning curve!!

• Like 2

Thanks sav.02 makes me feel a little better , I don't have any fruits for the milk. :)

Wow fluttershy 4.5 kg ! Wow that's amazing, I cAnnot begin to imagine how much of a learning curb it will be

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Had my Post Op appt today, healing fantastically. Started on mushies tonight, was lovely to have some texture to chew.

Wounds are fading.

My first fill will be in 6 weeks, however at the moment I'm doing okay with smaller meals. I have no fill in my band, so will focus on high protein nutrition to ensure I don't get Hungary and make wrong food choices or over eat.

My biggest challenge is not drinking with my meals, I still forget and sit down with both. The nurse told me that whilst in this healing phase I will be able to develop & focus on good habits which will make it soooo much easier when I have my first fill.

Life is feeling very positive right now.

Good luck Nathan' not long to go. And everyone else feeling the nerves, you'll look back and wonder why you were so worried. This is an amazing journey you are about to partake on. :0)

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

Good luck everyone, thinking of you Nathan. Jerry I also react badly to anaesthetic so told the anaesthetist who put in the anti nausea drug too and first time ever after an op I didn't vomit.

Today is day 4, if you include Friday last week which was op day.  Today I have been extremely tired and the incision is very sore, especially when I bend.

Only having fluids, not sure I am having enough though, but not hungry, just had Up & Go for brekkie, Sustogen for lunch and soup and drinking yoghurt for dinner, trying to drink as much water as possible with Benefiber in it, but struggling to drink a whole bottle in a day.

Not sure of weight loss leaving that until I feel better.

Looking forward to hearing your updates. xx :)

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. I was banded on 16th May and so far so good, I have just been really tired and have just gotten over the shoulder tip pain, managing to keep down all the fluids (even though I am really not hungry or thirsty) and moving around ok now without much pain. Sorry to hear that you had issues with vomiting Jerry, that must have been pretty scary. I had a different problem with the anaesthetic, the anaesthetist spent quite a lot of time finding my veins and was having a real good dig around and I spent a couple of hours after being in recovery on oxygen in my room which was kind of scary and a first for me and I was pretty much connected to the flo-trons & iv fluid until I was discharged so I really didn't have the freedom to walk & move around much. I have a little bit of bloating still and a little bit of pain where the port is but to be honest, it is not as painful as I thought. 

Nathan, all the very best with your surgery today :)

Hi Guys

Tannypopples I was banded 16 May too. Pretty much like you I was IV and the oxygen while the nurses monitored me.  Pain was bad yesterday but I think I feel better today, got to watch that I don't start drinking too fast.  Still doing fluids until the weekend.

Hope all goes well for everyone, talk again soon. x  :)

Good luck for your surgery today Nathan! And yes, the 4.5kg is post op as I wasn't on optifast prior to surgery and didn't lose any weight before I was banded.

Nisey14, I struggled with getting mush water in as well and I usually put away 2-3 litres a day easily. I was struggling to make it to 1 litre post op. I found I could drink more around the 6 day post op mark and now at 8 days I can drink 2 litres of water on top of my other liquids (coffee/tea/juice) easily again.

Glad to hear everyone is going well at the moment!

Thoroughly enjoying the mushy phase I must say! My husband who has been overweight since he was 10 years old is now seriously considering being banded himself!

• Like 2

One week post op and I am 4.5kg down! I also started mushie phase today :) I am struggling to get much down today as it's that time of the month and I'm suddenly feeling really restricted, definitely a learning curve!!

Nice weightloss so far Flutter. Heat pack on the lower back helps with the girly pains cause we can't put it on our tummys. I also found this subsided my hunger pains too! Not sure why, it just works. Might be worth me permanently attaching a few heat packs to my back lol!!

• Like 1

I've been following some of the discussions for some now and thought I should introduce myself. I was banded in Aug 2013 at The Avenue by Mr Gary Crosthwaite. All in all I didn't have much trouble or pain. So far, I've lost 27kg which isn't as much as some have lost but considering I've had a marriage break up and have moved house all in that time, I'm pretty happy with things so far

• Like 2

Hope it all went well Nathan, congrats on joining us bandits