Sign in to follow this  
coffee61

Band to sleeve is it going to help

Hi all , I have had the band for neatly 2years . I gave lost approx 40 kg, but the last 6 months have not lost any weight, because my band is too tight I can only set soup or chocolate. I just hopped on the scales and I have put on 6 kg, obviously by eating choc and ice cream, I am booked to get band removed in 2 months , and then sleeve after that, but my question is: will it help with being able to eat normal foods like chicken and meat,? At the moment I cannot so I live on junk! Or will it be the same and I will not loose weight

I can't answer your band to sleeve question but have you tried taking some fil out.

Sometimes a little fluid out helps a lot. I went for a fil yesterday and my doc told me that with the new syringes they can remove the tiniest bit. I had .25 put in and she said if it was too much to come back and she would remove half what went in.

I know where you are coming from, for a long time I lived on fluids...which included thickshakes & chocolates. A tight band is not worth it, better to have it looser and eat a sensible healthy way.

• Like 2

I re-read your post and mine, I am not trying to turn you against the sleeve. My thought was to get you through the next two months.

• Like 1

With the sleeve you are able to eat pretty much anything, healthy or unhealthy, most of us find that there are some foods that we don't tolerate as well as we did pre sleeve, mine is mashed potato, it just doesn't seem to sit well, but what foods don't sit right varies greatly person to person. Like the band the sleeve is just a tool and you still need to make the right choices about what you are eating in order to lose weight.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Thankyou for your replies, yes I know they are only "tools" but it is so hard just to live on soup all the time as with the band I cannot tolerate anything, if I release some fluid then I am hungry I cannot get that happy medium

Hi Coffee61

I can eat pretty much anything (I haven't tried steak yet though, the opportunity hasn't come up). I can eat fruit with the sleeve (largely unheard of with the band for me unless it was peeled/stewed or something soft and easy such as a banana). I can eat tomatoes and other foods with skin with the sleeve (again, difficult with the band...not impossible but very difficult and a hit and miss).

I can eat bread but I find that it makes my allergies flare up and fills me up too fast in any case. I prefer to eat wraps/tortillas instead. I can eat omelettes, yoghurt, custard, thick soups with the sleeve (I never could with the band, they'd get chucked up as they would sit above my band and then I'd PB them). Pasta sits like cement in my tummy and feels blurgh so I don't bother with that anymore.

The thing I really can't do is a noodle-style soup such as Vietnamese pho or Thai laksa (because of the no eating/drinking at the same time). That said, I can choose to drink the liquid OR eat the noodles/meat/etc and save the rest for later if I wish.

• Like 1

Thanks Kazbo, so you have gone from band to sleeve? I am booked but still not sure. It is so difficult to go out to dinner , puts stress on

the rest of my family if soup isn't on the menu. Just scared of what could happen, I have heard surgery is dangerious. My doctor has told me about the dangers.

mmm Don't Know, All I know is that since not been able to eat properly I eat chocolate and ice cream and now I have out on weight :(

yes I have gone from band to sleeve and it has been the best thing I have ever done.

Yes the risk of complications are increased and if they occur, they can be catastrophic. However, in the big scheme of things, the actual chance of something catastrophic happening are still very, very small.

I was super scared and super cautious in the first 8 weeks but now I am 3 months post op and it is all a distant memory, I am conscious of possible over eating and I am aware that a leak or bleed can happen at any time...but...I just live a normal life, eating normal healthy food (and sometimes not so healthy but let's not go there :) )

Quite frankly if I could only manage soups, ice cream or chocolate, I would have got the damned thing removed a LONG time ago - that is NOT a normal way to eat and is not doing you any favours. Comparing the band and the sleeve is like comparing night and day - they affect me so very differently.

Research, research, research. Ask questions. This is your decision.

• Like 1

I also had my band removed, and I'm scheduled for a sleeve in August.

I had issues like Kazbo, but mine basically involved being able to keep down sliders (hello my favourite ice cream and chocolate that got me fat in the first place) and struggle with chicken and other proteins, salad and generally anything that wasn't slathered in some kind of sauce to force it down. My stuck moments would never clear themselves and I was in the ER 3 x getting assistance... that's when my surgeon and I decided to call it quits on my band.

I believe with the sleeve if you are disciplined and don't use your small tummy to consume only the wrong things - then yes, you can be successful. That's what I'm counting on :)

• Like 1

BTW, who is your surgeon? You should definitely be discussing this. Your surgeon should be on YOUR side and should be telling you that having only liquids is not healthy and not how the band is designed to work.

Hi thankyou so much for all your input. I go to circle of care. I have an appointment to discuss these problems in a few weeks. But I have already booked my surgery as there is such a wait, and my life is pretty busy.