kazbo

Why you don't drink with meals - YouTube video

I can't see it either, but the surgeons at Centre for Bariatric surgery in Melbourne say it's fine now. (So long as you wait the obligatory one minute after swallowing food).

• Like 2

I can't see it either, but the surgeons at Centre for Bariatric surgery in Melbourne say it's fine now. (So long as you wait the obligatory one minute after swallowing food).

Ditto @ error for video not found and yes, I was told it was okay to sip a drink during a meal as well, and I have done so since with no problems.

• Like 1

I've heard a lot of people say its okay to have a little drink, but just in case I dont anyway. I have a drink before i eat and then its not hard to wait unti lafter a meal to drink.

• Like 1

sorry guys - search on YouTube for Former Fat Dudes why you shouldn't drink when eating

basically it's a demonstration as to how drink can wash food through the band/sleeve/bypass pouch. I found it a very effective demonstration and interesting

My surgeon stills says no drinking with meals and for the most part I stick with that. When eating out with a group I do take small sips with my meal occasionally if I feel too self conscious just sitting there waiting to take my next bite when no one knows about my procedure. 

I don't feel like it makes any difference to my portion size

• Like 2

when I was banded I was warned to never drink with a meal because it washes food through the band, just as demonstrated in the video.

The only time that I did was to remove a blockage.

I was initially told not to drink for at least 30 minutes before or after meals. But now I generally have a drink before meals as I feel like it prepares me better for food and after, once I've decided I've had enough. I think that's ok, since I've already decided not to eat anything else, so I'm not in danger of overeating by washing food through the band.

• Like 2

when I was banded I was warned to never drink with a meal because it washes food through the band, just as demonstrated in the video.

The only time that I did was to remove a blockage.

Ive tried to "wash" through a blockage a few times but for me it just makes it worse lol.

• Like 2

Are we looking at this the wrong way?

If you are using drinks to assist with swallowing the correct food in the correct amount, I don't see an issue (neither does my Surgeon)

If you are using the drink to help swallow more food or the wrong types of food then you have an issue with what you are putting in your mouth!

If you are going to sabotage the band (or sleeve) why not stick everything in a blender and blend it down to a liquid, no PB or stuck moments with that method!

From what I have read on here and the broader WWW, everything we do may be right or everything may be wrong depending on what spin and which person/group you ask.

The only guidance I take note off is from my Surgeon and his Dietitian/Doctors who actually know who I am and what is happening to my body.

This approach avoids the misinformation provided by various people who believe they are right and we MUST follow only their advice.

Apologies if my view offend others!

• Like 2

Are we looking at this the wrong way?

If you are using drinks to assist with swallowing the correct food in the correct amount, I don't see an issue (neither does my Surgeon)

If you are using the drink to help swallow more food or the wrong types of food then you have an issue with what you are putting in your mouth

This is a good point. Unfortunately the wrong foods all seem to slide through just fine. Ive only ever had to try to wash through a piece of cold chicken other other meat that was a leftover.

I dont mind listening to what everybody else is saying,its interesting to see how medical advice differs between doctors, but at the end of the day i follow my own doctor's advice as well. I was told no drinking with meals, so I dont. :)

But like you said, if you are eating the right food, in the right portion, with the right drink....then i dont see why you couldnt drink with a meal.

• Like 1

When I was newly banded I was sipping with my meals...thinking I was doing the right thing. Turns out I was washing food through the band.

I was eating healthy, appropriate food and had no idea that I was doing myself a disservice.

daBounce you might think it's 'okay' to wash healthy/appropriate food through the band. if that works for you then knock yourself out.I agree that washing inappropriate/unhealthy food through the band is not helpful.

I posted this link up to those who may not realise that they are doing this and to help new bandits to avoid this kind of rookie mistake...if this type of information offends you then please don't bother commenting...keep scrolling.  

• Like 1

When I was newly banded I was sipping with my meals...thinking I was doing the right thing. Turns out I was washing food through the band.

I was eating healthy, appropriate food and had no idea that I was doing myself a disservice.

daBounce you might think it's 'okay' to wash healthy/appropriate food through the band. if that works for you then knock yourself out.I agree that washing inappropriate/unhealthy food through the band is not helpful.

I posted this link up to those who may not realise that they are doing this and to help new bandits to avoid this kind of rookie mistake...if this type of information offends you then please don't bother commenting...keep scrolling.  

Please re-read my post, it was not aimed at you kazbo.

It was a balance to your statement that you should not drink and eat with a band!

It appears my statements did offend you personally, try some of your own advice and please don't bother commenting.......keep scrolling.

I don't remember ever being told not to drink while I eat, I find it does the opposite of helping food slide through. If something isn't going through very nicely the water just backs up and makes me need to throw up, which isn't overly pleasant :P

• Like 3

I feel the same bandedjules, you can feel it sitting on top of the blockage it's horrible!

• Like 1

Water just sits on top of my food as well!  And heaven forbid if I try a fizzy drink..read that as advice but for me I can only take the smallest sip and it just about kills me and does nothing to get food moving down or up!

The water thing is the main thing that I wish I could manage better with the band.  I find I'm drinking quite a bit less now.  When I'm the most thirsty is soon after eating but I have to wait a good hour before anything apart from a tiny sip goes down comfortably.  And if I try and get my fill in some time before a meal, I find the food sits on top of the water...don't even know if that makes sense!  But it's much more of a management effort now to try and get a decent amount of water down each day - in winter that would be 2 litres which I'm having trouble doing.

• Like 1