Hey,

I am new to all of this and i am taking out my PHI in a fortnight. I am planning on going with medibank, what have others thought of this PHI?

Also, apparently there are doctors that have gap cover which means that you are not out of pocket (only the excess) has anyone gone through this way?

I also heard you can access your super in order to pay for out of pocket expenses, has anyone done this and succeeded?

thank you and sorry for so many questions.

I just want to make sure I have my fact rights!

Hi Taaamy, I'm sure you'll find heaps of info just reading through this forum. I am in se melb. also. I chose to go through CWLS and they were able to give me all the info and documents I needed to access my super,(YES! it can be done). it took a little time to get all paper work done but worth it in the end because that was the only way I could have gotten the surgery. I was with HCF, but have since changed to Medibank. The hospital fees were covered by phi, paid excess only. Now the surgeon is the large expense, $5.500, then there is anaesthetist, which you really can't choose because it is whoever is on that day, another approx. $800 oop, possibly more.   Unless you go public ( if that is even possible?) I don't think there are any surgeons that have no out of pocket. My large fee includes all follow up and fills/adjustments , dietician, pre-op physician, sleep study, I go to Berwick for my fills and had my surgery in Berwick. I hope some of your ? s have been answered. 
Good Luck

Thanks hereigo. How early did you access your super? Im going with medibank also, cheapest one I found.

I have checked with medibank and. They cover it. I make it VERY clear that this is my intention of getting phi. :) thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Hi taaamy,

Good luck with all your research! I hope you are able to get onto the appropriate level of PHI cover, just be sure you check, check and triple check that the PHI coverage you opt for will actually cover all the relevant item numbers, including any post-op care and follow up visits. As far as the no gap coverage, I'm pretty sure that no surgeons are participating in this any longer sadly. I suspect there was too much pressure from the federal government due to the numbers of Laplanders tripling in the last three years.

I was banded as a private patient with Mr. Andrew Smith (Glen Iris Private) and there was only one out of pocket fee - this included the surgical assistant and anaesthetist, along with all of the follow up visits I require, for about $3,300 total o.o.p. It may also be cheaper to have the procedure done as a day procedure, and avoid the hospital fees, excess etc. though your surgeon will determine whether or not you'd be a candidate for day stay only.

• Like 1