Maria Maria

Altitude and Lap Band

Hi Everyone :)

I am travelling to Tibet in the next few months and was wondering if the high altitude of the Tibetan mountains would affect my lap band in any way? I also would like to know if flying in an airplane would affect my lap band in any way?  Your experiences and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. 

Looking forward to reading your replies :)

• Like 1

Maria Maria, I can not answer this from personal experience but have read posts on travel and the band. From what I've read everyone has different experiences with it. I guess it depends on what zone you are in with the band. If you are still unsure after others have posted go and talk to your doctor about your concerns.

• Like 1

Air travel can make the lap band tighter due to the pressure in the cabin. You should talk to your surgeon about your trip and get some fill removed to avoid any possible complications overseas.

Also ensure you are covered by travel insurance just in case.

• Like 3

hi - I went to Italy in December last year, and was based in quite hilly mountains. I found that as we drove up higher and higher, the band did tighten, similar to how it did in the plane. So, for me, yes it did have an impact with a change in altitude. I had 1ml removed before going as a precaution and very glad I did - a few things did get stuck when I was there though that hadn't happened at home...

• Like 2

Hi Maria,

I have travelled overseas and within Australia a lot and my band actually tightens up and I find I can not eat while I am flying, after each flight I would also have to go and have some more fill put into my band! I think the altitude deflates it a little and I have been told by my doctor this is very common with lap band.  I know each person is different so you may be fine, you will feel it once you are in the air and you will know. Best of luck and have a great holiday :D 

• Like 2

I'm one of those people that flights doesn't impact my band. I've been to a mountain in Switzerland and also nothing. So I guess everyone is different.

• Like 2

Thanks Missy Belle...Im very grateful for yours and everyones responses. Im very curious as to how my stomach/band will react and will certainly post on here. I hope it helps others also.

Thanks for your time everyone :)

• Like 1

Ive flown twice this week and had no issues!

• Like 1

Flying definitely affects my band!!!

• Like 2

I've never had any change in my band after flying either :) not sure about the mountains.

But wherever you are going, definitely get travel insurance. Poor Beth had a horrible experience with her band on her honeymoon and it turned out to be VERY expensive for her.

• Like 2

I've never had any change in my band after flying either :) not sure about the mountains.

But wherever you are going, definitely get travel insurance. Poor Beth had a horrible experience with her band on her honeymoon and it turned out to be VERY expensive for her.

And make sure they specifically cover the lapband! We paid extra on our honeymoon for the travel health insurance to specifically cover lapbanding, and didn't actually need to use it, but it was so worth having complete peace of mind. No regrets whatsoever!

• Like 2

I've flown long and short haul and no difference for me.