Summer body wanting

Longest time someone's had a band?

Hi,

As I'm researching and considering a band for myself, I'm interested to know the longest time someone has had (or knows someone has had) a band for with no or minimal complications/hassles??

Also, how successful were you/them at loosing and maintaining your weight??

I've had mine 5 years this June. It took me 15 months to loose 85kg. It has it's up and downs but honestly I would change a thing. I had a leak in my band 4 months after my original surgery but it was all replaced no problems. I also had a leak in my tubing end of last year and while waiting for surgery in January this year I put on quite a lot of kg but I wasn't being careful with what I was eating and I had a great Xmas and new year lol. I had the port and tubing replaced in January 2014 but the band is still original from 2009. Having the leak this year made me realise that I need my band. I was thinking of going to sleeve instead but after having no restriction I felt lost. What I didn't realise was how conditioned I was with my band. I actually craved the restriction and didn't ever get to a point that I didn't think about the size portion or what type of food I was eating in the months I had no fill. When I had the tube and port replaced I couldn't wait to get restriction again. It wasn't about it stopping me from eating too much it was more about feeling incomplete without it. I had spent so much time understanding my band and listening to my body that I just hadn't realised that I had permanently changed how I had adjusted how I relate to food but also how it was now apart of me, if that makes sense. I have shed my excess weight slowly but I'm also not as fixated on how much I weigh now either but more focused on what I eat. I still have a couple kgs to go but I'm feeling happy and complete again :-)

• Like 3

I've had mine 14 years. No one has ever told me my band needs to be replaced at 15 years. The surgeon I see for fills has patients over 20 years.

• Like 4

I was told by my surgeon and have seen other information about having to have it replaced around the 10-15 year mark. This is not because of expected problems, just a lack of long term information about it remaining in the body. Similar to breast implants. Some people can have it until they die and never have an issue. There haven't been enough studies to say it is safe to leave the same one in forever, so they don't. That isn't to say you can't though.

I would not have known this unless I asked my surgeon. It wasn't something he just told me. I asked, he answered and then I followed up with research.

I don't plan to have the band in place until I die. I do plan on swapping to a more permanent 'solution' once mine 'needs' replacing. Mine is nearly 3 years old - almost done with the terrible twos hahaha.

• Like 1

Hello

Joined this site today (26/10/2018).

I had my band fitted in October 1999.

Had it replaced twice due to the first 2 slipping. They were still learning how to stitch them in properly back then so they wouldn't slip.

3rd one has been stable for 17 years.

I started at 154 kgs...got down t87kgs at my lowest but comfortably hovered around 95kgs for many years. 

My weight has crept up over the last 5 years... I am now 118kgs.

I am wanting to get a sleeve or whatever the current appropriate conversion technology is. i would like to get back to around 95kgs.

Cheers

Aldo