SAeeyorechick

Surgery at Ashford hospital?

Hi,

Just wanting to ask if any fellow south Aussies had their surgery at the ashford hospital? Just enquiring if they have wifi and also how you found the nursing staff?

Thanks so much xx :)

I had mine at the Ashford. I dont remember about the wifi but the staff and facilities are great. Had a better experience there than i did at Flinders when my son was born. Staff are very friendly and attentive.

• Like 1

I did, it was ok but HDU is a sucky place to spend the night. Don't know about WiFi, I was too tired and grumpy and in pain to need it!

• Like 1

I was done at Ashford by Dr Teague. Don't think there is Wifi but the staff are absolutely amazing!!

• Like 1

Thanks all for your replies, my surgeon said I could be in there for up to five days so trying to think of things I can bring to keep me occupied :)

I took a Harry Potter book lol. But i was only there overnight.

May I ask why 5 days, and who is your surgeon? Most people done by the AOC (Dr Teague) are only overnight, unless there are complications. But it's different for each surgeon.

Hi rumplebear, my surgeon Dr France said due to my diabetes (which now is totally normal and I've been off metformin for over a week)

so I'm hoping if it stays that way he may reduce it to three, and also I've had an open surgery to remove my gall bladder so he said there may be some extensive scarring from that which they will have to get through. They were the only reasons he gave. But he has been fantastic, very caring and happily and patiently answered all my questions. Lovely bloke.

I'm getting quite nervous now!! One more sleep :)

It'll be fine! Fingers crossed for you. Don't be afraid to ask the nursing staff for stronger pain relief if you need it, everyone's different and I needed lots! Others just seem to breeze through. Take it easy for a few days after, I rested for a week, then started walking again. Take fibre supplements!!

I actually found the HDU to be much better than I expected.  The nurses were lovely and it was nice to think that there was someone around if you needed something rather than being isolated in a room.  The bays were a lot more private than I expected with solid walls on three sides and then a curtain at the front.  A bit noisy with people's machines beeping all night but I was so tired from the anesthesia that I slept ok.  Don't remember about wifi because I loaded up my tablet with tv shows and just watched that instead.

• Like 1

I actually barely slept at all, too much noise from machines and nurses checking on people during the night. was knackered the next day and was relieved to go home and get a decent sleep.

• Like 1

Going home today!!! So relieved, the nursing staff have been absolute champions and so lovely. Feeling a lot better, pain is minimal and nauseous feeling is getting less and less each day. Just been on oral panadol, parriet and buscopan. Been able to finish each opti over a couple of hours and my water intake has been one litre per day. If I'm being honest, I'm very grateful for this surgery and the future that will be ahead of me. But in another way I'm still mad at myself that It needed to happen. Maybe that will get less with time and I see results. I was so happy with how I was going on the opti, lost about 13kg. Anyway end rant, sorry :( I'm just so very grateful to be going home and to sleep in my own bed. Thanks xx

• Like 1

It's always nice to get home. Don't be surprised to find the hunger returns pretty quickly and the weightloss slows dramatically for some after the surgery. I lost 15 on optifast over 5 weeks, then it dropped right off. I feel on track now though. Glad to hear you didn't have an awful time of it!

sorry if I have reopened this topic but it would be good to hear more about ashford as I am torn between ashford and Dr Bessell