Sign in to follow this  
Angel Butterfly

The Men Who Made Us Thin

Tonight the ABC is showing a doco at 9.30pm called The Men Who Made Us Thin. It is a follow on from the 3 part series The Men Who Made Us Fat.

It is covering diets including Slimfast to Dukan Diets and discussion with Weight Watchers former money man. (I bet he is a rich SOB).

It's a 3 part series again and Jacques Peretti is a pretty good presenter.

• Like 8

Thanks Angel, very interesting, I dread to think how many thousands I have spent on the "quick fix miracle" - as the guy from WW said, if it worked first time they wouldn't have made so much money.  And true about your body going into starvation mode, your stomach thinking your throat has been cut! and each time I have dieted and given up, I have put on more weight than I started off with.  I am so happy that my last resort has been the band, where I now know that I HAVE to change my habits for the rest of my life, and am happy to not have the expectation anymore of being thin, but being healthy and fit as my goal.  xx

• Like 3

I started watching but fell asleep, lucky I had the sense to record it so will watch it some time over the weekend

• Like 2

I thought it was interesting that it was based on the idea that all these diets and products essentially don't work and evidence to prove it so.

Bottom line is that the reason most of them don't work is because the people don't stick to them or cant stick to them, then they launch into the starvation mode where your body regains what you've lost and a little more. 

I yelled hallelujah, when the presenter was trying to discredit the Slimright guy, who said "but only you're in charge of you, right?" Absolutely I say! Its only you that can make the frikkin diet work! You need to be committed and that's all there is about it.

I don't believe diets should be bagged for not performing, when the diets/lifestyle changes work just fine - with the exception of stupid fad diets. The problem is that people generally aren't able to stick with them or change their lifestyles adequately for them (the diets) to be deemed a success. Its not the diet that fails, its the person's commitment to the task that isn't up to par to see it through.

I'm very well aware that I too, am one of these people that was never able to stick to any kind of diet/lifestyle plan for too long. I'd lose a few kilos, start looking better, get cocky, then start testing the boundaries with cheats. I'd continue adding more cheats until the scales started going upwards, then I'd give up and wait until the next diet came along and had a go at that.

If some brilliant scientist could develop a drug that works for overweight people, like Champix works for smokers, that scientist will be the wealthiest person in the world. Champix alters how your brain views/deals with smoking, making it unpleasant. We need one that works for food!!!

• Like 4

Kaz I don't think the weight loss company bosses would "allow" a drug to hit the market that would work. They are making way too much money with so many pills that don't.

• Like 3

Thanks for this link. I haven't watched it yet, but will have a look on iView.

I remember Dr. Phil actually saying something once about 'dieting'... It's not that the diet (usually based on deprivation) doesn't work per se, as all diets will work, it's merely the sustainability which is the problem. He said it's like driving along a highway, putting your car on cruise control, and then believing you can take a nap! Our egos trick us into believing we're ok, or we're successful simply because we've made some progress. It's that whole, "I deserve that TimTam because I've worked really hard and lost 10kgs already" mentality! I think this is also why so many people will have limited success with any 'restriction' based diet before they fall off the wagon. It's not just "will power", it's in our nature to feel entitled at times, and that's sadly where we fail...

• Like 3

I agree Little_Birdie, and I am fighting that now. There's been lots of little unhealthy foods sneaking in at a bite at a time and I think "Oh, it doesn't matter cos I can only have a tiny bit and my weight is still going down.". Well add them up and they matter and the weight loss is slowing! Note to self, must try harder...

• Like 4

Kaz I don't think the weight loss company bosses would "allow" a drug to hit the market that would work. They are making way too much money with so many pills that don't.

So you think one or more other companies are going to be able to stop another company from bringing to market a drug that would make them billions of dollars. Good luck with that. The best thing they would be able to do would be to try and prove it is unsafe and should be taken off the market but that would require them to spend money trying to achieve that.

• Like 2

The reason diets normally fail is because throughout our evolution there has never been an advantage for humans to be able to easily lose weight, quite the opposite. We are designed to be able to gain weight easy so that it increases our odds of survival when a famine comes or when are sick. There's never been a time before now where our general population health would be better if we could lose weight as historically it's always been the other way around. So it's not just a matter of "willpower" but it's actually that you are fighting against our biology to force our body to lose weight through voluntarily restricting calories (ie starving) for a long period of time in an environment where food is easily available. This is why diets fail because you need to have an extremely strong motivation that is not easily going to change for wanting to stick with the diet.

• Like 5

First episode is on abc iview so can watch online. Just google abc iview men who made us thin and the link will come up.

• Like 2

i found it excellent, saw it on iview

• Like 2

The men that made us thin was interesting and really pissed me off... A life of yo yo dieting and god knows how much I've spent on crap... I have a daughter and every diet book is in the bin, I just hope with changes I've made in myself I can be a good role model

• Like 2