chunky_dunk

A funny surgery day story. :)

So I was banded on Friday.

Before my surgery, the anaesthetist came to see me in my room.

He stood beside my bed and was flicking through all my pre-op test results.

"Blood pressure is fine, cholesterol is fine, no diabetes, you're in pretty good health!"

Me, being me, can't resist a bad joke, so I add, "Yeah, for a fat person."

I shit you not, he looked right at me and said, "Awww, you're not fat!"

Ummm.... what?

Hahaha! I looked at my mum and we both started laughing.

Then, just to add some more humour to the situation, I got his itemised bill in the mail today, and there is an extra $70+ charge because I'm overweight! Hahaha!

It makes me laugh so much that 'fat' is such a negative word, and when people hear it, their instant reaction is like 'don't put yourself down!'

But I wasn't putting myself down. I was being truthful. I am in good health for a fat person. Because I am a fat person! And my weight was the entire reason we were having a conversation in the first place! Hahaha!

• Like 15

Hahaha classic and it's so true. On occasion I will be blunt and say oh its because Im fat or whatever and people's automatic reaction is to say oh your not fat...lol I feel like saying seriously do you need glasses!?! When I had lap band done in Feb I was like 170kg and on occasion people would still say that!   Hope all went well with your surgery :-)

• Like 2

I hate it when ppl say you're not that fat... OR

I love my husband to death and he is always telling me how sexy I am but then we will be somewhere and he will comment on someone saying they are fat and shouldn't wear whatever they are wearing but then the person will be thinner than me! I blame the love goggles... He clearly doesn't see my fat lol although since dropping almost 15kg's he has definitely noticed *eg*

• Like 3

I'd refuse to pay the extra $70 charge and tell him a mistake has been made on the bill as he clearly told you, to your face and with a witness in the room, that you're not fat.

• Like 10

Lol i used to make jokes like that too, i think a lot of overweight people do, almost to just let other people know that it hasnt escaped our knowledge that yes, we do actually know we're fat, so you dont need to point it out for us.

But i think we underestimate how uncomfortable it makes other people because they dont know how to react. I hate when my husband says it about himself, even though i know he has developed a belly since we've been together. Even as a former (and still a bit) fat person, i dont like hearing it either.

• Like 3

So I was banded on Friday.

Before my surgery, the anaesthetist came to see me in my room.

He stood beside my bed and was flicking through all my pre-op test results.

"Blood pressure is fine, cholesterol is fine, no diabetes, you're in pretty good health!"

Me, being me, can't resist a bad joke, so I add, "Yeah, for a fat person."

I shit you not, he looked right at me and said, "Awww, you're not fat!"

Ummm.... what?

Hahaha! I looked at my mum and we both started laughing.

Then, just to add some more humour to the situation, I got his itemised bill in the mail today, and there is an extra $70+ charge because I'm overweight! Hahaha!

It makes me laugh so much that 'fat' is such a negative word, and when people hear it, their instant reaction is like 'don't put yourself down!'

But I wasn't putting myself down. I was being truthful. I am in good health for a fat person. Because I am a fat person! And my weight was the entire reason we were having a conversation in the first place! Hahaha!

lol @ the irony

• Like 1

Heres a funny surgery day story, when I went into surgery, I was wearing those paper panties and when I woke up I wasn't wearing any so what happened.   :blink:

• Like 5

Lol. I too had a similar experience. I had to go for my pre admission appointment the other day for my bypass op on the 19th June and the nurse asked me if I had any incontinence problems. I told her I had three children, previous kidney stones, bladder infections, diabetes and I was fat so of course I had incontinence problems. She too went on to say..."you are not fat"... I then gave her the look...... And asked her if she knew what operation I was having. We did have a bit of a giggle together after that. She was lovely and just being nice. I think most people are genuinely nice and struggle when people seem to put themselves down. However as you say the reality is you are just being truthful and I much prefer to call myself fat than obese. I dislike that word intensely.

Klara

• Like 3