Miffy76

June 2014

Thanks Jayali, 26th June is the big day. I got through day 1 of Optifast. I am determined not to cheat but I know that it is going to be reeeeeeeally hard.

Lol oh I know the feeling!

After day 3 it got better for me but I must admit I was grunt throughout! Just keep thinking that this is going to make your op safer.. The smaller the liver the safer the surgery... It also kick stats your metabolism! I was banded 2 weeks ago, on Opti I lost 4kg and after op I have lost 8kg... So that's def a kick start! Lol

Good luck with it all... Drink water, diet softdrink or have some sugar free lollies when u feel like cheating :) xo

Hi all! All going well here and am now 12 days post op. Back to work tomorrow which I am dreading! Spoke with my dietician on Friday and she is wrapped with my weightloss (7.5kg since day of surgery) and happy with my attitude and overall head space (plays a huge part in recovery and the success of the band). I have been given permission as of tomorrow to move onto foods that are mushie and with a little bit of texture which I am looking forward to.

I have my two week post op appointment with my surgeon (Mr Patrick Moore) on Tuesday which I am looking forward to. His patients don't get any fill during surgery and don't usually get one until at least five weeks. That suits me as I don't want to necessarily rely on fills to get me to lose weight. I believe I need to learn so many other things which will align themselves with the fills which will help me both physically and mentally and get me to my ultimate goal! Love his philosophy and his 'rules'. His team is phenomenal and I am so glad I was referred to him!

• Like 2

YoungNewbie - Goodluck with your surgery tomorrow 16 June

LovelyCaz you are doing so great - fantastic weight loss - you sound like you are doing great!!

Everyone is doing great - Go June Crew and our other Banding friends!

YoungNewbie - Goodluck with your surgery tomorrow 16 June

LovelyCaz you are doing so great - fantastic weight loss - you sound like you are doing great!!

Everyone is doing great - Go June Crew and our other Banding friends!

Thanks Bridgey - I am so so excited! Just got my room all ready and laid out my clothes etc. No nerves yet, but they are bound to come tonight or tomorrow morning!

Well done to everyone who has been banded and about to be banded! You ladies add to my excitement daily and make me feel proud about what we are doing!

• Like 1

Good luck tomorrow young newbie on starting this new exciting journey. Let us know how you go :) xox

Optifast tip - just on 2nd Day - just had lunch - yummy - Optifast veg soup cooked with 300mls of water in a pot with 1/2 small carrot and a little broccolini. Them flavour with 1teas curry powder and a little chilli - all allowed and v tasty

Forgot. Also add a little parsley and parsley

Hi June bandits, just a quick question I'm 2 weeks post op and have transitioned to mushy foods... Just wanted to know if anyone had a weight gain when this happened? I seem to have had a 1.4kg weight gain yet I've only eaten probably 2 cups of mushy food for the entire day... Confused and very disheartening😫

Jess - can't answer this but my Dietician made it clear to only weigh myself once a week to avoid disappointment which can lead to a negative change in behaviour - not easy to stick to though.

Well, I survived my first weekend of Optifast, looking forward to Ketosis and counting down to surgery. Sorry I have been rather quiet, I have been at a conference all weekend, where there was a lot of food on offer, yummy carb ridden food. I resisted, but my head was screaming at me the whole time "just one bite". Optifast is truly disgusting, but it's not for long, right?

Saw the dietician on Friday and she was very pleased about my planning and vitamin acquiring, so that's a positive. One last appointment with the man with the knife on Tuesday morning and then only a week and one sleep until I join you on the post op side. Congratulations to everyone, you all sound like you are doing so well, and although there are obvious struggles, you seem to be overcoming them so well. Newbie27, I am so sorry to hear that you have been unwell again, I hope that everything is going well for you now.

• Like 2

Hi June bandits, just a quick question I'm 2 weeks post op and have transitioned to mushy foods... Just wanted to know if anyone had a weight gain when this happened? I seem to have had a 1.4kg weight gain yet I've only eaten probably 2 cups of mushy food for the entire day... Confused and very disheartening

Jesse this is very normal. Once you start eating again your body holds fluid. Dont stress, it will start going down again. Keep doing what you are doing and make sure you drinking enough water.

• Like 1

Thanks sav02. I was really starting to freak out! Good luck Bridgey

Good luck today YoungNewbie and let us know how it went when you're able. 

Thanks Lissy- I seem to be much better again and hoping to stay that way. I think I just got super unlucky catching a stomach bug right after banding but it seems to have resolved itself.

Yesterday I rewarded myself with an early birthday present of a food processor as I don't mind cooking but am generally time poor and hate the prep work. Lack of planning is often my down fall so I'm trying to get myself organised.  I did a batch cook up of 4 different dishes that use mince and were packed with veggies (2 asian, 1 italian and 1 mexican). Unfortunately after pureeing them they all look like, well, let's just say they're not aesthetically pleasing! I was surprised that they still taste good after being blended, but it is a bit weird eating pureed meat. I've portioned them and put in containers so I have no excuses when I get hungry as I have enough healthy, band friendly, ready-to-go meals to last me the 2 week puree phase and I can easily take them for work lunches too. I offered to put aside some of each food before pureeing them for my partner, but she's so supportive that she is insisting on eating the puree version with me.

Jesse, I totally agree about with the others- weight gain is normal at this stage and weighing yourself weekly at the most is by far the most sensible thing to do. I don't have scales at home as I am unable to stop myself from weighing myself obsessively when trying to lose weight if scales are in the house. For now I'll just weigh in at clinic appointments and will think about getting home scales when I'm more confident I can stick to weekly weigh ins.  

In regards to questions around the time between banding and getting the first fill, I wanted to share some advice my dietitian gave me. I was asking her about things such as whether weight gain was normal in this period, what if I get hungry as swelling goes down before restriction is achieved and I need to eat more then recommended in order to be satisfied, what if I needed more then 3x 1/2 cup portions to get the recommended protein amounts- should I stick to the half cup rule over the protein rule, etc, etc? Her advice was this: "you only get one shot at healing, you have the rest of your life to work on the weight loss". So, while you are waiting for your first fill, it's most important to give yourself enough protein and to focus on wellbeing rather then weight loss. It's a good time to organise yourself, arm yourself with knowledge and get into good habits; but mistakes and a focus outside of weight gain is okay in this period as long as your doing what is best for recovery. 

• Like 1

YoungNewbie's surgery day today - Goodluck!!

Good post Newbie 27. We all need to remember that portions and the exact balance is essential to make sure we don't stress our wounds and that we heal.

Post Op my Dietician was really strict about amounts and what you eat for the first 10 days - I then need to meet with her again for next steps.

Protien is essential for healing

Daily

2 to 3 Optifast

Drinks with no fizz

1 Yakhalt

120ml or apple or pear juice

1 cup of veg, tomato or V8

1 Cup of think strained soup, miso or broth

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I am now home in my own bed.

I was first operated today so that was at 8 AM. Woke up in recovery in some serious pain in my stomach, I apparently was trying to get up and get the drip out etc (don't remember much but that pain!) Some good pain relief was given and I was fine after a bit, only felt really sore and heavy and incesion pain but that is all barable! I was up walking around soon after, almost fainted but after that was all good. Had to stay longer then I should have been and I wasn't able to go to the toilet and pass urine.

Time for a little nap I think!

Oh any suggestions on how to get soulable panadol down if you feel really full and can't drink anymore? I've had half the glass but can not get anything more down!

• Like 1

What does everyone have in the morning during the liquid stage? I'm think up and go or v8 juice - is there anything else?

Lunch and dinners can just be soups so that's alright!

What does everyone have in the morning during the liquid stage? I'm think up and go or v8 juice - is there anything else?

Lunch and dinners can just be soups so that's alright!

Some non fat milk with Sustagen or equivalent protein powder, I put a teaspoon of drinkable yoghurt into non fat milk and stirred it up and sipped on that. Hot tea/coffee, fruit (thinnish) smoothies or shakes, egg flip (drink) and I often went back to the Optifast shakes. I still do have them a couple of times a week.

Some non fat milk with Sustagen or equivalent protein powder, I put a teaspoon of drinkable yoghurt into non fat milk and stirred it up and sipped on that. Hot tea/coffee, fruit (thinnish) smoothies or shakes, egg flip (drink) and I often went back to the Optifast shakes. I still do have them a couple of times a week.

Oh good idea with the yoghurt! I have what I think are hungry pains, so I have bit of v8 juice and it goes away so that's alright.

Really uncomfortable at the moment can't sleep which sucks!

That sucks, YoungNewbie- sleep is good and importnt! The discomfort should lessen each day and be gone before you know it. Is it pain or discomfort? I found de-gas helped. Like Angel Butterfly, I also found optifast was an easy breakfast sometimes, but if you're sick of it from the pre op diet, up and go or equivalent is also a great choice. 

For breakfast I'm allowed yogurt, not the thick Greek style ones but the yoplait type is fine. I'm not a breakfast eater anyway so tend to just have some tea. Lunch and dinner is normally pumpkin or tomato soup.

It's appt with my surgeon tomorrow, 2 weeks post op so hopefully I can start having more normal food. Bit over soup to be honest.

Day six of Optifast OMG I'm struggling! I work in a kitchen so I'm around food all day long......so very hard to resist. Just made the optifast cookies not bad at all, it felt good to chew something oh well only 9 more days till surgery. Cheers everyone....... hope all June banders are doing well and everyone else for that matter

Poor MyHolly - your job is a shocker

I am day 3 and it is not easy

My saviour is the Optifast choc bars and as previous post the veg soup done on the stove top with carrot, broccolini, parsley with chill and curry

Tonight I am going to have chicken pho without the noodles (I am allowed 2 cups of veg and a small protein serve daily)

Goodluck - your surgeon will love your little liver!!!