No private health insurance - Darwin

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi ladies and gents!

I saw my GP today and he has sent off a referral for me to see Dr Treacy. So just waiting for them to call me or I call them to get the ball rolling.

I'm a little bit concerned about the price of this procedure which makes me a little angry, cause I shouldn't be worried about the money side of things cause this has got to do with my health! But anyways, I don't have private health, just Medicare and I don't really want to wait 12 months.

Has anyone in darwin paid for the procedure themselves? If so, how much TOTAL was everything?

Posted · Report post

I'm not from that way sorry, I'm from melbourne. I was banded on Monday 23rd June. I did it without PHI and it cost me $10,500. Follow up consults and fills are free. I get a Medicare rebate from the anethesist and that's it I think and then at tax time apparently.. But I am getting phi sometime soon because i don't want to fork out a heap incase of complications. Good luck

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I'm not from that way sorry, I'm from melbourne. I was banded on Monday 23rd June. I did it without PHI and it cost me $10,500. Follow up consults and fills are free. I get a Medicare rebate from the anethesist and that's it I think and then at tax time apparently.. But I am getting phi sometime soon because i don't want to fork out a heap incase of complications. Good luck

Just check the tax rules on getting money back for medical. I think they changed last year and this is the final year you can claim and only if you claimed last year too. Sucks big time. I thought I'd get a heap back last year and got nothing because they changed the rules.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Oh no!!! Thanks for letting me know Ada I really hope I an get some back!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hiya Ali_Cat

I'm sorry I can't answer what you are after but I am also in Darwin :-) 

I am being banded by Dr Bessell from Adelaide who comes up to Darwin on 28 August.  I have PHI and my out of pocket it nearly $4000 all up.  This includes my psych and dietician consults via Skype.  Unfortunately SKYPE consults can't be claimed back from PH so have to pay that in full.

If Dr Traecy is too expensive maybe you could give Dr Bessell's rooms (Innovations Health Care) a ring and find out costs with them.

Good luck with all :-)

Posted · Report post

Super can be accesed early for Lap ban, a loan but in all honestly sign up and wait the 12 momths - makes great financial sense. Esspecially if there is a mid operation complication like a hernia- very common.

best of luck.

Posted · Report post

yes I am self funded unfortunately, $14,500 for me. But I see it as an investment on my future! I do not want to die from a heart attack or high cholesterol ...... and / or diebeties ..... I have worked hard all my life and doing this for ME.

I have no idea what I MAY get back from medicare but we shall see.

Wishing you all the very best.

Posted · Report post

But I am getting phi sometime soon because i don't want to fork out a heap incase of complications.

mee to mate, I joined the entire family up last week!

Posted · Report post

Hi,

i haven't been on for ages but can try to answer your question. I was banded under PHI by Dr Treacy and it cost me about $2500 out of pocket. A year after I was banded a friend had his done by Dr Treacy without health cover and it cost him $17000. Hope that helps. Sometimes, the 12 month wait is worth it but these days check that you are covered with whatever health fund you decide to join. Good luck!