Sign in to follow this  
Specialized29er

Survey: modern 4 cylinder hatch, whats good?

I'm wanting to buy a 2011 to 2013 4 cylinder 3 door hatch for around town and I'll leave the Commodore for towing the camper and going down the highway.

Whats good on the market today, other than my 2002 Commodore, which I love, the most modern car I'd owned before that was a 1975 Toyota Crown and the earliest a 1939 Dodge coupe.

I drive a 4cyl compact SUV but if I were to get a little run around car, I'd look at a VW Polo or Golf, Toyota Yaris (or Corolla) or a Holden Barina. In that order.

• Like 1

I have a 2012 Barina (5-door hatch though) called Spartacus and he is fantastic. My mum has a 2013 Barina Spark and it struggles with a full load but would be fine for city driving.

• Like 1

My son is a mechanic, he swears by Hyundai's...particularly the i30.

• Like 5

I have a pajero but bought a Suzuki Alto for travelling to work and back. Love my little rollerskate! Super fuel consumption, low maintenance costs and in my opinion one of the better looking little cars out there.

• Like 2

It really is personal preference and how and much you want to spend on a car ... Just go and look at all the cars available but don't give the sales guys your phone number as they will ring you and hassle u .. Or just be up front with them like I have done in the past and tell them if they ring and hassle you they will loose a possible sale... You will make your own mind up when your ready and will call them ...Good luck and happy car shopping

Nissan Pulsar's are great for low fuel consumption which is certainly a plus.

a few people at work have bought a Hyundai i30 and reckon they are great value, lots of included features, really great on fuel and lovely to drive.

I'm probably going to buy my Mum a new hatchback/small car so I have been looking at the Suzuki hatch, the Mazda 2, the Hyundai Getz and the Holden Barina as my preferences for her

i30 lover here - mines diesel 750kms to the tank

I drive a Suzuki grand vitara...but I want a little Suzuki swift to go to work and back

Last year we hired the i30 predecessor for a week. It was a great little car

Another vote for an i30, we have a 2011 CW nicknamed the Tardis.

Also consider the Kia (owned by Hyundai) or any of the Japanese 4cyl hatches would be fine.

Comes down to personal taste in style and the buying experience.

Love my Mazda !!

Got her brand new ..

My suggestion is test drive them all.

A friend bought an i30 and couldn't decide if she really liked it just by a 30 minute test drive so hired a Yaris and a i30 for a long weekend.

My husband used to sell Hyundais and we got to try out a few while he was working there. The i30s are really good. We're looking to downgrade our Nissan Pathfinder to something cheaper to run and I wouldnt mind an i30 myself. Although we've just been looking at Camrys