Sign in to follow this  
MissyO

Best Investment = Slow Cookers!

Any of you fellow Bandits have a slow cooker? I do and I've started to use it again now in the cooler months. Can make such wicked and tasty meals...I divide it in portions, which normally something that may serve 4 I can get 6 or more servings out of it. And it's really good when your meat is slow cooked cuz it's a slider that way. I'm actually hoping to cook more vegetarian type dishes with my slow cooker as I wanna kinda go vegan

• Like 1

Missy I love my slow cooker. Sundays I make soups or stews and just freeze it in small portions. Tastes great and minimal effort.

• Like 1

I love my slow cooker and I also own a pressure cooker (same kind of cooking only much, much faster)

I love that I can have 'slow cooker style lamb shanks' cooked in 45 minutes, or a risotto cooked in under 10 minutes

• Like 1

I love my slow cooker. Its a winter must have item. Things i like to cook in it:

- thai green curry

- roast lamb

- pot roast

- beef stroganoff

- lamb shanks

- apricot chicken

- spaghetti and meatballs

• Like 2

My family uses the slow cooker quite often, at least once a week. I love to throw in all the leftover veg at the end of the week with some meat and make a casserole.

• Like 2

If you are going vegan, make sure that you are getting plenty of protein from other sources. I'm sure you already know that, though. :)

• Like 1

Argh I want a slow cooker! but I am too scared to leave the house with it on and also my brother and sister will likely interfere with it during the day. 

• Like 1

I love my slow cooker - I like Kazbo also have a pressure cooker and its brilliant! 

I never leave the house when its on (I'm scared too Natasha haha) but put it on right before I go to bed so it cooks through the night, then just put into containers and in the fridge for the day or take some for lunch. 

There is a fabulous group on facebook for slow cooking - they aren't all healthy but could be modified to be a bit better and all seem band friendly 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SlowCookerRecipes4Families/?fref=ts

• Like 3

haha dont be scared! unless you have dodgey outlets, there's nothing to worry about. i'll admit, i dont work so i dont leave it on whilst im out ALL day. But i will leave it on while i run a few errands or go shopping. :) just leave it on a bench, in the middle, away from the wall and dont have anything on the bench too close to it. its fiiiiine :)

• Like 3

Yeah I cant leave home with it on either... Thats why I do it on a Sunday lol

• Like 1

I love my slow cooker - I like Kazbo also have a pressure cooker and its brilliant! 

I never leave the house when its on (I'm scared too Natasha haha) but put it on right before I go to bed so it cooks through the night, then just put into containers and in the fridge for the day or take some for lunch. 

There is a fabulous group on facebook for slow cooking - they aren't all healthy but could be modified to be a bit better and all seem band friendly 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SlowCookerRecipes4Families/?fref=ts

Yum!  Have joined and had a good look around at recipes.  I'm thinking I'll borrow Mums small 1.5L slow cooker to try some of the deserts.

• Like 1

Love my slow cooker do all sorts in it and so good and band friendly

• Like 1

I have had one for many years and leave it on all day while I am at work...never had a problem.

Would love a thermomix as well....anyone got one? Is it worth the 2K?

• Like 1

I have had one for many years and leave it on all day while I am at work...never had a problem.

I would love a Thermomix too but can't justify the outlay. Everyone who has one swears by it and they never come up second hand which is a pretty good testament in itself.

• Like 1

Target has a very good version for only a fraction of the cost. I bought one to see if I would use it, I'm not much of a cook but I can see that if you are it's a wonderful friend. Try it first, has a 12 month warranty and being target they replace it or give you your money back if it breaks. Win win.

I have the Bellini cooker that you are referring to Ada...I first got one when they came out and it was replaced by Bellini when they had a recall.  I'll admit I've hardly used it!  Just the last month actually after owning it for almost 2 years!  So, I've done a whole orange cake (with lemons though) that came out great (I would usually do that in the food processor) and sauteed veggies for cottage pie.  Also did a really nice soup.  And rice numerous times since I melted my tupperware rice cooker.

My  SIL got the Thermomix in January and her life has changed!  She is a slave to it!  She has changed her cooking style/habits so much.  Makes everything from scratch when before she was a packet kind of cook.  I have always been the kind of cook that cooks from scratch so it wouldn't change my life that much.  My brother and nephews though are loving the new creations! 

There is a great Bellini group on Facebook.  Many of the girls on there are doing the same thing with Bellini compared to the Thermomix.  The Bellini is a great way to see if you would really use a Thermomix before shelling out the $2000.

The biggest difference between the machines seems to be the reliability.  The Bellini is known for breaking down but like Ada mentions, take it back to Target and get a refund or replacement.

I leave my slow cooker on all day while I'm at work and I've never had an issue.

I make slow cooked lamb shanks, chicken curry etc.

• Like 1

I find steak hard to eat as even the best steak can be quite stringy as you chew a mouthful, but now I have my slowcookers out for the winter I am stunned by how tender ordinary old gravy beef is after 6 hrs on slow.  I know I need to have some red meat for the iron, so I find the slowcooker method makes beef 'possible' again.  I use my small one for smaller meals and the big one for bulk meals like soups with stock bones in.

Any meat cooks better in a slowcooker if you sear it first in a pan to seal in the juices.  I sear my meat and chop the veges and herbs etc while I am cooking the evening meal,  and let it cool.  Then I put it in an oven bag with stock, herbs, tinned tomatoes, red wine, chopped veges and sit the bag in a bowl in the fridge overnight to marinade nicely.  In the morning as I leave for work I just lift the bag into the slow cooker, put the lid on, turn it to low and head off for the day.  The oven bag makes it easier to clean the ceramic bowl of the cooker. 

You can even just slowcook a chicken (cut down the spine and flatten it out) in stock during the day to use for other recipes at night  - like almost instant asian chicken noodle soup. Strain stock off and skim off fat with a spoon or piece of dry bread, then add water if needed, noodles, slivered spring onions and broccoli, bean sprouts and coriander,  and break some of the cooked chicken into it.  Keep the rest of the chicken meat for other recipes over next couple of days.

• Like 4

I love steak in the slow cooker! Sear it for a bit of colour and lay it in the bottom, then put a piece of foil over the top. Wrap a few potatoes that have been pierced a few times with a dob of butter/olive oil in tin foil and pop on top for 5 hours then serve up with steamed veg. I haven't struggled with slow cooked steak but if done on the BBQ I don't have a chance of getting it down

I think I need to invest in a slow cooker!

• Like 2

Why do you want to go vegan ??

It's just a personal choice and finding I'm eating less red meat and the white meat. But I still love my seafood especially salmon â˜ºï¸ But I know I must replace the meat with protein enriched foods

• Like 1

It's just a personal choice and finding I'm eating less red meat and the white meat. But I still love my seafood especially salmon â˜ºï¸ But I know I must replace the meat with protein enriched foods

I personally think it would be very difficult to go vegan and still be getting the amount of protein that a bandit/sleever needs. Its definitely your own personal choice but id encourage you to consult your dietician and see if they can help you with correct meal plans that can give you everything you need on a vegan diet :)

I dont understand why anybody would go vegan lol but all the best of luck if thats what you want :)

• Like 1

I want to invest in a slow cooker too Ada. I'm going to get one soon that's for sure, any one got any suggestions on what to buy (or more importantly what to avoid)?

• Like 1

No idea Rlar, I bought my slow cooker while living in Thailand, at $5 what a bargain...

• Like 3