Sign in to follow this  
Rlar

Help!

My hubby and I are attending a BBQ on the weekend and everyone has been asked to bring their own supplies. Any ideas for what I can take to cook (only the BBQ available for cooking) as I'm still on the mushie phase. Thanks in advance.

there are frozen lentil burgers that you can get in coles in the gluten free section in the freezer they are made by Syndian. I'm not a fan of normal lentil burgers, but these are yummy on the bbq and they crumble very easy, can be hard to get them off the bbq in one piece. 4 in a pack so you could try before hand.

Thanks for the idea dondon, should've pointed out to everyone that I'm 5 weeks post op, 4 on liquids, 2 mush (as per my surgeons instructions).

Do you want it to be kept secret from everyone there?

If so maybe take your own lunch of something bland and tell them you have been unwell and watching what you eat.

Or fish...nice on a BBQ, take a pre-made sauce in a jar and mix it with the fish...it should heat up enough when mixed together and be mushy enough.

Get a lunch flask and take some mashed spuds..with a white sauce, to mix with the fish?

I can't think of anything else that you could cook on a barbie that would be called 'mushy'.

• Like 1

Definitely fish :) something soft!

I would probably serve with stuffed mushrooms also cooked on the BBQ. Make sure the stuffing has liquid in it to keep them nice and mushie.

I have to go to a working lunch on the 1st May and I'll still be on purée at that stage (4 weeks since op). I've decided to keep my banding a secret so I thought I would take a thermos of soup so I'm not tempted to eat the platters and just tell everyone that I have had a tummy bug and am not up to facing food yet.

First of all I was even thinking I might take something along and say I'm on a detox diet after a big Easter with far too much chocolate and alcohol.

Good luck!

Maybe take along a foil tray of veggies that you have pre cooked so they are soft... like sweet potato, pumpkin, potato, slivers of capsicum, that you could chew down well.. and get them to reheat on the BBQ for you, or take warm with a side of light sour cream to put a dob on?

Enjoy!! Good luck. :)

• Like 2

En Papillote or baked in paper/alfoil could be a good bbq idea on the go. Wrap up at home a piece of soft fish, small sliced vegies and seasonings. It steams while baking all ingredients on the bbq while wrapped up and it's done really quickly, plus it will be mushy, moist and nutritious.

• Like 1

They just about all know that I'm banded and I'll be out most of the day. Feeding self only. Hubby is going to have lamb cutlets (I'm so not jealous at all) and a jacket spud (just cheese). I have decided that I'll make a jacket spud too but I'll fill mine with a mince mix that I have frozen anyway, plus a little cheese, this will only require warming.

Fish sounds good or take a thermos of soup or casserole.  Tell them you had a vomiting bug and are still a bit careful of what you eat.

I had the same problem whilst on mushies

Take yourself the following Mexican dish:

refried beans topped with pureed salsa, guacamole and sour cream....no one will ever know :)