Sign in to follow this  
Becstar

Should I start over?

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a problem and I want some advice if you'd be so kind as to help.  I've been banded for nearly 2 years and I've lost 40kg but I've not lost anything since before Christmas.  Once of the main reasons is because I'm pretty sure my band is too tight.  It was too tight last year so I had some fluid removed, and for a while I thought things were better although I still had a lot of stuck moments but I just assumed that was my fault because I ate too fast or didn't chew properly or something along those lines.  The thing is, it's just been getting worse and worse to the point where I can barely eat anything that isn't a fluid.  I throw up every day and several times most days, and I feel like I have tried everything. 

I am almost never hungry except for the times when I just haven't eaten in forever (because sometimes I just won't eat because it's too hard to try) and even when I have liquids like soup or I can get down something a bit more substantial like tuna or mashed potato, I can only eat a small amount before I feel full.  The problem is that I get so miserable and then eat chocolate, because that is the one thing I don't have trouble with (life is so cruel sometimes).  Actually, not that I think about it, I have had problems with chocolate too!  I have tried it all: eating slower, eating smaller bites, waiting up to 10-15 minutes between mouthfuls, chewing until my food tastes like sawdust...and I'm still having this problem!  I'm actually craving fresh fruit and veggies and healthy balanced meals but I can't eat them!

I have an appointment with my doctor next Friday and I think I'm going to ask him to remove all of the fluid so that my body can calm down and I can start over again.  My doctor makes me nervous when I ask to have fluid removed and when I ask him how much he's putting in or out he gets a bit cagey like I don't need to know that.  I feel like he might be against this idea but I feel like this is something I just need to do.  Do you think it's too drastic to have my band completely emptied?  Sure, it might mean I can eat more, but I'm not exactly losing weight right now so how much worse can it get?  And you still have some restriction with an empty band, don't you?  I would love thoughts, ideas, advice - especially if you've been through something similar.  Thanks!

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor for his advice, but it is just that. Advice. If you really think you want all the fill removed, have it removed.

If it was me, I would start with removing half the fill. :) But if you've hit a wall and you cant get past it, and you're throwing up all the time, starting over sounds like a good idea to me. What does your doctor say when you tell him you're so restricted you cant eat solids and you're regurgitating everything. this is not what the band is designed for and HE should recognise that you need to have fill removed.

• Like 2

in my experience of being in the red zone, the surgeon generally takes out quite a large amount of fill because the stomach is inflamed and swollen from all the blockages and irritation. It can take a few weeks for this to start settling down.

Have a good chat with them, do get some fill out - you need to eat normal food! take a break from it all for a bit before starting to get restriction again.

Hope you have relief and you can start enjoying life again

maybe think about seeing a different Dr if you're not comfortable with yours?

• Like 1

Well I finally got to see the doctor yesterday and I felt like crying as I explained the situation, I hate that going to the doctor makes me feel like a naughty kid in the principal's office!  But, with some insistence, I got him to agree to take all of my fill out.  And I have to say that for the last 24 hours I have felt human again!  Not a PB or stuck moment or chest pain at all and it's wonderful!  The best thing is that I don't feel hungry either.  I was worried that I'd have my fill taken out and I'd be ravenous, eating everything I could see, but I honestly haven't been.  I had a thick chunky soup for dinner last night to ease into it and a serve of a risoni pasta dish today and some flavoured tuna, and everything has gone down perfectly, and has left me feeling satisfied.  I'm not going to let my guard down though, now that I can eat properly, I'm going to be enjoying lots of veggies! 

The doctor said he wants me to have an x-ray in three weeks in case the band has slipped.  I honestly don't think it was slippage that was the problem, I truly think I just don't need a very tight band.  But I will hold off final judgement for a little while since the area around the band is probably still quite swollen. 

• Like 4