nathan

Super release with Private Health Insurance?

Hi Bandits,

Just a quick one: Could I release super even though I'm getting the op through private health insurance?

Thanks for your help :)

• Like 1

Yeah didn't think so. Would've just made the whole cash flow thing easier, but oh well. Looking forward to May 20!!!

I have private health and took a loan for the out of pocket expenses and was told that I could apply to get this back from my super. I have the forms and will be submitting them in the next week or so.

Absolutely, yes you can. I applied last year for my out of pocket expenses and was approved. The surgeon has to give you an estimate of costs that you submit with your application. My out of pocket costs were 5.500k approx., after private health. Whether there is a minimum that you can apply for I don't know.  

Yes you can. I have Private Health Cover and was able to cover all of my out of pocket expenses with my Super. They will only release your super based on the estimates provided by the surgeon and anaesthetist. 

Its a pretty tedious process but worth it in the long run!! WLS wouldn't have been a possibility for me without my super being released.

Yes you can. I have Private Health Cover and was able to cover all of my out of pocket expenses with my Super. They will only release your super based on the estimates provided by the surgeon and anaesthetist. 

Its a pretty tedious process but worth it in the long run!! WLS wouldn't have been a possibility for me without my super being released.

Fantastic!

When you say tedious, what sort of time are we talking to get it happening? :")

Thanks for everyone's help.

It took me almost 2 weeks to get my forms filled out and get everything that I needed to attach to them. I think it then took them about a month to get back to me.

From memory I needed to complete a form, have my GP complete a form, have my surgeon complete a form, provide a quote from my surgeon, provide a quote from my anaesthetist, provide estimated rebate details from my Health Fund and attach certified copies of my ID. I also remember sending in payslips and proof that I had no savings but I don't remember if that was a requirement or just something extra that I did....

Good Luck with it all!!!

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I'll have the time as my banding is in just over two weeks.

I noticed that you and I had EXACTLY the same starting weight, MilleyMoo - Down to the last 100 grams. Incredible!  :o  :)

• Like 1

Even if you apply and just reimburse your expenses with the super when it is released?

And that is crazy! My goal weight was originally 90kgs too! I changed my mind only recently and decided to try for that extra 10kgs.

Makes sense if they'll allow it.

If I cross the bridge where I can contemplate losing the extra 10 I'll be on board.

Good on you for setting high expectations. Keep us updated on the progress!

Good luck with the op, you wont look back!

I would love to hear how you go!

I applied for a super release - I think I applied for $6000 in the end, which after a lot of running around, letter writing, form filling in and general arguing with them (including getting my mum to help write a super-polite-but-still-kinda-nasty letter after they were about to decline the application), was approved.

I paid a heap in tax, but still had enough for my surgeon's fee, anaesthetist's fee and my private health's $500 excess fee.

Good luck! :)

TJ123 do the take the tax off before paying it over to you or did you have to pay tax when you did your return?

• Like 1

I took the gap from my super - $7500 and PHI paid the rest. 

There have been a few people say in previous threads that it was difficult to get reimbursed from Super if you paid by credit card or personal loan due to the fact that the bank would give you a learn on the basis you could pay if off, why couldn't you continue to do so. 

Sav.02 Your super company will take out the gross amount, send the tax portion to the ATO and the rest to you along with a group certificate for you to declare the additional "income" on your tax return  :)

The tax was taken out before :)

Has anyone here tried to claim the super back after they had the surgery done??

Has anyone here tried to claim the super back after they had the surgery done??

No, but I too have thought about it and am curious is anyone has succeeded with this.......

Well I have completed all the forms but had a query on one of the questions so I called them up only to find out that because I have paid for it (even though I took a personal loan so technically I am paying it off) that its not an outstanding debt so I wont be able to claim!!! This change came about on 1 April.... When I called in March I was told I would be able to claim after the surgery....

I am still putting my claim in though *fingers crossed* 😒

Well I have completed all the forms but had a query on one of the questions so I called them up only to find out that because I have paid for it (even though I took a personal loan so technically I am paying it off) that its not an outstanding debt so I wont be able to claim!!! This change came about on 1 April.... When I called in March I was told I would be able to claim after the surgery....

I am still putting my claim in though *fingers crossed*

How did you go Sav?

Got a letter yesterday requesting further information so at least it wasnt a straight out NO....